Foster ran over the top of MDU in the last clash of the season on Saturday. Although the ground was boggy, Foster adjusted quickly and showcased some accurate kicking early.

With a lot of opportunities close to the goal posts, Foster kicked six straight in the first quarter. This goal kicking campaign was led by Thomas McGowan, who kicked seven for the game. Foster’s Brendan Neville also played a crucial role, winning the ball in the middle. MDU managed to get one goal across the line, however MDU never threw in the towel.

In the second quarter, the Demons upped their game. Although Foster still managed six more goals, the competition picked up and the Tigers felt more pressure on the ball.

MDU found its pace and had a bit more of the ball in the third quarter. The defence was formidable, and Foster struggled to cause more damage on the scoreboard. The Demons were able to put some easy goals on the board, and showcased some impressive ball movement. For MDU, onballers Tom Corry, Josh Wright and Jess Hickey were valuable assets, playing consistently and moving the ball well in the middle.

However, Foster hit its stride in the fourth quarter and ran away with it. Coach Brad Rooney brought Luke Galle out of the back line, who kicked three quick goals for Foster. This started a pattern, and more goals were added to the scoreboard by Foster’s tough forwards. Foster went home with a convincing win.

Sarah Vella - The Great Southern Star


Despite the final scoreboard suggesting a close game was had on Saturday, the Stony Creek Lions remained in full control as they defeated Toora by 22-points in the last game of the home and away season. In what was a big day for the club with the McKnight family being honoured with the naming of the grandstand, the Lions were keen to get the job done for the home crowd.
A three-goal breeze favoured the highway end of the ground and the home side took a little time to make the most of it. They kicked the first three goals of the game late in the quarter and took a 20-point lead heading into the first change.
Given the unfavourable conditions it wasn’t a day for the big forwards like Kael Bergles who only managed the two goals for the game. However, the man never leaves his fans without a highlight, nailing a brilliant goal from the boundary defying the breeze and bending it through early in the second quarter. Jacob Byrnes also joined in as the Lions took a 30-point lead into the long break.
The Magpies game out fighting in the third managing to hold the home side scoreless with the wind and slotting two majors of their own to bring back the margin. Peter ‘Cat’ Grant was superb in the midfield along with Jack Weston who were willing their team back into the contest. The margin was just 16 points at three quarter time and it looked to be anyone’s game.
But the Lions gritted their teeth and hit the scoreboard straight away in the last quarter to make the Magpies’ job even harder. Jack Sorocznski kicked his second major for the Lions while Jack Nolan also slotted a beauty into the wind to seal the deal. 
South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Tarwin played host to Fish Creek on Saturday on the best surface in the competition, with the rain clearing and the wind dying down by the time the senior group took the ground.
Kangas young gun Ayden Wilson scored the first goal, but early inaccuracies kept the Sharks in the contest, with big forward Kevin McLean having his second run for the day proving hard to handle and kicking Tarwin’s first two goals. Fish Creek had plenty of scoring shots but multiple misses to Seccull and Hunt as well as a close miss to Wilson and a poster to Straw had the Creek 2.7 to 2.2 at the first break.
McLean kicked another for Tarwin and the Sharks had the lead early in the second quarter, proving that they had come to play. Kilsby, Ellen and Taber were becoming a handful for the Fish Creek on ball brigade and when McLean kicked his fourth, the Sharks were up and about. Fish Creek’s defenders however had other ideas and through Hayes and Macri, started to shut down the forwards. A coast to coast goal through Hunt to Cameron to Manne and onto Seccull saw the Kangas settle and momentum start to swing. Goals to Shaw, Hunt and another to Seccull had Fishy out to a 14-point lead at half time.
Fish Creek came out after the break full of run and banged on five quick goals in 10 minutes to put the game to bed. Seccull and Hunt were dangerous up forward as the very silky Ethan Park and Harfield-Park were getting to work around the stoppages. Ellen for Tarwin was busy out on his wing along with Whalebone and Dobson. Fish Creek kept the Sharks to one point for the quarter while Fish Creek’s own poor goal kicking prevented the match from blowing right out. The Kangas were 61 points ahead at three-time, taking full advantage of the handful of tiring Tarwin players in their second game for the day.
More goals to Seccull, Shaw, Hunt and Wilson saw the Kangas skip away to a 101-point win as the heavens opened up again. Seccull bagged nine for the afternoon, one of eight goal kickers for the Roos. McLean had five for Tarwin out of seven.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Website: | Twitter:


MDU v Foster match review taken from article written by Sarah Vella reporting for the Great Southern Star. To view original article in full online visit

Stony Creek v Toora and Tarwin v Fish Creek match reviews taken from articles published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original articles in full online subscribe to South Gippsland Sentinel Times here

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.