Cora Lynn 17.18.120
Korumburra-Bena 4.7.31

The Cobras are on the board!

Perennial powerhouse Cora Lynn has claimed its first scalp for the season with a dominant 17.18.120 to 4.7.31 victory over Korumburra-Bena at the Cobradome.

Such a win – against a team battling in the bottom reaches of the ladder – normally wouldn’t rate highly at Cora Lynn, but need and necessity gave this one a boost in importance.

After five consecutive losses, first-season coach Shaun Sparks finally tasted success.

“I think the guys really deserved this win to be honest, considering what we’ve been through over the first five weeks,” Sparks said.

“We never really flinched or moved away from what we were doing, but just to see the smiles on the faces was pretty rewarding on the weekend.

“They’ve worked hard, and it was just nice to get a win on the board to kick start our season.”

Those outside the four walls have understandably been asking questions, the main one being…What’s happened to Cora Lynn? Sparks has a simple explanation.

“In my time playing and coaching I’ve never seen anything like what we’ve been through over the first five weeks,” he said.

“The flu, Covid, injury…I think last week was the first time where the team stayed the same from Thursday night selection to Saturday morning.

“I had to pull on the boots myself against Nar Nar Goon, it got that bad…at times it’s been a nightmare.

“But all the way through we knew where we were at, we just needed time to overcome that early adversity and now there are positive signs that we are coming out the other side.

“I know other clubs have had their challenges, but I don’t think any club has been what we’ve been through over the first five weeks of the season.”

Despite losing his first five games at the helm, Sparks had already seen signs that his time would improve rapidly over the season.

“We’ve been pushed from pillar to post, and I’ve been impressed with some of our performances,” he said.

“We pushed Phillip Island to five points, the Tooradin game we were only 20 points down during the third quarter…and we’re going to be a much different team at the end of the season compared to what we were at the start.

“That’s the most exciting thing for us all at Cora Lynn.”

The Cobras midfield dominated proceedings, with running-machine Jaxon Briggs booting four goals and Chris Johnson, Heath Briggs and Tom Stiglich having a mountain of football around the ground.

Gun full-forward Nathan Gardiner was back to his best, kicking four goals, while youngster Jett Edwards slotted two.

Daniel Brown, Paul Fermanis, Bailey Nation and Byron Walker kicked a goal each for the Giants…who head to Bunyip this week.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Dalyston 2.5.17
Nar Nar Goon 11.7.73

Nar Nar Goon continues to put one foot in front of the other, banking four points with every step, after an 11.7.73 to 2.5.17 win over Dalyston.

There was nothing flashy about this one for the Goon, with a four-goal opening term their most productive output of the match.

Mitch Homfray led the scoring with three, while two each to Brendan Hermann, Matt Homfray, Troy McDermott and Dermott Yawney provided too many avenues for the Magpies to hunt down.

Hermann was terrific for the Goon, in his 150th game, while James Cairns and primemover Trent Armour were others to shine. Hayden Wallis and Mick Marotta were best for the Magpies.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Garfield 4.8.32
Tooradin Dalmore 24.14.158

Tooradin-Dalmore has warmed up for its biggest test of the season with a 24.14.158 to 4.8.32 thumping of Garfield as Beswick Street.

Unless our eyes are deceiving us, the Seagulls rattled on an incredible 13-goal second term to totally put the contest to bed.

Stewie Scanlon continued his dangerous form of late, booting eight majors, while Julian Suarez with four was the main focal point on the ground. Scanlon, Jimmy Trezise and Piva Wright were brilliant for the Gulls and will take some great form into this week’s classic contest against Inverloch.

Garfield’s best, Joel Batson, Jonty Bow and Lachie Sauze will be looking for a more competitive team performance when the Stars head to Kooweerup this Saturday.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Inverloch Kongwak 15.15.105
Bunyip 6.10.46
Inverloch-Kongwak blooded under 18s duo Will Turner and Hayden Lindsay and looked to get back on the winner’s list against the travelling Bunyip.
The hosts started well, winning the first centre clearance and pushing the ball forward, although the slippery conditions made it tough to finish their work early.
Kicking with a slight wind advantage, the Sea Eagles were inaccurate despite generating plenty of scoring chances.
The Bulldogs showed fight throughout the first term, repeatedly surging the ball forward, but were unable to break past Shem Hawking who was superb in defence.
The ball was locked in the ‘dead pocket’ where the wind blew for much of the quarter, making it tough for the hosts to score although their forward pressure was immense. IK took a 15-point lead into the first break, having kicked the only two goals of the match through Hughes and Tristan Van Driel.
The Sea Eagles began the second term with fast ball movement through star midfielder Lachlan Scott, but again were unable to convert. Bunyip amped up their pressure through the midfield and mounted a drive of their own, although the inaccuracy
became contagious as they missed also.
Having missed last round, gun ruckman Marcus Toussaint picked up right where he left off, dominating the ruck contests around the ground and giving the IK midfielders first use. Inaccuracy in front of goal continued to plague both sides, despite the slick, high-quality ball movement. The visitors were able to create repeat forward entries through pressure and their wind advantage, with Will Papley cutting off a kick out, but his flying shot missed left.
Bunyip continued to press hard but could not find a major to show for their efforts.
Finally, late in the quarter Bunyip were able to work it down the grandstand wing and find their first goal of the afternoon through Xavier Kinder on the run. The late major cutting the Sea Eagles lead to 33 at the main break.
Third quarter scoring got underway thanks to a great shot by Thomas Wyatt from deep in the ‘dead pocket’. The hosts executed their forward press to perfection for much of the contest and Clark’s tackle inside forward 50 led to Lachlan Johnson’s first. The IK pressure never rescinded, and the hosts started to put the foot down as the lead grew to 72 going into the final break.
IK came out hard once again in the fourth but were inaccurate early until a brilliant play from Soumilas and Turner in transition led to another Van Driel goal. Conditions dried out and the ball movement accelerated, the ball pinballing between
the 50 arcs. Ashleigh Allen broke the stalemate with the Bulldogs’ second major, sparking a resurgence in his side. Through their own forward press the visitors were able to punch on four unanswered goals to trim the lead back to 54 points.
The Bulldogs dominated play in the final term, young gun Will Papley doing all he could to keep his side in it. Turner’s third goal broke the ‘Dogs run and absolutely delighted his mates behind the goals, extending the lead back to 60 points.
Bunyip managed to answer, but it was all too late for the visitors.
Turner was magnificent on debut, kicking four goals playing as a small forward showing he is comfortable at the level. IK collecting the four points with a solid 59-point victory.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times, written by Aiden Box.
Koo Wee Rup 5.10.40
Phillip Island 11.20.86
With several significant ‘outs’ both on and off the field, the Bulldogs entered the main game with two first gamers (for the season) being Jack Opitz and Jesse Patullo.
A tricky wind favouring the scoreboard end prevailed in the mostly dry conditions. And a hot welcome indeed.
The Demons jumped out of the blocks and dominated the first quarter. With the defence under the pump led by Daniel Pearce, it was the defensive group that kept the Island boys within striking distance.
The Voss boys led the Demons and mid-way through the second the locals still had the lead. A solid collision for Jason (Sauce) Tomada midway through the quarter saw the ‘claret’ flow, and a hasty patch up from the Bulldogs trainers followed.
A couple of late goals to the Bulldogs generated from excellent mid-field play from Eli Richards again dominating and combining with Captain Youle, and the Bulldogs led by six at the main break.
With the breeze still favouring the scoreboard end, a see-saw battle took place in the third. The Bulldogs kicked the first scores, with the coach’s bench relaxing ever so slightly. But then the Demons applied the heat again, kicking a couple of goals and entering time-on with scores locked together.
To reinforce how tough it was in the defensive quarter, another heavy collision saw the trainers busy with another round of ‘claret’ clean-up. A late goal to the Bulldogs, and a slim six-point lead at three-quarter time.
The last stanza started well with the Bulldogs at last beginning to dominate and move the ball with some trademark precision into the forward line. Enter Jordy Patullo and Jack Taylor. With Jordy kicking goals from long distance, and Jack creating opportunities across the forward line, combined with central heat from Zak Vernon and Cam Pedersen, the Bulldogs took over. Peppering the goals with five goals 11 in the last, the Bulldogs ran out 46-point winners over a fierce and gallant Demons effort.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Warragul Industrials 22.13.145
Kilcunda Bass 7.6.48

Star forward Mason McGarrity has led the Warragul Industrials to a top five spot after destroying Kilcunda Bass by 97 points.

McGarrity kicked an incredible 10 goals as the Dusties won their third in a row, the final score being 22.13 (145) to 7.6 (48).

It wasn’t all forward line heroics however, as the defensive improvements the Dusties have made over the first few weeks of the season were evident for all to see.

Indeed, Warragul kept their opponents to just four goals in the first half while McGarrity did as he pleased up the other end.

The Dusties were also served well through the middle of the ground by Kyle Beveridge and Nic Visser, who got on top of the Kilcunda Bass midfield early and did not relent.

Marcus Baxter kicked four goals for the Panthers, but was the only genuine target the visitors had for much of the day as their forward line appeared quite one dimensional at times.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.



Buln Buln 5.12.42
Ellinbank 12.7.79

Ellinbank signalled its return to form with a comfortable victory over form side Buln Buln in round six of Ellinbank District football.

Ellinbank scored the first two goals of the game before Buln Buln found Jack Symes over the back, with his kick from mid air in the goal square closing the gap to nine-points at the first change.

The visitor then got a run on as they booted five of the next six. Adam Cook held his ground well and found Tim Mashado unchecked in the goal square to start the run.

Buln Buln’s next opportunity was set up through a kick poked forward by James Fowler, but it did little to halt Ellinbank’s momentum.

A sliding mark from Nathaniel Paredes added another before Cook converted after receiving high contact in a ruck contest.

Two Buln Buln defenders scrambled to chase a dribble kick but couldn’t get there as Ellinbank began to take control.

Sam Batson made a good spoil, but unfortunately for the Lyrebirds it deflected into the path of Ryan Atherton who found Anthony Battista on the lead.

When Ellinbank emerged from the changerooms to begin the second half, they came out having set the game up with a seven goal to two first half to take a 35-point lead. A strong second term with five goals to one set up the buffer following a tight start.

Despite missing coach Bob McCallum, the proud Lyrebirds side were sure of providing a response in the second half.

Missed opportunities would again haunt the home side, with a run of 10 consecutive behinds putting paid to any chance of fighting their way into the contest.

A Matt Gray mark with the flight and Hayden Baker goal from a holding the ball free kick gave Buln Buln the spark it needed to begin the third term.

Pierrehumbert was one of many to come into the game as the Lyrebirds began to dominate territory but missed set shots and shots in clear space went begging. Other players to help lift the Lyrebirds were Gray, Jared Lane, Timothy Stoll, Thomas Axford and Hayden Baker.

The assistance of a 50-metre penalty did little to help as the home team completed a run of nine consecutive minor scores.

To run salt into the wound, Ellinbank found a goal late in the quarter to still hold a 32-point advantage despite the hard work from Buln Buln.

Adding the first goal of the final term would effectively put paid to any chance of a miraculous comeback.

Daniel Pratt, Wragg, Paredes, Battista, Bryce Joyce and Zachery Holton had helped Ellinbank to its winning position.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette.

Catani 4.5.29
Longwarry 14.9.87

Catani’s winless start to the season continued on Saturday after a 43-point loss at the hands of Longwarry.

The Blues had to dig deep to remain in the contest with Mitchell Smith hitting the scoreboard to limit the damage.

Nathaniel Rodda and Darren Adams also kicked goals in the loss, while Longwarry’s Jedd Serong kicked three goals in the match to see his side claim the four points.

Braydon McHugh and Ben Cuckson also chimed in with doubles in the victory.

Winless Nilma Darnum had it’s backs firmly up against the wall when it faced Poowong at home.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by Lachlan Mitchell.

Yarragon 7.15.57
Trafalgar 11.5.71

Although it was Trafalgar who secured another Waterloo Cup, Yarragon lost no admirers in a competitive effort against the Bloods.

Indeed, the Panthers had more scoring shots in going down 11-5 (71) to 7-15 (57).

It was a competitive effort against one of the Ellinbank District football contenders Yarragon needed to further prove they are much improved and on the rise.

The early stages of the match threatened another dominant performance from the Bloods, as they booted six first quarter goals for the perfect start to Daniel Puglia’s milestone match.

Despite missing key forward Damian Mann, the Bloods still found an avenue to goal, led by the mobile Tyson Leys who would go on to finish the game with four majors.

Facing a 22-point deficit at the first change, the Panthers were able to tighten their defence and restrict opportunities for the opposition.

Despite this the Bloods were able to maintain a slight edge, booting four goals to three across the second and third terms to hold a 25-point buffer at the final change.

It was the Panthers who would finish strong, but a return of 2-6 to 1-1 stopped the home team short of producing an upset.

Captain Mitch Jolly finished with three goals, while other better players were Damien Allison, Toby Sherer, Lachlan Shaw, Tyler Hotchkin, Zak Hogton and Devin Pollock.

Helping the Bloods control the contest were Jace and Klay Butler, Blake Radford, Leys, Matthew Swenson and Drew O’ Brien.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Neerim South 20.14.134
Nyora 4.5.29

Rocked by illness, the Nyora Saints went into Saturday’s match with scarce numbers. The Saints were competitive early, trailing by just two goals at the first change.

While the Cats increased the lead to 32-points and kept the Saints scoreless in the second term, the visitor had done well to restrict the Cats to six goals.

Led by Kody Wilson, who would finish the match with five goals in a best afield effort, the Cats responded in a big second half.

Returns of seven goals in each of the third and fourth quarter pushed the margin to three figures.

Lachlan Bambridge and Josh White each chipped in with three goals with Tyssen Morrow, Cooper Clancy, Alexander Johnston and Ashley Locket also among the better players.

Helping the Saints make a competitive start were Kallon Rigby, Brodie Anderson, Jack Rosenow, Dylan Heylen, Max Mattock and Angus McGillivray. Playing coach Dylan Heylen said they played good-pressure football and moved the ball really well.
“Our boys ran out of legs in the second half and the quality of Neerim showed,” Heylen said.
“They kicked away, kicking a lot of unanswered goals. The boys fought hard till the end but didn’t have the answers.”

Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times and Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Nilma Darnum 1.1.7
Poowong 27.26.188
The ground and conditions were excellent for football. Poowong added Lachie Green to their side to replace Jameel Knecht, who was unavailable.
Poowong played four quarters of disciplined football, working hard all day to kick their highest score for many years 27.26.188 to Nilma Darnum 1.1.7 – a 181-point victory to help the club’s percentage.
Poowong’s forwards’ discipline was good with nine goal kickers: Alex Henshall 7, Steven McInnes 5, Jack Hazendonk 4, Will Robertson and Alex Doria three each, Cody Loughridge 2 and one each to Jayden Sullivan, Tom Robertson and Kurt Newton.
Nilma Darnum battled hard on the day but could not match Poowong.
The damage could have been greater for better accuracy, the Magpies only getting ahead of the ledger in the final term. Their returns at each of the breaks were 5-9, 9-18 and 18-22 before finally finding their range for 9-4 in the final term.
Nilma-Darnum’s final quarter consolation goal came through Korey Carrison. Sebastian Crowle, Jeremy Jarred, Harley Lacunes, Brady Einsiedel and Oxley Huson were the other better players for the Bombers.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times, written by Geoff Wyatt and Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.


Drouin 10.10.70
Bairnsdale 19.11.125
The planets finally aligned for Bairnsdale last Saturday playing four magnificent quarters of consistent contested football to record it’s first win of the Gippsland League season against Drouin in Round 6.
The Redlegs were led by six goals from coach Logan Austin and a best afield performance from talented midfielder Liam Giove as they stormed home in the final quarter with eight goals to the Hawks’ one.
In an even first quarter, Drouin led by three points at quarter time, with a fit Simon Deery a welcome addition to the Redlegs backline, instrumental as a leader and player.
Josh Wykes was getting his hand on the football in the ruck, while Byron Vickery was getting plenty of the football and Austin and Brayden McCarrey were looking dangerous up forward, the coach making a home deep in attack.
The Redlegs were playing good football and gaining confidence, holding a slender six-point lead at half time and the signs were positive. Bairnsdale kicked three goals to two in the third quarter to establish a handy lead, but there was still plenty of
work to be done.
One would have sensed that the home side, with crowd support and playing on their own patch, would find something and raise a genuine challenge, but it wasn’t to be.
The Redlegs saved their best for last, playing their most productive quarter for the season, finishing full of run and ramming home 8 goals to one, winning by an impressive 55 points and in the process moving off the bottom
of the ladder.
Austin’s goal kicking bag was complemented by Jake Richards (three goals), and two each from McCarrey and John Gooch.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Leongatha 16.13.109
Warragul 6.5.41

It’s now Leongatha vs the rest as the Parrots maintained their perfect record to defeat Warragul by 68 points on Saturday.

The Gulls certainly weren’t left wanting for effort but couldn’t contain the bigger bodies of the Leongatha midfield as they went down 6.5 (41) to 16.13 (109).

The loss leaves Warragul a win and a half outside the top five, while Leongatha is now the only side in the Gippsland League to have not lost a game thanks to Sale’s win over Moe.

Remarkably, star forward Jed Lamb kicked all six of Warragul’s goals, which is the first time in league history a single player has kicked that many goals as their team’s lone goalkicker.

While that statistic itself was incredible, it does point towards one of the Gulls’ main problems on the day, that being their forward line.

Indeed, as it has been in other games this season, Lamb was the only Warragul target inside 50 able to reliably kick goals as their other forwards were kept well and truly quiet by the excellent Leongatha backline.

Jack Ginnane and Justin Pellicano both kicked three for the home team, who unlike their opponents were able to find a variety of ways to score.

Apart from Lamb it was the usual suspects for Warragul playing well, as Nick Graham continued his brilliant season in the midfield and Sean Masterson kept his intercept game rolling in the defensive half.

The game started reasonably well for the Gulls, as the tap work of ruck Mitchell Smart consistently gave Warragul first use, allowing Lamb to be isolated in one-on-one contests and kick three goals in the first term while Leongatha kicked three of their own.

The second term, however, saw the Parrots tighten up defensively, particularly on Lamb, who was unable to find the same ease of movement he had early.

Adding to this was the fact that the Leongatha midfield was starting to take control, particularly at the contest, with Tom Mariott and Cade Maskell doing what they do best.

Four Leongatha goals in the second term to just one for the Gulls allowed the margin to stretch out to 25 points at the main break, though the Gulls had hardly lost any admirers.

The fierce pressure that had defined their win over Traralgon last week was still present, but this time their opponents simply had the answers to the questions Warragul were asking.

Any hopes of a comeback were quickly erased in the third quarter as the Parrots found another gear, kicking seven goals to one to put the game beyond doubt heading into the final term.

The issue at that point was no longer that Warragul were unable to find space for their forwards, it was that Leongatha were almost completely depriving them of opportunities, keeping the ball locked in their forward half for most of the quarter.

By the time the final term started the game had clearly run its course, as Leongatha eased the foot off the pedal and went into conservation mode, kicking just two more goals for the game to Warragul’s one.

The game was plainly a case of Warragul losing to the best, and though their pressure and effort were of a good standard, their forward line continues to be their Achilles’ heel six weeks into the season. Improvement will be needed in this area if the Gulls hope to consistently contend against some of the top sides in the league.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette.

Maffra 11.11.77
Morwell 9.12.66
Maffra won a tight contest against Morwell.
Maffra jumped out of the blocks in the first quarter at home, kicking five goals to one. From there, Morwell edged its way back into the game, but the Eagles were always able to maintain a lead of around two to three goals.
Maffra led by 17 points with one quarter to play, and got through after both sides kicked four goals in the final term.
Morwell had chances to pinch the game, but had to lament scoring 4.7 in the last 20 minutes.
The win gave the Eagles their third for 2022, and keeps them within touching distance of the top five.
Alex Carr kicked three goals in a best on ground performance, as did Daniel Bedggood who was also among the most prominent Maffra players. The experienced duo of Danny Butcher and Kade Renooy played well, while Tom Jolly was serviceable and Hudson Holmes continued his good start to the season.
Brandon McDonald kicked four goals for Morwell to be named best, and received good support from Brandon McAuliffe, Dan Musil and Zac Carlson.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.
Traralgon 9.11.65
Wonthaggi 8.13.61
Traralgon prevailed in a four point thriller, which they were able to do so on their home ground for the first time since last year’s devastating flood. Saturday marked exactly one year since Traralgon had played a match for premiership points at home.
The Maroons led at every change against the Power, eventually holding on to win 9.11 (65) to 8.13 (61).
Traralgon led by 10 points at three- quarter time, and survived a late scare from Wonthaggi after the Power hit the lead late
in the day.
With injured playing coach Jake Best watching on, the Maroons other big names stood up. Ball magnet Mark Collison was best on, along with fellow midfielder Tom Schneider.
Luis D’Angelo kicked two goals, as did Brett Eddy and captain Dylan Loprese. Mitch Membrey played arguably his best senior game for Traralgon, along with Tom McMahon and Hugh Dunbar.
Traralgon youngster Josh Hamilton made his senior debut, in what was a family affair
alongside brother Tom and dad Troy who is serving as an assistant coach.
Best for Wonthaggi was Mitch Hayes, Jordan Staley and Lochlan Scott, while Jarryd Blair returned for the first time in a number of weeks, although younger brother Jack was a late withdrawal.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.
Moe 8.13.61
Sale 10.13.73
Sale was too big, too strong and ultimately too good for Moe.
A tight contest ensued in the first half at Ted Summerton, as the game basically became a battle of defences.
Sale key defender Will Leslie had the job on league leading goal kicker Harry Pepper, while at the other end, Moe playing coach Declan Keilty repelled many a forward entry from the Magpies.
At half-time, the margin was just one point, and given the greasy conditions, the match had the makings of one that was going to go down to the wire.
Come three-quarter time, Sale had taken a five-point lead after kicking three goals to two. Some long range set shots by respective leaders in Sale senior coach Jack Johnstone and Moe captain Jacob Wood provided a lift to their side, while the physicality was also taken up a notch as some big hits were laid and a spot fire erupted in front of the Sale coaches box as players from either side flew the flag for their teammates.
Johnstone appeared animated as he addressed his troops at the last change, urging them for 30 more minutes of effort. A short distance away, Moe took a calmer approach, believing that if they could manage two goals in the conditions and tidy up in defence, it might prove to be enough.
Sale started on top in the final term, kicking the first three goals to stretch its lead. A nice little give by Lions ruckman Ben Morrow to Trent Baldi set up a goal to Matt Barrand at the 23 minute mark which cut the margin back to 19 points and kept things interesting, but it proved to be too little, too late.
Will Leslie was judged best on ground for Sale, along with Mitch Thacker, Jack Leslie, Nathan Whitford, Pat Tainsh and Jayden Allison in his 100th match.
Declan Keilty was a clear best on ground for Moe.  Wood, Barrand, Baldi, James Blaser and Brock Smith were others to put in determined efforts.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.


Foster 10.1.61
Yinnar 7.7.49
On the weekend, it was a confident Tigers at home coming off a win over Newborough confronted by a Magpies side desperate to bounce back into the winners’ circle after a most disappointing loss at the hands of Stony Creek.
The home side, with their radar in place, was almost perfect in front of goals, which proved to be the difference.
Foster coach Sam Davies said: “It was a tough win against good opposition who really challenged us and were on top for half the game, a really important win in such an even competition.”
It’s a win that now puts Yinnar on the back foot and with some work to do before they can gather some momentum moving forward.
Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said it was a tough day.
“To Foster’s credit, they had the game on their terms, we got to work throughout the second and third quarters and felt like we were the better side, but to Foster’s credit we were still unable to play our brand, and one undisciplined act late in the third quarter changed the momentum for the rest of the game.
“We’re just not good enough for long enough at the moment, which is disappointing.”
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
MDU 6.7.43
Hill End 5.12.42
MDU had been keen to return to their home ground and show a healthy home crowd what they were capable of against one of the better sides in the competition.
Just seven days earlier, the Demons had given a start to Mirboo North and fallen just points short after chasing hard for most of the day. This week the plan was to put the pressure on the visitors from the first bounce and try to keep them at arm’s length for the afternoon and that is exactly what happened, with MDU 6-7-43 edging out Hill End 5-12-42, the win by just a point, maybe season defining for the Demons.
MDU coach Peter Harris described it as a cracking contested game of football from both sides.
“Our boys stuck to our game plan and were then able to execute it in the last half,” he said.
“It was nice to finally be on the right side of a close one.”
Pre-season premiership favourites Hill End realise that this season is as tough as it gets, and playing your best football sometimes isn’t enough; somewhere, somehow, clubs are going to have to find more than they currently have.
Hill End coach Mike Santo said: “We played some superb footy early and then believed we were better than we were currently. Credit to Peter and his side, they had a game plan and beat us the next three quarters. They spread well from stoppages and took away our strengths and they deserved the win. Our inaccuracy and lack of discipline is becoming a real issue for us, hopefully it’s a wakeup call.”
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Mirboo North 10.3.63
Fish Creek 9.6.60
After knocking over MDU the previous week by four points, Mirboo North prevailed against Fish Creek by three points at Tigerland on Saturday — in a match containing more twists and turns than a cheap garden hose.
To add to the atmosphere, a bumper crowd came to the game and although there was heavy cloudiness, the wind and rain obligingly stayed away.
As pressure built throughout the contest and the ball went hither and thither within the oval, those who dithered, simply withered on the vine.
It was the mighty Tigers’ fifth victory by four points or less from their past 16 home and away encounters since 2019.
The vagaries of Mid Gippsland’s 13-team competition saw Fish Creek on the road again for a third consecutive week and Mirboo North hosting three clashes in a row.
As with all footy matches, mistakes were due to human error, with a bit of bad luck thrown in for good measure.
Fish Creek started unassuredly after recent travails at Meeniyan and Morwell East — with three of Mirboo North’s four opening quarter goals coming via free kicks, that included two 50-metre penalties.
Although Mirboo North established an early 18-point advantage, Fish Creek readjusted itself and closed the gap to five points by quarter-time.
Talented teenager, Beau Peters — who makes football look so easy to play — was brilliant in defence for Mirboo North with four outstanding overhead marks and several ground ball intercepts during the first term.
Other Tigers helping to keep the Kangaroos at bay were Rhys Kratzat, Joel Lambourn, Joe Brooks, Liam Nash, Harley Foat and Jacob Blair.
Mirboo North’s accuracy in front of the big white sticks was exceptional and by the long break the Tigers had booted seven goals without a miss.
As well, the home side was frequently combining intrinsic transitioning with precision foot passing, directly into teammates’ bread baskets.
Just when Mirboo North seemed to have Fish Creek’s measure, Sam McGannon, booted the Kangaroos’ fourth goal and a narrow miss from Adam Bright reduced the Tigers’ half-time lead to 15 points.
The third term began with Hudson Kerr slamming through Mirboo North’s eighth straight goal, but soon after, disaster struck for the Tigers.
Tempers became frayed near the scoreboard, that resulted in Lambourn being yellow-carded until three-quarter time.
After the Tigers’ on-field stocks were reduced to 17, the Kangaroos, with a spare player on the loose, immediately hopped into action, quickly gaining the momentum and trailed by two points at the last change.
Fish Creek’s accountability in defence, creative innovation through the midfield and fast contested ball breakaways had halted Mirboo North’s forward thrusts.
Two Fish Creek goals quickly came off Darcy Perryman’s boot from a 50-metre penalty, then a free kick — before Bright sensationally snapped the Kangaroos’ seventh major from a near-impossible angle.
With Kairon Dorling, Tom Cameron and Jack Hayes seizing the initiative, Fish Creek’s dominance was increasing and the Kangaroos’ confidence became problematic for Mirboo North.
When Perryman — one of the Kangaroos’ engine room prime movers — brilliantly outmaneuvered two opponents and kicked his third major on the run, Fish Creek hit the front 11 minutes into the final quarter.
Then, in a rearguard foray, Kerr found Ethan Woodall with a precise left-foot pass and the youngster’s gun-barrel-straight 45-metre set shot, restored Mirboo North’s lead.
It was followed by the Tigers’ 10th and last goal from Lambourn — courtesy of a 50-metre penalty and Mirboo North was eight points clear after 15 hectic minutes.
Play was stopped for nearly five minutes when Fish Creek’s Owen Schnoor was crunched in a pack and stretchered from the ground, after injuring his back.
With no one left on its interchange bench, Fish Creek bravely battled on with a closing goal coming from Jack Hayes following another 50-metre penalty, that saw the Kangaroos fall agonizingly short of victory.
Match review appears in multiple publications, written by Rover.
Newborough 9.12.66
Boolarra 7.8.50

This mouth watering clash was not for the faint hearted. Two of the big improvers of the 2022 competition would not, did not and could not take a short step at any stage.

Although both clubs are not yet firing at full power, they each wanted to give their all for the four points and to start to emerge as a genuine contender.

On this occasion, it was the Bulldogs 9.12-66 to the Demons 7.8-50, a result that for a lot of the afternoon appeared to be going the opposite way.

“We saw both sides control the game for long periods of time, with some clean fast flowing contested football making goals hard to come by,” reported Newborough coach Craig Skinner. “Great to see our young group come from behind and bounce back after two tough weeks away.”

Bulldogs’ Patty Charles received the Rod Taylor Medal for best on ground voted on by both coaches.

Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Rob Popplestone.

Stony Creek 4.9.33
Morwell East 5.10.40

The Lions returned to their home ground just seven days after taking the scalp of a finals contender in Yinnar.

Their weekend clash against a bird of another kind in the Hawks was going to be every bit as tough as any they had played this year.

The Hawks 5.10-40 to Stony Creek 4.9-33 was a result that was satisfying but still a way off where they wanted to be.

Morwell East coach Devon Soutar reported a real grind in the first half with an inability to complete the play going forward and turnovers fuelling opposition opportunities.

“We were able to break away in the third and that breathing room allowed us to control the game and speed in the closing stages.” Soutar said.

For Stony Creek, after some very clear improvement this season, the loss put a stop to real momentum.

Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Rob Popplestone.

Tarwin 26.12.168
Thorpdale 6.9.45
Unbeaten, on top of the ladder and at home, the Sharks strolled into the weekend confident another win was on its way.
Tarwin is just one of a handful of clubs slowly making the improvements necessary to have success both on and off the field, and it was also keen on not letting Thorpdale stand in the way of what they want to achieve especially at Shark Park.
The Sharks actually trailed at quarter time before they really turned on the afterburners, kicking 10 goals in the second quarter, eight in the third and finishing the game off with six more goals in the last in a truly dominating performance.
Tarwin coach Troy Hemming said it was a great team effort from the boys, with everyone playing their role and smiles all-round.
The Sharks should be pleased with themselves too, unbeaten in their first four matches of the season and sitting on top of the MGFNL ladder, it’s been a dream start for the new coach and the Tarwin club.
Thorpdale, it seems, still have some work to do. They have been gallant even in defeat and would have gone into this match believing they were a chance.
Thorpdale coach Ray Pickering said it was a solid start to win the first quarter, but Tarwin’s fitness and bigger bodies around the ball took control of the contest for the remainder of the game.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Gormandale 9.9.63
Sale City 9.14.68
The return of their Tiwi Island interlopers and that of Chris Long to the park for his first game since Round 1 was not enough to get a gallant Gormandale over the line in their clash with Sale City. In a pulsating match that saw the lead change three times in last two minutes, the Bulldogs prevailed by five points.
When Dion Munkara put the Tigers ahead with less than 120 seconds on the clock it looked as though the home side was in for win number two for the season. However, despite the best efforts of key defender Kodie Owen who chalked up best on ground number three in a row, Sale City was able to muster one last shot on goal. And when they kicked truly with only 45 seconds left the game was theirs for the keeping. An honourable loss for a club that must surely be sick to the back teeth of them and an important win to Sale City to keep their finals hopes alive. Blake Safstrom and Ben Chivers were best for the victors.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.
Cowwarr 7.5.47
Woodside 22.11.143
The Saints toiled manfully from the first break onwards managing a respectable six goals to 14 across the final three terms. Woodside recruit Lee Stockdale took no time endearing himself to his new club with a best on ground performance. Stockdale was lively all over the ground and rounded out his game with three majors. Dave Waddell and Daniel Missen managed six and four apiece with the silver fox, Woodside coach Michael Duncan, also slotting three. The only downside for Woodside was an early shower for Will Broadbent who must be in doubt for this week’s clash with Churchill. Robbie Ferguson showed his class for the Saints with four majors. Shane Morgan too managed multiples, snagging a pair of goals, but it was an all too familiar scoreline for the ‘Warr who lost 22.11 (143) to 7.5 (47).
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.
Churchill 14.11.95
Yallourn-Yallourn North 11.16.82
Rebounding off their worst performance of the 2022 season, Churchill put an end to Yallourn Yallourn North’s streak in Round 6 of the North Gippsland Football-Netball League with a stirring 13-point victory at Gaskin Park.
A six goal to two opening salvo saw the home side take an even four goal lead into the first break. It was all Churchill early with goals to Ben Kearns and Ben Skinner setting the tone before the Jets finally hit the scoreboard at the 22 minute mark through Josh Keyhoe. A follow up major to Keenan Hughes saw the Cougars lead reduced to three goals after 26 minutes of play. Seemingly content to take that margin into the break, Jets coach Barrie Burnett released key forwards Hughes and Mitch Luck to play behind the ball for the remainder of the term. A piercing pass from best on ground Chris Williams however dissected the eight man Jet defence and found makeshift forward Chris Wangman 30 metres out directly in front. Wangman kicked truly and registered the first of his four for the day to end the opening quarter.
Churchill looked to have their match-ups on the money with co-coach Jordan Fenech tasked with stopping YYN goal kicking machine Dean MacDonald, Kurt Holt going with Hughes and Bailey Flanigan on Luck. When Holt went down however with what looked to be a quad injury a shuffle up was required. Flanigan switched from Luck to Hughes with Churchill co-captain Angus Mitchell now having the job with keeping up with Luck as the second quarter got underway. This opened things up for the visitors, however if bad kicking for goal is bad footy the Jets were guilty as charged in a second term littered with wasted chances. Tindarra Hood and MacDonald both missed gettable chances early before James De Virgilio finally found the big sticks for the Jets 10 minutes in. This goal was quickly countered by one to Churchill through Brendan Holt who had been well held by Darcy Shelcott to this point in time. It was a much needed settler for the Cougars as the Jets were far from finished with their frustrating forward forays.
A miss to Bath on the run was followed by one from Burnett with a set shot., then it was Hughes’ turn as he missed a pair of chances. Nothing was going the way of the Jets. And then, as if to rub their noses in it, Jake Roe-Duggan – who was a close second in the best on ground stakes – kicked an absolute ripper from the boundary for Churchill. After having been called to play on from a set shot hard up on the boundary, Roe-Duggan got around the man on the mark, then, with pressure coming from inside he had to reel back to the boundary. With a tackler imminent Roe-Duggan threw the ball on to his foot and watched the ball work from right to left like a Mitchell Johnson in-swinger and from the tightest of angels he sent the boys in the bar into raptures. As the half-time siren sounded to end a quarter in which the visiting side had dominated play their efforts amounted to a single goal, eight behinds with two further shots ending up out on the full. For all their opportunity they had reduced their quarter time margin by only a solitary behind to 23 points.
The third term started with each side trading goals before Hughes went back-to-back at the 11 and 12 minute mark to get the Jets within two goals. Hughes’ second goal was utterly remarkable. He contested the nick stoppage 20 metres out from goal. The non-controlling umpire blew a free kick so Hughes threw his left slipper at the ball mid-air, striking it perfectly and sending the ball directly through the middle of the big sticks. Advantage was called, the goal registered and the away side, players and fans, were up and about. Not to be outdone, Cain Iorangi kicked a classic at the other end and as the three quarter time siren sounded the Jets were within 16 points and all present were in agreement – it was absolutely game on. As if spurred by the challenge it was all Churchill to start the last. While Roe-Duggan’s opening goal was countered by Hood’s second for the day, when Wangman kicked his fourth for the game the home side’s spectators could surely breathe a little easier.
And when Brendan Holt had the chance to extend the lead beyond four goals at the seven minute mark it was surely time to break out the winner’s beers. Alas his shot sailed wide and there was still the faintest of hopes for the travelling ladder leaders. And when Todd Rowe, he of the long sleeves and sizzling left foot, went back-to-back for the Jets at the 24 minute mark the hope was no longer faint, it was real. The margin was under two goals and what had looked to be a game won two or three times was now again anyone’s. The final act of an outstanding game typified the previous 120 or so minutes. New Cougar Nick Twomey took a pass around 60 metres from Churchill’s goal. He ran and carried the ball inside 50 and as his shot sailed through from 40 he was swamped by teammates and this time the game was won. Finally.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.
Glengarry 6.10.46
Heyfield 7.11.53
Having broken their maiden last week hopes were high for Glengarry to repeat when they welcomed a winless Heyfield to town. And when the home side led by 14 points at the last break in a low scoring contest it seemed almost a given the Magpies would be celebrating two on the trot. A last quarter surge from the Kangaroos however saw them kick 3.4 (22) to a solitary point and the monkey was off their back, as they claimed a 7.11 (53) to 6.10 (46) victory. Jesse Bedggood and Xavier Woodland managed two apiece for the winners while young gun Tyson Birss and the ever reliable Adam Wallace were the best performers. Spencer Poulton and Jackson Hall were best for Glengarry.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.
Yarram 13.14.92
Rosedale 7.8.50
Yarram easily accounted for Rosedale in their clash, winning 13.14 (92) to 7.8 (80). Corbin Sutherland was again among the goals for the Demons, kicking five for the home side. Yarram is starting to build a side that looks more and more capable of competing at the pointy end of the season as each week passes. Inaccuracy in front of goal prevented the Demons from a larger winning margin than the even seven goals they saluted by. Riley Atlee and Frazar Brouns put in honest efforts for Rosedale.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.


Lucknow 14.5.89
Lindenow 12.7.79
Lucknow continued its outstanding form, defeating Lindenow by 10 points in front of a healthy crowd which included the players from its 2012 senior premiership. Only a couple of points separated the sides at each change, before the Magpies finished best adding four goals to three in high quality last quarter. Dallas Smith and Ash Smith kicked three goals each for the winners. Luke Dyer and Kane Ashwood contributed three goals each for the Cats. Best players for Lucknow were ruck man Dion Grace, Ash Smith, Damian Hodder and Darren Allen who was vital in the last quarter when moved into the middle. Tom Van Den Einden, Tray Lawson and Jordie Cameron all had good games for Lindenow.
Match review via the Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Orbost-Snowy Rovers 9.5.59
Stratford 22.18.150
The signs were good early on for the Blues, leading 4.2 to 3.3 at quarter time, their ability to maintain possession and work the ball forward giving every indication that they had gained plenty of confidence from an outstanding quarter last week which netted a victory against Boisdale Briagolong.
But it wasn’t to be, the Swans adding 7.4 to 0.1 in the second term to blow the game apart. Then adding 12 goals to five in the second half to score by 91 points in an impressive victory, their season now evenly poised at three wins and losses.
The Blues backline certainly had plenty of work to do trying to contain O’Keefe and his rampant team mates.
Best afield was Chris Downward, who was outstanding all day and skipper Hamish Nettleton continued his good form, kicking five goals. Other serviceable players on the day were Todd Griebenow, Lachlan Fenner, Max Herbert and Gus Rogers.
Match review via Snowy River Mail.
Paynesville 7.10.52
Boisdale-Briagolong 7.12.54
Boisdale-Briagolong broke through for its first win of the East Gippsland season at the weekend. The Bombers finally got on the board after six weeks – but only just, getting up by two points against Paynesville. Making the journey east, Boisdale-Briagolong was able to momentarily put a difficult start to the season behind them, holding on for dear life to win 7.12 (54) to 7.10 (52).
The Bombers kicked four goals in the opening quarter to take a 12-point lead at the first change. From there, the side was able to stay ahead for the rest of the match, shaking off a determined Paynesville looking to consolidate its spot inside the top four. Although Boisdale-Briagolong only kicked three goals after quarter time, it proved to be enough. The third term saw a genuine stalemate ensue, as .just one goal was kicked in the entire duration. Clinging onto a 12-point lead at three-quarter time, the Bombers sent heart rates pumping as the Gulls came home with a wet sail, but the sound of the final siren netted sweet joy for all wearing the red and black. Matt Wilkinson kicked three goals for the winners, and was ably supported by Billy Marshall, Brendon Rathnow, Paddy Mack, Cal Egan and Declan Scriven.
Match review via the Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Wy Yung 6.13.49
Lakes Entrance 4.9.33
A much improved performance from the Seagulls on Saturday saw them competitive most of the day against the unbeaten Wy Yung in round six of East Gippsland football. The Tigers asserted their authority late in the game to win by 16 points, but the Seagulls held their heads high and hope to build off the performance in the coming weeks.
The Lakes and Wy Yung match was played in slippery conditions with the Tigers kicking the only first half goal to lead by eight points at half time. There were plenty of stoppages and the Seagulls used numbers behind the ball to great effect especially late in the quarters. The backline of Lakes Entrance worked hard all day led by Drew Marsden, Harvey Geier and Ryan Hooper. Marsden and Hooper kept Wy Yung spearhead Brad Daniel goalless.
With other consistent Tiger goalkickers Brodie Anderson (ankle) and Aaron Hanuera unavailable, the Tigers struggled to find alternative avenues to goal. The third quarter saw the Seagulls add three goals to close within seven points and give themselves a chance to cause the upset of the season. It was not to be the with the Seagulls restricted to one final term goal as the Tigers upped the tempo with 3.4 to score a gritty win in a day when they showed that are beatable. Jarred McDonnell was best afield for the Seagulls, ably assisted by Jake Fisher, Tom Smith, Liam Carroll, Marsden and Geier.
Match review via The Lakes Post.


Omeo Benambra 38.23.251
Bruthen 2.4.16
Omeo Benambra smashed Bruthen by 235 points. The Bulldogs made the trip to the High Country low on numbers and morale. The Alpie Ranges kicked 16 goals in third quarter, and a mammoth 38 for the match with Aaron Cameron (12), Brandon Betts (9), Jai Hayward (5) and Tom Cook (4) the main beneficiaries up forward in a dominant team performance. Betts and Cameron joined in the best by Riley Steenholdt who ensured plentiful supply all day. Bruthen coach Harley Kenner tried hard all day with limited support.
Buchan 9.9.63
Swifts Creek 10.9.69
Swifts Creek led all day against a deter-mined Buchan who just wouldn’t go away, the Demons hanging on to win by six points at Buchan. The Cavemen managed to quell the goal scoring power of Swifts Creek, with only small forward Jack Westland a multiple goalkicker. Jack Brick (three) and the consistent Tyson Siddle (two) were prominent up forward for the home side. Rover Arthur Wright was best on ground for the Demons, getting great support from Cam-eron Johnson, Beau Hack and Mark Cooper. Brick was a standout for Buchan, with Pat Whelan, Kane Sparkes and journeyman Dean Combridge good contributors.
Lindenow South 14.3.87
Swan Reach 10.11.71
For the the second time this season Swan Reach was competitive with the unbeaten Lindenow South. The Swampies ran out 16-point winners in a tough and willing encounter played at South. The Swampies had plenty of avenues to goal with Seth Smith (four), Neil Rawlings, Janie Donnelly and Sam Howden (two goals) instrumental this week. For the Swans Brandon Scott kicked five to take his season total to 34. Swampies captain, Howden, was back in the team this week and was judged best afield, getting great support from Smith, Jake St John and Aaron Edwards. Swan Reach coach Joel Waters led from the front, never shirking an issue, with Keith Ritchie and Brendan Bassett exceptional.
All match reviews via Bairnsdale Advertiser.



Warragul Industrials 3.0.18
Bass Coast Breakers 2.5.17

Playing their second game under lights for the season, the Bass Coast Breakers were keen
to get off to a good start.
However, despite having a lot of the play, they couldn’t get on the scoreboard – registering a single behind for the quarter.
The second quarter was much the same with effort in the back end and strong defence from Stacey Poke and Courtney Fletcher at half back not being rewarded with the ball being bombed into the forward line and subsequently turned over.
A bit of magic from Jenna Russo was the highlight of the quarter and gave the Breakers the narrowest of margins going into half time. The opportunity for the snap goal started with Lisa Scharnberg whose pressure and attack on the ball was outstanding all game. Half time: Breakers 1.1-7 led Warragul 1.0-6.
Third quarter was another tight tussle with Kelly O’Neill continuing her dominance around the ground – providing a great target. A sweet snap from Immy Bradford got the visitors up and about. The Breakers took that momentum into the last quarter and created plenty of opportunities but Warragul managed to hold them off.
While they couldn’t get the four points, the Breakers will take a lot from the match with the younger Breakers including Sunday Brisbane, Tess Wingfield, Immy Bradford leading the way in the midfield and Kate Caughey stepping up to
first ruck duties.
Tayla Tatterson also slipped into full back nicely when injury reduced the team to 17 players.

Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Lang Lang 3.19.37
Red Hill 2.2.14

BEST: Ashlee Whitehouse, Stefanie Harper, Jessica Fowler, Kelly Cerra, Emily Lesjak, Bree van Dord

GOALS: Kelly Cerra 2, Ashlee Whitehouse 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team 10.7.67

BEST: Hayley De Graaf, Jess Evans, Rachelle O’Connor, Tayla Lochki, Sophie Johnston, Bianca Loveland

GOALS: Miriam Beeby 3, Tayla Lochki Sophie Johnston 2, Bianca Loveland Rachelle O’Connor Victoria Smart 1.


Lindenow South 2.0.12

Lindenow South: Teleigha Saunders, Jasmaie Saunders-Baxter, Jackie Elliott, Teagan Longhurst, Brodi Harris, Jamieson Elliott
Moe-Newborough: Unavailable

Lindenow South: Teleigha Saunders, Jasmaie Saunders-Baxter 1.
Moe-Newborough: Unavailable

BYE: Foster

Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: