Boisdale-Briagolong needed to win this game to make the finals, there was no other option.

Wy Yung were unlikely to move from third spot on the ladder – win, lose or draw – and with potentially meeting the Bombers the following week, may have used this game to have a bit of a look at how their opponents were going to tackle them.

And tackle them they did. Boisdale’s troops came out firing early, putting on three majors before Wy Yung scored one of their own halfway through the first term. The Bombers use of linking handball was evident in their success early in the game. They were efficient moving into their forward 50, with three of their four 1st quarter goals coming from set shots. The Tigers’ only goal of the quarter came from a spillage from a marking contest, but at that point it was an important goal for the visitors as the home side had their opponents under siege. This goal alleviated some of the pressure and Wy Yung found themselves in control of the play for the last five minutes. However, they were unable to capitalise and only added two behinds before the quarter time siren.

After the first break the Tigers came out firing, clunking a poster before nailing the first goal of the second. After this time the arm wrestle began. Both sides tightened their defences and forced disposal errors on each other. As a result scoring dried up, play kept rebounding between the two 50m arcs and there were plenty of boundary throw ins. A flurry of behinds were registered by both teams until the end of the term when Wy Yung broke the goal drought with a nice goal from the pocket 50m out (view goal below – if you are unable to view visit Less than a minute later the half time siren sounded and all of a sudden the visitors were only five points down.

After the main break the arm wrestle continued with both sides unable to gain any meaningful ascendancy early. Scoring again was becoming problematic and both teams struggled to capitalise on any control of the play. Boisdale-Briagolong had kept Wy Yung at arms length for majority of the quarter when around 17 minutes into the quarter a golden opportunity for the Bombers went begging to push out the margin. Wy Yung responded with a goal and once again the Tigers found themselves in striking distance, only two points behind the Bombers. With their finals hopes on the line, the home side responded. A goal from a set shot on the boundary line at the 24 minute mark pushed the lead back out to eight points. Then a mark and set shot in the forward 50 sailed through the middle just after the 3/4 time siren to give the Bombers a 14 point lead. (view goal below – if you are unable to view visit

The final quarter saw a scrappy and dour affair between both sides who once again struggled to score goals. Apart from a cracking goal from Wy Yung’s Wes Russell (view goal below – if you are unable to view visit, the crowd would not see another major until the 18 minute mark when the Bombers broke through. They would add one more before the final siren sounded.

As it turns out Boisdale-Briagolong sung their song for the final time this year, as it was soon discovered Lindenow defeated Stratford, killing the Bombers’ chances of a finals berth.

Gippsland Footy admin


Stratford gave a couple of younger players a run, and key midfielder Gavin Bickery suffered a severe foot injury, which will be operated on this week.

The Cats led from the start, with Stratford kicking just one goal in the first and final terms.

Lindenow’s Darren Allen kicked six goals to finish on top of the home-and-away season’s goal kickers list, with 54, just in front of Stratford’s Haydn Erfurth, on 50 — he kicked two in the match, as did tall forward Tim Hawkins.

Best for Stratford was ruckman Lachie Heywood, while best for Lindenow was Luke Dyer.

Stratford finished the season on top of the ladder, and will play Lakes Entrance in the second semi-final on September 1.

Alex Ford - Gippsland Times


Lakes Entrance finished the home and away season in style with a strong win over Orbost-Snowy Rovers.

With second place sewn up, the Seagulls went to town on the visitors who have struggled all year.

The game was over at half time with the home side up by 45 points at the long break. Lakes then went on to kick 9.11 in the second half. OSR kicked three of their four goals in the last quarter after being kept scoreless in the third term.

Alex Saunders and Anthony Bence kicked 4 goals each for Lakes Entrance, with the former named best-on-ground.

Braeden Ross was the only multiple goal kicker for the Rovers with 2, while Hamish Nettleton capped off his consistent season being named best for his side on the day.

Gippsland Footy admin


With a finals spot on the line, Lucknow were not going to die wondering. In the process they pumped the living daylights out of Paynesville, who are one of two EGFNL teams that have struggled throughout the year.

Lucknow amazingly had 14 scoring shots in the first quarter, but had a poor return with only four of them registering as a major.

The Pies would then pile on 4.5 in the second, 4.5 in the third and 5.7 in the last term to run away with a 129 point win.

The Gulls kicked their only goal in the first quarter. They only managed to register one behind in the second, four behinds in the third and one behind in the last quarter to take their tally to 1.6 for the game.

Jacob Green and Keenan Hynes had days out with 6 goals each for Lucknow, with Andrew Nelson named best-on-ground.

Paynesville’s sole goal came from Lachlan Willmott, while club best & fairest winner Dave Ashworth was named best for his side on the day.

Gippsland Footy admin


Website: | Twitter:


Lindenow v Stratford match review taken from article written by Alex Ford reporting for Gippsland Times. To view original article online in full visit

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.