Bunyip 5.5.35
Warragul Industrials 7.4.46
The Warragul Industrials have brought Bunyip’s three game win streak to an end as they defeated the Bulldogs by 11 points.
Playing away from home and against a side whose confidence has been quite high in recent weeks, the Dusties adjusted to the conditions better to win 7.4 (46) to 5.5 (35).
As promised by coach Harmit Singh during the week, the Dusties played harder for longer than their opponents, who were held to just one goal in the second half.
It wasn’t all going Warragul’s way, however, as Bunyip had the better of the first half to lead 4.4 to 2.1 in some wet and wild conditions going into the main break.
They call the third quarter the premiership quarter, and it was the Dusties that used it to perfection. They came out swinging, kicking four goals to one to take a five-point lead into the final quarter.
The last quarter proved to be a tense affair, with neither side willing to give an inch defensively. With the wet conditions making it impossible for highly skilled play, it was a war of attrition.
Ultimately the Dusties would come out on top, managing to kick the only goal of the quarter to claim their third win.
Mason McGarrity was the only multiple goalkicker for the Dusties with two, while Jason Williams kicked two for Bunyip.
The Bulldogs will be left to lick their wounds, having let a real opportunity slip with a difficult away trip to Inverloch-Kongwak looming next week.
Best for Warragul Industrials were Michael Ablett, Will Gibson, Mark Bradley, Nic Visser, Kyle Staples and Mason McGarrity.
Bunyip’s best were William Papley, Aaron Paxton, Jeb McLeod, Ryan Quirk, Daniel Helmore and Jye Keath.
Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette.
Kilcunda-Bass 4.4.28
Koo Wee Rup 3.16.34
Kilcunda Bass led for most of the day against an inaccurate Koo Wee Rup, but the Demons took charge in the last term to win by a goal.
With rain falling on and off throughout the day and a howling wind blowing across the ground, conditions were challenging for both sides, with the match be-coming a low-scoring slog.
The Panthers defence held up well throughout the day with Darcy Clay and Daniel Mock prominent in the backline. Ruckman Dale Gawley did superb work across halfback repelling many Koo Wee Rup attacks.
For all its defensive efforts, Kilcunda Bass couldn’t manufacture enough goals, managing only four majors and scoring just eight times compared to Koo Wee Rup’s 19 scores.Despite the extra scoring opportunities the Demons generated, they managed just three goals for the day. All of those came in the second half, with two in the final stanza.
The Panthers couldn’t manage to impact the scoreboard in the last quarter, while the Demons powered home with 2.6(18) in that period.
Kilcunda Bass was well served by Ben Eddy with the onballer strong around the packs on what was a torrid day for footy. Fellow onballer Nathan Foote also stood out as a major contributor for the beaten Panthers, being named their best player. Jimmy Phillips and Cam McKenzie each booted a goal for Kilcunda Bass in a promising first term in which the Panthers held their opponent scoreless. However, Taylor Gibson’s two goals were the only other majors for Kilcunda Bass.
Mitchell Cammarano and Ethan McDonald were the stand-outs for a triumphant Koo Wee Rup.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Korumburra Bena 4.9.33
Garfield 4.5.29
The seven-time West Gippsland premiers, Garfield, started best in the match, kicking with the aid of a strong wind to the town end of the ground. It was all that the likes of Nick Besley,  Alex Walker and their teammates in defence could do to pressure, tackle, frustrate and intercept the constant attacks that came their way and hold the Stars to just two goals, three points when the match might have been lost there and then.
The Giants nonetheless moved the ball well around the wings and flanks, through the likes of Jay Walker, who was burning on his wing, and Joel Cuman and Kodie Walker, with Josh Westerman and Darcy Hargrave holding their own on the ball, supported by Dan Brown and Tyler Newton sharing the ruck.
The second quarter, with the wind and a relatively dry ball, was always going to be the most important one for the Giants and Matt Lello provided the target they need-ed up forward, kicking two of the three goals himself to give the home team the impetus going into half time.
Byron Walker was the other goal scorer in the second term, on a day when the back-men and those prepared to tackle and pressure the opposition were well on top. As coach Leigh Cole stressed at half time, it would be those pressure acts, especially during the third quarter, that would put the locals in a position to bring off an historic win, with the Giants already feeling like they had the higher-rated Stars’ measure.
Again Garfield added two goals with the wind to reclaim the lead but only seven points separated the sides at the last change, and Korumburra-Bena were coming home with a wet sail. The only downside for the home team was the injury to one of their winners on the day, Jay Walker, who coped a broken collarbone late in the third quarter.
The Giants peppered the scoring zone, with the bulk of the possession early in the last quarter, but they were still one point down when Matt Kennewell was tackled without the ball, 20 metres out, earning a crucial free kick. He went back and slotted it through to put the Giants in front but still with heaps of time left on the clock. It was to everyone’s credit that Garfield were unable to score in the last quarter, in fact no one had scored a goal to the scoreboard-end of the ground, and the club had claimed a history-making win.
It was the first time they had beaten Garfield, club that was part of the Gippsland League between 2002-2009, and a powerhouse of the West Gippsland competition.
Review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Nar Nar Goon 11.10.76
Cora Lynn 1.6.12
Nar Nar Goon maintained their perfect streak this week as they downed Cora Lynn by 64 points.
The Goon were ferocious at the contest, outmuscling their opponents for most of the day to win 11.10 (72) to 1.6 (12).
It wasn’t a terrible start for the visitors, as an early goal to Cory Machaya and some good intent with the ball saw the Cobras kick 1.4 to the Goon’s 2.4 in the first term.
Cora Lynn would manage just two more behinds for the match, however, as Nar Nar Goon’s power around the ball began to take over.
The Cobras also couldn’t contain the prowess of Nar Nar Goon’s forward line, as Troy McDermott kicked three goals while Matthew Homfray, Mitchell Homfray, Kyle O’Sullivan and Dermott Yawney all kicked two each.
The Goon will next meet Dalyston and will be very confident they can go 6-0 to start the season, while Cora Lynn plays Korumburra-Bena in what might be their best chance so far to win their first match.
Nar Nar Goon’s best were Trent Armour, Matthew Homfray, James Cairns, Mitchell Homfray, Brendan Hermann and Aidan Pipicelli.
Cora Lynn’s best were Heath Briggs, Dillan Bass, Chris Johnson, Luke Ryan, Tristan Warkuss and Brady White.
Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette.
Phillip Island 14.18.102
Inverloch-Kongwak 14.7.91
Match review of this game can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Tooradin Dalmore 19.22.136
Dalyston 2.4.16

Tooradin-Dalmore kicked the sweep on Saturday – winning 19.22.136 to 2.4.16 over Dalyston.

A seven-goal second quarter was the highlight for the Gulls, who kicked a wasteful 5.13 in the final term!

Brad Butler booted five, and Stewie Scanlon four, while Liam Adams, Piva Wright and Steve Robb were influential figures around the ground.

The Gulls play Garfield this week, before a tougher run of matches will see them hog the headlines against Inverloch-Kongwak, Bunyip, Phillip Island and Nar Nar Goon.

They look a genuine contender do the Seagulls, but by the conclusion of round 10 we will have a much clearer picture of their prospects.

Jack Paravicini held his head high for the Magpies, while midfielders Mick Marotta and Curtis Murfett – and the left foot of Mason Storr – also saw plenty of action.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.


Trafalgar 2.2.14
Buln Buln 4.7.31
Cameron McPhan proved a match winner for Buln Buln as the Lyrebirds produced an upset of sorts to defeat Trafalgar.

With the contest hampered by wintry conditions and a strong cross-breeze, McPhan’s sensational final term burst proved catalyst for a come from behind victory.

The Bloods had held the edge in a dour affair that had only realised three goals to the final change.

Enter McPhan, who was able to add consecutive goals to put the Lyrebirds in front to ultimately hold on and win 4-7 (31) to 2-2 (14).

The Lyrebirds hadn’t been without their chances, with a Bob McCallum miss from centre half forward to begin the third term taking their return to 1-6.

McPhan then began his burst, converting to put the Lyrebirds four points to the good.

Buln Buln went forward again and McPhan caught his opponents napping. Baker’s kick towards the square rolled out of bounds and McPhan burst through the stoppage, his left foot snap sailing through to open a 10-point buffer.

Desperation lifted for Trafalgar with the points on the line, but in a blow for the Bloods their best player to that point in Hayden Farrell headed to the bench to ice his hamstring.

The Lyrebirds would again score next. Jake Herbel, who had been providing good drive for the visitor, found James Fowler but his snap faded late to miss.

Trafalgar began to take risks to generate score to get themselves back into the contest, and it would bring about their undoing.

Herbel was able to cut off an ambitious kick into the corridor from Dylan Farrell. He found Adam Rakip, who had stepped up in the absence of injured Sam Langford and kicked the sealer.

Both teams entered the contest with personnel changes. Bryce Monahan came in for Langford and got his hands to the ball in contest, while Flynn Hammond came in for his debut for the Lyrebirds.

Trafalgar also had changes with players in isolation or away at national polocrosse championships, coach Tom Hallinan admitting pregame that it would be hard to be critical of either side until later in the season.

The Bloods began the match kicking with a breeze that may have been worth two or three goals in normal autumn conditions.

Instead the ball spent a lot of time over the boundary scoreboard side of the ground, some delays ensuing as patrons found it difficult to leave the comfort of their cars to assist returning the ball.

Relishing his role in the forward half, Hayden Baker roved a Rakip contest for an opportunistic goal over the back for an important goal into the wind.

Matthew Swenson converted from long range for the immediate response.

The Bloods went searching for Mitchell Smart in space, but he couldn’t collect, while a Mann soccer toward goal was intercepted.

It was Buln Buln who had the most opportunities in the second term, but only had four behinds to show for it.

Samuel Batson, Jack Symes, Sean Symes, Matthew Gray, Thomas Axford and Jake Pierrehumbert were prominent as the Lyrebirds held a slight edge, while keeping Trafalgar in the contest were Jace Butler, Dylan Farrell, David Van Schajik, Mitch Virtue, Blake Slater and Tyson Leys.

A late goal from Klay Butler put the Bloods in front heading into the final change, and next goal would prove telling in the outcome.

McPhan began his final quarter heroics before Rakip delivered the sealer from an opportunistic turnover.

Fittingly the ball finished with man of the moment McPhan as the Lyrebirds secured the points to displace Trafalgar in second on the ladder.

Review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid

Poowong 5.12.42
Yarragon 0.3.3
Poowong welcomed Yarragon on Saturday on a cold, wet day with a fresh breeze blowing down the ground. The ground was soft from overnight rain and to the credit of our recreation committee, the ground was OK after three games.
Poowong kicked against the strong breeze but they adapted to conditions quicker. With their defence working hard, they kicked the only two goals of the quarter both by former half back Jayden Sullivan to lead by 11 at the first break. Poowong was determined to use the breeze but Yarragon was working as hard but only managed a poster. Poowong’s first of two goals came from Tom Robertson’s kick off the ground while the second from Alex Henshall to go into the main break with a 25-point lead.
Poowong and Yarragon came out determined. With the weather deteriorating from the drizzle, it became harder to control kicks and set up forward thrusts. Poowong opened with three points, the only goal coming from Paddy Harmes with the help of a 50-metre penalty after an opposition player ran over the mark. Tom Robertson’s from a good mark received a 50-metre penalty but his kick fell short and was cleared. Yarragon’s only contribution was a point, going into the final term with a 33-point lead.
The last quarter was played between the backlines with Poowong managing six points and Yarragon failing to add to their score with Poowong taking the win by 39 points.
Review written via South Gippsland Sentinel Times, written by Geoff Wyatt.
Nyora 7.17.59
Nilma-Darnum 5.7.37
Nyora recorded its second win for the season at the weekend. The Nyora Saints, playing at home, were raring to make their mark on the back of last week’s loss to Yarragon.
While Nilma Darnum got the upper hand in the first term, booting two majors to Nyora’s one, the Saints secured the lead by the main break by firing off three majors off a few opportunities at goal in tough conditions. They extended their lead, putting another two on the board in the third term, while holding Nilma Darnum goal-less, finishing off their efforts with one major off a few more shots at goal.
Although it was a scrappy game all-day, the Saints still played good-structured footy.
“A quarter of footy for the seniors was the difference in the end,” playing coach Dylan Heylen said.
“Our boys didn’t play the best but scrapped hard all day and got the win.”
Review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Lang Lang 5.8.38
Neerim South 8.11.59
Neerim-Neerim South have moved clear in top spot on the Ellinbank District football ladder, overcoming a determined Lang Lang to keep its undefeated record intact.

The Tigers took a narrow lead into half time and at stages looked the better side for the conditions, only for the Cats to show their class and kick away with a six goal second half to win 8-11 (59) to 5-8 (38).

The Cats were made to work had early as Chris Urie pushed as high as the wing to get his hands on the ball. He soon had an opportunity closer to goal, but his shot missed.

Lang Lang went straight through the middle on the kick in and gained territory. The Tigers set up well behind the ball to allow for repeat entries, but the Cats were able to hold up strong in defence.

A pinpoint pass to Daniel Nicholls came off despite a diving attempt to spoil from Kody Wilson. He and Dean Stringer showed good desperation and drive around the ground.

The Cats again went forward but wind was playing havoc with accuracy as kick missed Luke Kinder on the lead.

Urie made a snap on goal with Lang Lang players appealing the ball had been already out of bounds, the decision going in their favour.

The Cats broke through for the first goal late in the term as Kinder made a good run from the wing and finished off his work.

The Tigers hit back early in the second term, Jesse Hand stealing it from a short throw in to find Sean Dwyer for a goal.

The Cats sent the ball deep and converted from the pack as the lead changed again.

The goal for goal nature of the contest continued, the Cats appealing touched for a snapped shot on goal to no avail as the Tigers went into half time with a six-point lead.

The home side scored a long goal as conditions cleared to open the second half in ominous signs for the Cats.

However it stirred a response, as the visitors would put through six of the final seven goals for a comfortable victory.

It turned at the mid-point of the third term as a snap from Tom Gill went high in the air. The Tigers defence attempted to clear, brushing off a tackle only to be caught by Declan Bagot.

Some good follow up work from Gill saw the Cats snap truly from the advantage for a much-needed goal.

Urie found Bambridge on the lead to put the Cats back in front, the Cats then taking it the length of the field from a set shot miss at the other end to find Bambridge on the end of another one.

The Cats had begun to find their range, opening the final term with a long goal and soon added another.

A long shot from Ben Barwick evaded the chasing Cats defence to bring some life back into the contest, only to see an immediate response to see the visitor seal the result.

Wilson led the response for the Cats, with other contributors being Tyssen Morrow, Alexander Johnston, Nathan Bayne, Cooper Clancy and Christopher Charles.

Fighting hard to keep the Tigers in the contest were Bradley Ventura, Joshua Brown, Brad Harding, Barwick, Joseph Dalgleish and Brett Coghill.
Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Ellinbank 12.14.86
Catani 2.2.14

Ellinbank will hope its result on Saturday is catalyst for a return to some of the devastating form displayed in previous seasons.

In a round that saw an early wintry blast with low scores the order of the day, Ellinbank produced the biggest score of the round, managing 12 goals.

It simply did what it needed to do in taking a strong win over Catani to get its season back on track, winning 12-14 (86) to 2-2 (14).

The Bankers scored the important first goal in a tight opening quarter, taking an eight-point lead into the first change.

The home side made the most of kicking to the scoring end, booting six goals to one in the second term to create a handy 43-point buffer at the long break.

The Blues would kick the only goal of the third term as the contest again turned dour, before the Bankers capitalised again to finish strongly.

Five goals to no score in the final term saw the margin out to 72-points, a fine effort given the conditions. Adam Cook was the standout, finishing with five goals.

Other better players in a strong team performance for Ellinbank were coach Ben Wragg, Bryce Joyce, Liam Carolan, Daniel Pratt and Zachery Holton.

Showing glimpses of form for the Blues were James Williams, Dylan Williams, Brett Williams, Michael Ralph, Thomas Keily and Brayden Hall.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.



Bairnsdale 4.4.28
Moe 8.20.68
Moe impressed with an industrious 40-point away win against Bairnsdale. The Lions produced a blistering opening term to lead by 28 points at the first change and collected the four points without any major worries. Matt Barrand booted a game-high three goals in the 8.20 (68) to 4.4 (28) success. The 28 scoring shots to eight highlighted Moe’s dominance with Jess McGrath and James Blaser leading a long list of solid contributors. In difficult conditions, Barrand’s three-QOal was worth its weight in gold, while Ham Sim bobbed up with two majors. Bairnsdale battled hard and enjoyed its best period of the match in the final term, booting three goals to one. Coach Logan Austin made a welcome return and worked hard in defence, although Randall Stewart was named best for the Redlegs ahead of the former Port Adelaide and St Kilda tall.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Gregor McTaggart.
Morwell 2.9.21
Leongatha 8.13.61
Howling wind played havoc with both sides’ goal kicking throughout the contest and rain fell for much of the day, at times blowing sideways.
“Even the goal posts were swinging in the wind,” Leongatha coach Trent McMicking said, describing it as “a nasty day”.
However, he paid credit to the excellent playing surface at Morwell.
Covid-enforced changes tested the depth of the premiership-fancy Parrots who selected debutants Kyle Brown, Ned Hanily and Tallin Brill, while the Tigers went in unchanged after their big round-4 win over Warragul.
Matt Willcocks, Steve Forrester, Josh Hopkins and Jackson Harry were the outs for Leongatha, with Will Littlejohn returning to the side after recovering from injury.
By game’s end, experienced Leongatha midfielder Luke Bowman had earned player of the day status with the TRFM radio team.
“It was a tough day and it was bloody cold and windy,” Bowman said, reflecting on the challenging playing conditions. He paid credit to Morwell for its endeavour.
“It was a close battle and the scoreboard didn’t reflect how the game was played,” Bowman said.
Rather, it reflected the superior execution of the Parrots whose edge in class was particularly apparent in terms of delivery to the forwards, something Morwell struggled with throughout the contest.
Late inclusion and senior debutant Kyle Brown also performed strongly for the winning side.
“He played a key defensive role for us and did really well and had to pinch hit in the ruck when Ben Willis was sent off (for 15 minutes),” McMick-ing said. The coach is delighted to see the young brigade delivering for the club. However, ultimately it was the experience of those around the engine room who set up the Parrots win, with Bowman teaming well with Tom Marri-ott and Aaron Heppell, helping Leongatha get on top of the Morwell onballers. Cameron Stone was also prolific for the winning team, providing lots of drive for the Parrots from the wing and helping out in defence when required.
Dan Musil led the way for the beaten Tigers with a stoic effort in the ruck against Pa-rots Justin Pellicano and Ben Willis, with Musil also earning plenty of the footy. Musil’s tireless effort impressed opposition coach McMicking, as did that of another Tiger Boyd Bailey.
“He was their link through the middle and gave them a bit of drive,” McMicking said of Bailey.
Pellicano was again dangerous for the Parrots up forward, slotting a couple of goals including an improbable shot from the boundary line that somehow navigated its way through a pack of players without being touched.
That second-term effort probably snatched goal of the day status from teammate Jack Ginnane whose snap moments earlier appeared a good chance to claim the honour.
Apart from Pellicano, Leongatha’s Jack Hume was the game’s only other multiple goalscorer, also with a couple of majors.
Tyler Brown impressed across halfback for the beaten Morwell, with his 30 possessions helping repel many Parrots’ attacks to keep the Tigers in the hunt for longer than would otherwise have been the case.
A pair of Brandons shared the Tigers’ two majors, with Mcauliffe and McDonald making their mark on the scoreboard.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Sale 7.11.53
Drouin 4.8.32

Drouin have lost their fourth game of the season, albeit not without a fight, against Sale over the weekend by 20 points.

The Hawks were certainly up for the fight in the challenging conditions, but couldn’t keep up with their more experienced opponents as they lost 7.8 (50) to 9.16 (70).

Kye Quirk was the standout up forward with three goals, while Timothy Hancock controlled the backline for Drouin, repelling multiple attacks.

Sale were well represented by Will and Jack Leslie, whose marking prowess stood out at opposite ends of the field even with the ball being as slippery as it was.

The game was not a great display of high skills, as a combination of the wet weather and a swirling breeze meant that both teams turned the ball over on a regular occasion.

Drouin, as they have done regularly over the last few weeks, started in positive fashion, kicking two early goals to show they were up for the fight.

Sale nailed their own two goals in the early goings of the match to make it a very even contest going into quarter time.

The second quarter saw both sides fall prey to some inaccurate goalkicking, Sale kicking 2.4 to Drouin’s 1.4.

The improvement of the younger Hawks players since the early rounds of the season was clear to see. Despite the conditions, the side managed to put together multiple transition plays from defensive 50 to forward 50 in the blink of an eye.

Facing a seven-point deficit going into the second half, the third quarter saw Drouin begin to tire as the transition they had found in the first half began to fall away and Sale began to dominate the territory battle.

Drouin still managed a goal against the grain of play, but as the Magpies put on 3.4, the three quarter time margin ballooned to 21. It could have been worse if not for some simple goalkicking mistakes by the home side.

Sale would nail the first couple of goals in the final term to push the margin beyond 30 points and seemingly beyond reach of the Hawks, who were still fighting valiantly at the contest.

Once again though, Sale’s inaccuracy prevented them from fully shutting the door on Drouin as they kicked 2.5 for the quarter, and three late goals to Drouin left the final margin at a more respectable 20 points.

Despite not winning the match, Drouin would not have lost many admirers for the effort they put in against a team that is expected to play finals.

Having won their first game of the season two rounds ago, it is clear that this year’s version of the Hawks, as young as they are, are beginning to play more cohesively together and appear a far cry from the side that was utterly demolished in their first two games of the year.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Warragul 8.8.56
Traralgon 7.7.49
A match review of this game can be viewed online via Warragul Drouin Gazette here.
Wonthaggi 9.10.64
Maffra 4.13.37
Wet and windy conditions ensured it wasn’t going to be an easy affair for either side, with Wonthaggi and visitors Maffra having to work hard for their goals in a low-scoring competitive battle in which Power eventually prevailed by 27 points.
It wasn’t until the final term the fancied home side was able to shake off the determined Eagles who were just nine points adrift at the last change.
Troy Harley took charge in the early minutes of the final stanza, nailing a goal on the run and following up with an accurate set shot on a day when accuracy was difficult to deliver.
Maffra got the ball forward a couple of times in between those Harley goals, but couldn’t bring the footy into its attacking arc with any precision. Wonthaggi’s defence held firm and repelled the Eagles’ advances before Harley got on the end of an accurate pass, enabling him to push the lead beyond 20 points.
That was a big difference on such a tough day for scoring. While the home side slotted a couple more majors for the term, Maffra managed just a solitary goal in the final stanza. Harley finished as one of the Powers’ best with a valuable haul of four majors for the match, accounting for almost half of Wonthaggi’s goals.
The first half of the clash was such a slog that just 33 points were scored between the sides. Both teams had opportunities to goal early in the match but solid defensive pressure at both ends and the difficult conditions kept scoring to just a few behinds in the first 15 minutes of the contest.
Maffra was first to produce a major and, in fact, the only side to do so in the first quarter, but the Eagles couldn’t capitalise on having the breeze at their backs, leading by just 8 points at the first break.
While Wonthaggi worked its way to an 11-point lead at the halfway stage, Maffra narrowly won the third term to set up the prospect of a tense finish. Harley’s early final-term majors put that prospect out of reach for the Eagles.
His teammate Aiden Lindsay was the Power’s top-performer on the day. He was lively around the stop-pages, helping drive Wonthaggi into attack. Lindsay’s stella start to the season has seen him feature prominently in the Power’s best in four of the opening five rounds. Apart from Harley, Power’s Noah Anderson was the game’s other multiple goal scorer finishing with a couple of majors.
Dylan Alexander, Mitch Bennett, Alex Carr and Ryan Auld accounted for Maffra’s hard-earned four goals for the day. Carr was the beaten side’s best, with Hudson Holmes another impressive Eagle.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Foster 10.4.64
Newborough 4.9.33
Preseason predictions had Foster and Newborough playing a major role at season’s end, Foster because of a long history of success and Newborough on the back of some impressive recruiting by incoming and astute coach Craig Skinner.
The Bulldogs had already shown the improvement expected but going into round four, there was no doubt that Tigers fans were starting to become anxious about just where their team was at.
That question was answered, with Foster showcasing what it is capable of, winning by 31 points in front of its home fans.
Coaches can sometimes tell whether their team is ready to go or not based on players’ body language, the mood of the group and at times just a ‘gut feel’. That was the vibe Foster coach Sam Davies had heading into the clash with Newborough.
“It was a much better feeling pre-game which resulted in a greatly improved effort and four solid quarters of football,” Davies said.
He was impressed by the Tigers’ ability to handle the challenging conditions and work as team. While Foster was in charge at every break, the Tigers coach was full of praise for Newborough after the match, expecting the Bulldogs to issue a stern challenge when the sides next meet.
“We have enormous respect for Craig and the Newborough club, and we look forward to the return match later in the year,” Davies said.
The Tigers set the game up early, handling the testing conditions more efficiently and ultimately it proved too much for the visitors.
“The toss today was important, but not as important as getting the ball first,” Skinner said.
He said the Tigers were able to make it appear they were playing with a dry footy, while his Bulldogs at times handled the Sherrin like a piece of slippery soap.
“The margin flattered us,” Skinner said.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Mirboo North 7.7.49

MDU 6.9.45

After trailing for the majority of the afternoon, Meeniyan Dumbalk United’s first official trip to Mirboo North since 1968, resulted in it hitting the front four minutes from the finish — only to go down by four points in a nightmare final 24 seconds for the Demons, at Tigerland on Saturday.
Mirboo North’s dramatic last-gasp victory was enough to swing the Owen ‘Spud’ Harris Memorial Cup, the mighty Tigers’ way — after 300 footballers and netballers across 12 games, had competed tooth and nail for their respective clubs.
Ironically, Spud’s son and MDU senior coach, Peter Harris, was struck down with COVID-19 during the week and replaced by reserves playing coach, Dale Furphy.
Ben Campbell and Mitchell Wightman slammed through two quick goals for the home side in the opening five minutes of the match.
Early on, the Tigers looked sharp and focused, with their kick-to-handball ratio well within the accepted parameters of modern country football’s coaching guidelines.
A successful MDU snap saw the visitors reduce the gap to seven points after 15 minutes of bustling, bone-jarring combat footy, as both sides put their bodies on the line in the adverse wet weather conditions.
“They’re playing as if there’s no tomorrow,” remarked a 75-year-old MDU stalwart, who participated in the club’s previous visit 54 seasons earlier — a week after his 21st birthday.
Aided by a chilly and strong westerly, skipper Damien Turner added another Mirboo North major on the run that flew 55 metres through the air and bounced almost 25 metres, with two desperate Demons in hot pursuit.
During the second term, the Demons cleverly used the corridor as their geographical attack zone, by employing hard-running link-up footy emanating from half back — that involved long driving kicks into their forward 50.
As well, MDU’s pragmatic sanctions and traditional supply chain rectifications, denied the Tigers as many easy possessions as possible.
Sam Wilson, Joel Sinclair, Tom Corry, Fraser Kelly and rugged defender, Brendan Tomada, played active roles in MDU’s ball movement and provided headaches aplenty for their opponents with safe marking, constant running and precise disposal to teammates further afield.
Down back, Mirboo North’s Joel Lambourn, Jacob Blair — who was playing his 150th club game — Joe Brooks, Linc Oddy, Shannon Kennedy and Beau Peters limited MDU to two second-quarter goals, with solid defensive pressure.
Others contributing well in close and providing drive for Mirboo North were Wightman, Turner, Campbell, Liam Nash and first gamer, Jesse Chila.
Successive majors from Nick Cummaudo and playing coach, Josh Taylor — the latter aided by a 50-metre penalty — enabled Mirboo North to take a 14-point lead into the changerooms at half-time.
Two into-the-wind third-quarter MDU narrow misses and five consecutive behinds by Mirboo North, lifted the Tigers’ advantage to 15 points at the last change.
The battle was on to decide the match in a final quarter, where the wind was howling, light was fading and rain increased from continual to continuous.
Four goals were scored, all from free kicks and two of which included 50-metre penalties for indiscretions in the harshest of playing conditions.
On the terraces, words of frustration were small change for many observers’ thoughts — most of which they wisely refrained from disclosing.
Three successive MDU majors came from Kieran Bohn, Corry and Wayne Stewart, that gave the Demons a two-point advantage deep into time-on.
Mirboo North’s unflustered final flurry forward saw it ferry the footy around the bottom boundary towards Lambourn, who secured a mark, 75 metres from home.
An inadvertent incursion by an errant Demon into Lambourn’s protective space, advanced him 50 metres towards Mirboo North’s goal line.
From there, with the water-logged Sherrin, the big Tiger defender’s drop punt went straight through the high-diddle-diddle of big white sticks, directly over the goal umpire’s head.

Match review via Mirboo North FNC Facebook page, written by Rover.

Morwell East 8.6.54

Fish Creek 6.9.45

The old adage that a week is a long time in football has never been more appropriate than for these two teams.

Morwell East started the season with an embarrassingly poor performance against Yinnar, followed by a form turnaround and more respectable win over Thorpdale.

Fish Creek, on the other hand, started the year with wins over Foster and Toora, only to be held goalless in their loss to MDU.

Just what we were going to get in this round four clash was anyone’s guess, until the Hawks made it clear they were to be a serious contender. They managed to finish in front, 8.654 to 6.9-45 after an impressive 60 minutes of footy.

Morwell East coach Devon Soutar said his team set the game up with a good first half, limiting scoring against the breeze and maximising opportunities with it when their turn came.

“The second half was a ‘hold fort’ scenario and thankfully we were able to do so,” Soutar said.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Rob Popplestone.

Thorpdale 2.3.15

Boolarra 3.5.23

There is little more satisfying than to witness the improvement built on perseverance by clubs, coaches and players.

These two clubs should be commended and recognised for their start to the season after many years toiling near the bottom of the ladder.

The job is far from done, but the early signs are that both have respect from their opponents, and that is as valuable as winning.

But it’s nice to win as well, and that is what Boolarra did 3.5-23 to 2.3-15.

Boolarra coach Tony Giardina said it was a hard, tough game but felt his side always had control.

“Thorpdale made a contest of it,” Giardina said. “It’s an interesting start to the season, as it seems like anyone can win on their day.”

Saturday was the Demons day but the endeavour of the Blues can’t be questioned.

Thorpdale coach Ray Pickering said despite the extremely harsh conditions, “our boys executed our game plan extremely well”.

“In a great wet weather tough contest, our boys stood up to a strong Boolarra outfit, outscoring them for three quarters,” Pickering said. “But, unfortunately, just falling short. Our boys should be proud of their effort on the weekend.”

That effort will win the Blues games this year. Under the guidance of coach Pickering, there is no side turning up to Thorpdale just expecting to pick up the points, it’s always going to be a battle for the visitors.
Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Rob Popplestone.

Toora 2.4.16
Hill End 6.10.46
Match review available to read online via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Yinnar 7.13.55
Stony Creek 8.8.56
Stony Creek’s tenacious one-point away win over a confident Yinnar side has the Lions in a strong position, with a 3-1 record to start their campaign.
Yinnar has been hard at the contest this season, recording impressive wins over Morwell East and Mirboo North, and Stony Creek had to be on its game to topple the Magpies at their nest.
It became even more so after Yinnar adapted better to the wintery conditions, grabbing a 20-point lead at the long break.
“Fortunately, we regrouped at halftime and came out with purpose and some real grit, which was pleasing as our third quarters have been sluggish to date,” Stony Creek coach Jai Accardi said.
He was delighted with the come-from-behind win in a match that was in the balance until the final siren.
“We knew it was always going to be a tough battle against Yinnar and that’s what we got,” Accardi said.
Despite the close nature of the result, Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor was less than upbeat about his side’s effort.
“We were undisciplined, lacked intensity, lost the midfield battle and had too many passengers on the day,” Taylor said in a brutal post-game assessment.
He also accused his charges of failing to adjust to the conditions, despite their strong position at half time. However, Taylor gave due credit to a gallant opponent.
“I thought Stony Creek’s second half was fantastic and they deserved the win,” he said.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Sale City 10.6.66
Glengarry 9.13.67
In a round of NGFNL where Traralgon Tyers United stamped themselves as genuine premiership contenders with a win over the previously undefeated Churchill, it was the winless Glengarry who stole the headlines.
The Pies had not been within 50 points of any of their last four opponents when the final siren sounded heading into their clash with a resurgent Sale City.
While they showed signs of improvement by being within touching distance of Woodside at three-quarter time last round, few, if any, outside the club thought they would he knocking over a Bulldogs outfit that was two and one after three games and welcoming back boom recruit Sam Davidson.
By three-quarter time, Glengarry found themselves in the precise position they’d been the week before, within touching distance of a side they were not expected to knock off. Fast forward one quarter of football and the Pies had triumphed.
Four goals to two was enough to see Glengarry sneak home by the barest of margins, a single point, and the monkey was well and truly off its back.
A Jay Neagle masterclass saw the former AFL listed player snag five majors ans a return to form by Ben Britten, who’d spent a couple of weeks playing in the early game was exactly what the travelling Pies fans had hoped for.
For the home side Davidson, Ben Chivers and Ben Brett managed three majors each, but it wasn’t enough for the tri-colours to stay level on points with the sides in the top five.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times. Written by Scott Berechree.
Yallourn Yallourn North 17.12.114
Cowwarr 0.3.3
The day went expected for Yallourn Yallourn North (YYN) managing yet another 100-point plus result.
The Jets again managed to keep a side scoreless for three quarters in an effort that impressed coach Barrie Burnett.
In trying conditions, YYN managed to kick four, four, five and four goals across the four quarters while restricting Cowwarr to just three points, all of which come in the second quarter. As per usual it was Keenan and Dean MacDonald that led the goal kickers list for the Jets, bagging four a piece.
With Mitch Luck surprisingly absent from the goal kickers list it was Lachlan Fry who managed to be the only other multiple goal scorer amongst the Jets eight players to register majors.
While the match commitee failed to find a spot for him in the Jets best six players, YYN president Evan “The Iron” Sheekey suggested Darcy Shellcot was one of his sides better players.
Shellcot and Cam Maclnnes were instrumental in cutting off the Saints all too rare forward forays and both used their run and carry to effect to set up many scoring opportunities for the victors.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times. Written by Scott Berechree.
Heyfield 5.9.39
Yarram 7.16.58
Heyfield were hot on the hammer of top three aspirant Yarram as the final term got underway at the Gordon Street Reserve and the locals had every right to think they were a huge shot of an upset win.
Having given up a halftime lead, the Roos found themselves just under a goal in arrears as the final quarter started.
Factor in that Yarram played a man short with gun onballer Jayden Shea unable to make his way back from Western Bulldog duties in Adelaide the night before and it is fair to say there were some nerves in the Demons camp as well.
Having done so against YYN to get his side back into that contest, Yarram coach Justin Staley again opted for a  small forward line with great effort.
The move of Corbin Sutherland deep into the arc reaped benefits with the regular half forward or winger managing to help himself to three goals and four behinds in his sides 19-point win. With Boadie Motton taking control in the middle and Liam Bentley marking well across half back, the Demons got the win to stay within touching distance of the ladder leading Jets.
For Heyfield, it was again a case of so close, yet so far with the Roos remaining anchored in the bottom couple of spots on the ladder.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times. Written by Scott Berechree.
Traralgon Tyers United 9.15.69
Churchill 8.6.54
In a Saturday night game, the Bombers held fast against a highly fancied Cougars outfit.
Mitchell Mustoe and Michael Jacobsen were dominant early for TTU, steadying the ship after Churchill attacked early in the piece.
Ben Kearns was a major focal point up forward with five majors and Chris Williams was influential. The Cougars were well supported by the likes of Jake Roe-Duggan, Michael Diaz and Ryan Lowrie, though it was not enough to counter the home side.
Jaconsen, Mustoe and Jye Neilson made their presence felt and helped keep any resurgences from the opposition at bay. Other notable contributors in the game were Cutts, Brown, Willaton, Hourigan, Duncan and Hore.
BYE: Gormandale, Rosedale, Woodside.


Boisdale-Briagolong 5.14.44
Orbost Snowy Rovers 9.9.63
There was plenty of excitement and celebration with the Orbost Snowy Rovers winning their first match of the 2022 season last Saturday at Boisdale. In an amazing turnaround in the final 30 minutes of the game, the Blues turned a 21-point deficit into a 19-point win off the back of some sharpshooting from Hamish Nettleton and Max Welsh. Boisdale Briagolong made good use of solid breeze to lead by 15 points at quarter time, the Bombers getting great service from club debutant, the well decorated former Maffra star, Kel Porter. Porter had five consecutive Gippsland League team of the year selections, won two premierships and a league best and fairest while playing with the Eagles.
With the breeze in the second quarter, the Blues faired better with one goal to zero to trail by nine points at half time in a low scoring affair. The Bombers made use of the strong breeze in the third quarter, playing a much more direct brand of football, adding four goals to one to lead by 21 points at three quarter time.
However, with the breeze still howling and the Blues were in the game and a big last quarter was looming. Orbost Snowy Rovers (OSR) senior coach, Peter Seal, was happy with the third quarter effort.
“We were playing ok, we had some shots at goal against the breeze in the third quarter, we were well in the game coming home with the wind,” be said.
OSR played its best quarter of football for the season to run over the top of the Bombers. A combination of dominance at stoppages and hard work off hard back saw the ball constantly bombarded into the forward 50m. Onballers Lachlan Kendrick, Clay Bennett and Andrew Malcolm were getting the better of their opponents who had been damaging early. Skipper Hamish Nettleton and classy left looter Welsh, who had been starved of opportunities in the forward line most of the afternoon, cashed in with seven goals between them for the quarter, both finishing with four for the day.
The Bombers added a solitary goal.
Seal was happy with his victorious squad, praising the effort of his defenders.
“Jessie Knead, Jordan Ross, Aldan Glove, Andrew Kenny and Chris Downward were solid all day without being outstanding. They played a great possession game against the wind,”
Seal said. The coach had high of his praise for best afield Max Herbert, who was dominant from start to finish.
“Max was outstanding all day off wing and half back, he was very good for us in a great team performance,” SS said.
Match review via Snowy River Mail
Lakes Entrance 9.14.68
Paynesville 13.9.87
Paynesville consolidated their place in the top three with an impressive 21-point victory over a disappointing Lakes Entrance. The loss has left Lakes Entrance languishing in sixth place on the ladder, four points and considerable percentage behind Lucknow.
Paynesville won the toss and was afforded the opportunity to kick with the advantage of the significant breeze. the Gulls took full advantage, using their long kicking style to constantly bomb the ball into attack to their grateful forwards, Nick Pincott, Alex McLaren, Zac Kellow and Michael Walsh.
Lakes defended strongly and things were looking promising at the 15-minute mark with Paynesville having only kicked a solitary goal. The next 15 minutes, however, were extremely fruitful for the Gulls and although the delivery wasn’t pinpoint, it was plentiful, allowing the visitors to register six goals and five behinds to Lakes’ nil.
Although trailing by 41 points, the Seagulls started the second term well and truly in the game, the breeze blowing strong and it was their turn to utilise it to advantage. The sides traded goals early in the term before Lakes took control and began to play the game on their terms.
The Seagulls got back in the game with six goals to two, however it was those two Gulls goals into the breeze that would haunt the Seagulls.
The Lakes backline held up well again in the third quarter, despite missing Zac Svetlik who has been been in outstanding form this season.
Jordan Cullen, Jarred McDonnell and Carroll were woking hard through the middle as the Paynesville continued to get plenty of run and carry from McLaren, Lewis Hoffman, Reegan Paterson and Caleb Marsh. Paynesville led by 24 points at three quarter time but the game was far from over.
The last quarter saw Lakes have plenty of opportunities to win the match but they could only add 1.7 to Paynesville’s 1.2. A lot of missed shots for goal came from the dead pocket, where the game spent considerable time in the final quarter.
Paynesville’s defence held up good enough to hold on by 19 points. McLaren, Hoffman and Pincott were prominent day for the Gulls.
Liam Carroll, who was outstanding in the midfield for Lakes, Gibbs and Josh Piper all finished with two goals, while Angus McKenzie and Sam Nickless worked hard all day.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Lindenow 8.5.53
Wy Yung 16.5.101
Wy Yung got the job done on the road, defeating Lindenow by 48 points.
Eight different Tigers’ goal kickers hit the scoreboard in the convincing win.
Mitchell Toms and Mitchell Dewar headlined the list of Wy Yung’s better players, while Bradley Daniel kicked three goals. Lindenow was well-served by Cooper Shaw and Jeremy Woodward. Dylan Bolton kicked a team-high three goals for the Cats.
Match review via Gippsland Times.
Stratford 7.8.50
Lucknow 10.10.70
Stratford’s topsy-turvy start to 2022 continued with a 20.point home loss to Lucknow.
The Swans paid the prior for a ix or first-half, kicking just one goal as the Magpies swooped on six majors themselves. Lucknow stretched its advantage to 50 points by the last change, and while Stratford finished with a five-goal final quarter, the damage was already done.
Lucknow was best served by Ashley Smith, Joel McNamara, Ryan Milford and Dion Grace.
Darren Allen proved the lone multiple goalkicker for the Magpies with two goals.
Brad White earned the nod as Stratford’s best player. with Ryan Thatcher. Dylan Cartwright. Alex Marren, Riley Cottrell and Kyle Grainger strong contributons.
Jacob Bennett slotted a game-high three majors and Tim Hawkins added two.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Gregor McTaggart.


Swifts Creek 24.26.170
Bruthen 3.2.20
Swifts Creek defeated Bruthen by 150 points with Rob Crellin, Jake Westland and Ivan Hood doing most of the damage near goal.
Nick Sinclair, Beau Hack and Zac Barker were prolific ball winners in an outstanding team performance. Coach Harley Kenner
kicked three goals for the Bulldogs, with Ray Giddings, Rhys Kennedy and Matt Hall trying hard all day in what is looking like developing into a long season for the Bulldogs.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Lindenow South 7.9.51
Omeo-Benambra 7.7.49
Lindenow South trailed at every break and came from 16 points down at three quarter to time beat a gallant Omeo Benambra.
The Alpine Ranges were only able to add two points in a tight last quarter. Defender Daniel Howe was best afield for the Swampies, while Griffin Sheritt capitalised on the great work through the midfield of captain Will O’Keffe and coach Nathan Pollard.
Cameron Gardiner was dangerous all day for Omeo Benambra, his four goals not quite good enough to get his side home. The Hayward brothers, Jai and Aidan, Riley Taylor and Jake Kellar were all busy for the Ranges.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Buchan 10.12.72
Swan Reach 20.9.129
Swan Reach blew Buchan away with an impressive nine goal first quarter, on its way to a 57-point victory over Buchan.
Brandon Scott was best afield for the Swans kicking 11 goals, taking his season’s tally to 29. He received great supply and deliver throughout the afternoon from Jack Mills, and Bronson and Peter Ritchie. Tyson Siddle was back among the goals for Buchan kicking two, while Pat Whelan and Matt Dick tried hard all day in defence.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.



Bass Coast Breakers 11.12.78
Pearcedale 1.0.6

BEST: Kelly O’Neill, imogen bradford, Sophie McCracken-Evans, Chelsea Connell, Jenna Russo, Tayla Tatterson

GOALS: Imogen Bradford Kelly O’Neill 3, Ella Cargill Kate Caughey 2, Sophie Bolding 1.

THE Bass Coast Breakers were met with windy conditions for their Saturday morning match against Pearcedale.
To their surprise, the opposition won the toss and elected to kick into the wind.
Switched on from the start, the Breakers came out ready to play and made the most of the wind advantage kicking 6.3 to nil for the quarter.
The midfield provided plenty of ball into the forward line, with Sophie McCracken-Evans continuing her good form in the ruck
feeding it down to Jenna Russo, Sunday Brisbane and Tess Wingfield.
Once inside the forward 50, Kelly O’Neill and Ella Cargill marked strongly and Immy Bradford was slick in front of goal converting two first quarter opportunities.
The highlight for the quarter was a textbook chain of play in which Bradford nailed a goal on the run just 10 seconds after the centre bounce.
The Breakers controlled the ball into the wind in the second quarter, but despite dominating possession were only able to kick 5 points.
They, however, slightly extended their solid advantage, again keeping Pearcedale scoreless.
Chelsea Connell, Stacey Poke and Courtney Fletcher helped accomplish that by creating a wall across halfback.
With a strong lead of 6.8 to nil at half time, the second half allowed coach Bianca Hellmuth-Pask to try some players in different positions.
Kate Caughey showed some promising signs converting two goals in the second half.
The Breakers prevailed by 72 points, with Siaan Timoney scoring Pearcedale’s only goal in the final term.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Warragul Industrials  7.13.55
Edithvale-Aspendale 3.1.19

BEST: Jessica Reilly, Nicole Sheridan, Shanara Notman, Amanda Hines, Michaela Williams

GOALS: Renee Young 3, Samara Beaton 2, Amy Heath Amanda Hines 1.


Lang Lang 14.15.99
Pines 0.0.0

BEST: Ashlee Whitehouse, Hayley Heffernan, Hayley Dyer, Ebony Whitworth, Player, Taylor Dare

GOALS: Hayley Dyer 4, Ashlee Whitehouse 3, Hayley Heffernan Ebony Whitworth 2, Layla Bunting 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team – BYE



Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: