Warragul Industrials secured an Ellinbank District Football League qualifying linal berth with a strong victory over Catani, 13-10 (88) to 6-15 (51). The reigning premier will now have to advance through the finals the long way, starting with an elimination final against Poowong.
With their form wavering over the mid-part of the season, the Industrials made a return to the strong form that puts them well and truly in the premiership mix. With so much on the line it was a tight start, the Industrials leading by just four points at the first change. A snap from a boundary throw in countered an early Catani goal before consecutive 50 metre penalties gifted the Industrials the lead. Tom Keily, who had kicked the opening goal of the match, went inboard to Wade Haysom to put the Blues back in front. A long goal to the Industrials to finish the quarter would begin a run of five consecutive majors to help the visitor take control of the match.
A 50 metre penalty for encroaching the mark gave Industrials coach Joel Morgan a rare shot on goal and he didn’t waste the opportunity. Will Jolley snapped forward for the Industrials, providing an opening for Josh Peterson to checkside a goal from the pocket. Shane Ingham centred to Shane Brewster, who juggled the mark and kicked one of his three goals for the afternoon. Peterson ran into the open goal as the Industrials stretched their lead. Haysom snapped his second for some momentary relief for the Blues, but the Industrials moved forward through a free kick for holding the ball to find Mitch Davies in space for the quick reply. Holding a 23-point lead at the main break, any thoughts of a Catani comeback such as the one that saw the Blues fight for a draw the last time they met were quickly extinguished. Aside from Stephen Ballingall being forced to the bench for the blood rule on multiple occasions and Russell Ware suffering the inconvenience of being bitten by a wasp while waiting to come back on, the Industrials had little trouble in controlling the match.
A long goal to Davies began the third term and he again found himself on the end of it moments later after Tye Holland had found himself in space. The umpires were hot on the 50 metre penalties throughout the match and this time it was Dylan Williams who took benefit from an indiscretion into the protected zone. Brewster countered with a long goal from a 50 metre penalty before Dale Johnson hit back on the scoreboard, again by virtue of a 50 metre penalty.
Holding a five goal advantage at the final change, the Industrials ran through their 12th goal early in the final term to effectively kill the contest. An arm wrestle ensued for the majority of the final term until the Blues ran the ball to the line for a consolation goal late in the piece. Brewster flew for the mark to score the final goal of the match. Tyson Bale sent the ball f01ward on several occasions, Cooper Minichiello and Peterson defended strongly while a cut head demonstrated Ballingall’s efforts to go after the ball. Davies and Brewster complemented well up fowvard in a complete performance for the Industrials as they build towards finals.
Thomas Van Diemen, Haysom, James Alexander, Brayden Kennedy, Liam Adams and Paul Pattison battled hard for a Blues outfit that just couldn’t quite go with the Industrials.
Warragul & Drouin Gazette


Longwarry was a class above Lang Lang, recording a ruthless 90-point win 16.10 (106) to 2. 4 (16).

Crows playing-coach Daniel Fry was electric up forward with seven goals, while Jake Delphine and Braydon McHugh (five goals) did as they pleased.

Troy McPherson and Josh Brown were warriors for the Tigers in another tough outing.

Hayley Wildes - Pakenham Gazette


Nilma-Damum took a confidence boosting victory over Neerim-Neerim South, 10-9 (69) to 6-8 (44).

The Bombers took full toll to the scoring end booting five goals in the first and third terms to set up the comfortable victory as they build for 2019.

Three goals in the second term helped the Cats bridge the gap, but with the Bombers kicking back out to a five goal advantage it proved a budge too far 1n the final term.

Mitchell Dance kicked four goals, while Ben Campbell, Nicholas Murray, James Bourke, Chris Larosa, Thomas Shannon and Travis Dyke also stood tall for the Bombers.

Chris Charles, Aaron Fawcett, Nicholas Castle, Jackson Ward, Nathan Bayne and Steven Heath led a competitive effort from the Cats.

Warragul & Drouin Gazette


An inaccurate Nyora has just managed to sneak over the line and claim a nine point win over Ellinbank in the penultimate home and away game for 2018.

The Saints kicked an incredible eight goals and 17 behinds and yet were still able to narrowly escape with victory.

It was all about the Eagles early on with forward Adam Cook standing tall and getting himself on the scoreboard along with Mark Vassett who also slotted a nice goal to give the away side the early momentum. It took four behinds before the Saints could finally register their first goal as they trailed by 17-points at quarter time.

Although they controlled a lot more of the play in the second quarter Nyora struggled to convert on the scoreboard, posting another six behinds in the term. Ryan Spooner and Rhys Bancroft were the dynamic duo through the centre of the ground but it was the forwards who lacked polish, heading into half time still 12 points down.

It was the same again in the third, one goal to Ilan Osman but another five behinds followed. If the Saints were able to find the big sticks the scoreboard could’ve been completely different. Cook slotted his fifth for the Eagles and it looked like the second loss for the season was on the horizon for Nyora, trailing by eight points at the final change.

Chris Hodges slotted his second in the last quarter to bring the margin back to two points before a series of Ellinbank behinds kept the door Open for Osman to kick his fourth and steal the win for the Saints.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Poowong welcomed Buln Buln for the last home game for the year. The day started off in heavy rain, resulting in a water logged ground early. As the day progressed, the water disappeared; though heavy underfoot, the ground was okay. Poowong was fortunate to avoid any more rain, though it threatened a few times.
It was an important day for both teams as they reflected on the loss of members and supporters with Katrina Cochrane, Ann Cecil and Graeme Sell to cancer. Both teams, the umpires and executives lined up and held a minutes silence in memory of the lost members with proceeds of the game going to the Cancer Council plus donations made during the day. Congratulations to both clubs on the initiative to support a great cause the Cancer Council of Australia to help find a cure to this awful disease.
Poowong needed to win to ensure a place in the finals; the first time for many years. Buln Buln was looking to finish the season off in a positive way. Poowong gained Ben Hancock but lost captain Jameel Knecht for the match.
Buln Buln kicked to the Drouin Road end and started off positively determined to make a statement early, but the first forward thrust resulted in a point. Poowong forced the ball forward and Ben Hancock grabbed the ball off the pack and goaled for Poowong. From the bounce, Buln Buln goaled from a snap followed by a point and then a goal from a free kick and penalty. Trent Baker from Buln Buln was giving it plenty of drive from the centre and the Lyrebirds added two more points and a goal. Poowong kicked a late point to be down by 14 points at quarter time and had a lot of work to do to get back into the game.
Whatever was said at the quarter time huddle worked. Trevor Hooker marked and goaled, followed by a point to Lachie Green. In the next 10 minutes, Poowong added goals to Chris Doria, Ben Hancock two and a second to Trevor Hooker for the quarter to be suddenly leading by 17 points. Poowong’s small men Lachie Green, Jake Hazendonk, Tim Francis, Thomas Wyatt, Jack Commadeur and Matt Cozzio were working hard around the ground and with Poowong’s backline lead by Jayden Sullivan holding firm and the great work of Chris Robinson around the ground they looked to have the advantage.
The Poowong players were working hard around the ground but struggled to kick goals and added 2.7 for the quarter with goals to Chris Doria and Trevor Hooker. Buln Buln added one goal one to trail by 29 points at three quarter time.
The last quarter was a real tussle with the ball moving up and down the ground, but Poowong failed again to hit the big sticks, managing one goal four and keeping Buln Buln to a point. The only goal for Poowong came from a pass from Trevor Hooker to Jake Hazendonk. Final scores were Poowong 9.14.68 to Buln Buln 4.6.30. It was a 38 point victory and guaranteed a finals berth.
Nominated in Poowong’s best were Chris Robinson, Jayden Sullivan, Jake Hazendonk, Tim Hancock, Michael Harris and TimFrancis, but many could have been in the mix including Thirds player Jai Newcombe and Senior player Josh Chivaroli.
For Buln Buln, Simon Dawson, Matt Gray and Harry Wans battled hard all day.
The Great Southern Star


Website: | Twitter:


Catani v Warragul Industrials and Nilma-Darnum v Neerim-Neerim South match reviews taken from article published by Warragul & Drouin Gazette. To view original article in full online subscribe to Warragul & Drouin Gazette here

Longwarry v Lang Lang match review taken from article written by Hayley Wildes reporting for Pakenham Gazette. To view original article in full online subscribe to Pakenham Gazette here

Nyora v Ellinbank match review taken from article published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original article in full online subscribe to South Gippsland Sentinel Times here

Poowng v Buln Buln match review taken from article published by The Great Southern Star. To view original article on full online subscribe to The Great Southern Star here

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.