Hill End, along with all the other clubs, were in deep mourning after losing their favourite son in Reg Bacon. Reg had been a powerhouse at Hill End over many years – coaching, playing, selling, delegating and doing odd jobs around the place. He was a life-member of Hill End and the MGFL and was also in the MGFL Hall of Fame. He was a big man with big ideas and had green and gold blood running through his veins. Vale Reg.

Hill End would have liked to celebrate Reg’s life with a win but Yarragon had other plans and finished their season on a high with a solid win over the Hillmen. A five goal to nil second term gave the Panthers a solid break at half time.

Eleven goals to four after half time gave the Panthers bragging rights for the day as they ran out winners 17-15 to 6-4 in a day of sadness for Hill End.

Mitch Jolly kicked six goals while eight team-mates scored the rest. Yarragon’s best were Devin Pollock, Mitch Jolly, Rob Wallace and Jake Buckingham while for the Enders Bayley Paul, Dillon Clark, Rohan Richards and Clay Ketchen all battled against the odds.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Trafalgar secured top position with a 17/1 season and now have a week’s rest in preparation for a second semi playoff in a fortnight’s time.

The Bloods made it hard work against a pumped up Morwell East side who missed out this season finishing in sixth position. It was a swan song match for Morwell East coach Colin King who has guided the Hawks over a number of years, he and 17 other coaches across Gippsland have announced their retirements.

Trafalgar had no illusions as to their task in their last home and away match and hit the scoreboard only after 20 seconds. Further goals to Daniel Hayes (2), Lochlan Farrell and Ben Doran put the Bloods up by five goals mid-way through the term but Morwell East however fought back and Frankie Marks bagged two within three minutes to give the East some encouragement. The quarter seemed to drag on and after 27 minutes it was time-out as both team earned a brief respite.

Morwell East scored in the first minute of the second albeit a minor score but that was all the Hawks could manage it what was a hard slog for them. Trafalgar playing the short game to perfection had plenty of players prepared to run and chip. Ben Doran being the first to goal then Daniel Hayes bagged another goal, Damien Mann and Tyson Leys also getting on the board. The Bloods shared the ball around and by half time they were 9-9 to 2-5. Trafalgar were prepared to play in front and tackle hard and by the half had 16 free kicks to four.

The Hawks came out hard in the third and took the game up to Trafalgar, Frankie Marks was a riot and Andrew Brown was again a tower in the ruck but at times his rovers were not smart enough to pick up the palm outs. Morwell East had most of the play but inaccuracy robbed them of valuable goals. A 2-6 term was poor reward for some strong play. Trafalgar were held almost scoreless but managed a goal from a goal square scramble just on siren time but Morwell East players protested.

Trafalgar just played out the last term and scored a lazy 2-6 while the East struggled and finished their final quarter for the season with only one behind as Trafalgar ran out winners 12-15 to 5-12.

Damien Hayes finished with four goals to be the best scorer on the day. Traf’s best were Tyson Leys, Austin Byrne, David and Matt Van Schajik while for the East Brandon Francis, Frankie Marks, Dylan Field and Shaun Barnes all came under notice.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


In a tight match Thorpdale made it home by a point in what was an important game for the Blues. It was the fourth successive win over Newborough but their closest since 2015.

It was close all day with scores level at the first break, Newborough skipped ahead by half time but a five goal third term fightback led by Ed Greene brought the Blues to within three points going into the last quarter.

Newborough had chances in the final term but Thorpdale with two goals were able to grab the point in a tight finish 11-11 to 10-16 showing the value of accurate kicking.

Ed Greene finished with seven goals for Thorpdale while Newborough had seven goalkickers. Greene, Corey Celima, Phil Bennett and Matt Powell were best for Thorpy while for the Bulldogs their season has ended but Matt Slattery, Liam Carloan, Josh Bland and Jarred Risol all fought it out to the end.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


With James Dowling in superb form, the Magpies were far too good for their neighbours Boolarra in a one sided venture.

Dowling finish the day with eight goals which possibly his highest game tally for a long while. As expected Yinnar showed from the start they meant business and rapidly had 13 shots at goals for 6-7 in a first term effort.

The Magpies continued the trend over the next three terms and eventually racked up 18-16 to Boolarra’s 2-4. Boolarra for the second successive season without a win and have stretched their losing tally to 38, but the Demons have a bright prospect - they have re-appointed Tony Giardina as coach next season with a promise of new recruits and a few ex’s returning.

Yinnar live again next week in the start of the finals. Matt Williams, Nathan Rowley, Danny Campbell and of course James Dowling were best for Yinnar while for Boolarra it was James Holmes, Daniel Wilson, Chris Risely and the whole team who battled it out right to the finish in what has been a frustrating season for Boolarra.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Mirboo North jumped out the blocks against YYN and through the efforts of Tristan Salerno, Ben Stoertebecker and Tim Traill the Tigers established a three goal buffer going into the second term.

Conditions were heavy but players adjusted and produced good passages of play. YYN came out breathing fire in the second and moved the ball around keeping possession. Dean McDonald was their target up front and he didn’t let the team down although a couple of shots missed the big opening. The Bombers closed ranks and cut off Mirboo North’s avenue to goal, It took 18 minutes for the Bombers to slowly claw their way back into the action and when Tyler Brown scored his second the Bombers had hit the front.

Keenan Hughes was playing a pivotal role for YYN and he popped through two goals to give him an impressive day. Dylan Bath was starring for YYN and he received good support from the Hughes boys. Dean McDonald was edging ever closer to the “ton” but unselfish play robbed him of the triple figures and he was content to finish with a grand tally of 94 goals.

Mirboo North after being rocked by YYN’s second quarter of 7-3 went into their shell and the second half became a slog as a heavy shower during the half time break made conditions slippery. The Bombers went wide and scored 4-10 for the second half while Mirboo North could only manage 2-1 as YYN finished the roster season on a good 12-15 to 6-4 win.

Dean McDonald and Keenan Hughes finished with four each while Tim Traill bagged three for the Tigers. Dylan Bath, Josh Keyhoe, Barrie Burnett and the Hughes boys all got awards for YYN while for the Tigers Riley Oddy, Joe Brooks, Clancy Bennett and Zac Kilgower gave their best.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Website: | Twitter:


Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.