Bunyip 16.17.113
Korumburra Bena 4.8.32

Bunyip have snapped their two-game losing streak, easily accounting for Korumburra-Bena by 81 points.

The Bulldogs never let their opponents into the contest, putting the game to bed very early as they won 16.17 (113) to 4.8 (32).

Bunyip were brutal around the ball, using their intense tackling pressure to force Korumburra-Bena into multiple turnovers and then punishing them on the rebound.

Indeed, by half time Bunyip had kicked seven goals to two, and by three quarter time they had 13 goals to two.

The final term saw the game peter out, as both sides knew any chance of a comeback was well and truly gone.

The stars up forward were Dylan Gallasch and Connor Steel, who both kicked four goals each. The Giants, by comparison, could only manage four individual goalkickers as they struggled to find targets inside 50.

Bunyip now find themselves back with a top five spot thanks to a Dusties loss, and will now have to play the ladder-leading Tooradin-Dalmore as they try to keep it.

Bunyip’s top players were Aaron Paxton, Alexander Dijkstra, Dylan Gallasch, Nathan Allen, William Papley and Jeb McLeod.

Matt Kennewell, Darcy Hargrave, Nicholas Besley, Zach Walker, Matthew Lello and Daniel Brown were best on for Korumburra-Bena.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Kilcunda Bass 2.10.22
Cora Lynn 19.18.132

A Jimmy Munro masterclass has propelled Cora Lynn to back-to-back victories with the Cobras treating Kilcunda-Bass with contempt

in a 19.18.132 to 2.10.22 triumphant at the Bass Rec Reserve.

Munro, who has won the last two best and fairest awards with the Casey Demons, showcased his class and determination in a dominant display through the midfield.

The Cobras guns were all smoking on Saturday, with Heath and Jaxon Briggs and Chris Johnson supporting Munro in the middle, while Dillan Bass is starting to really find his feet at the Cobradome.

Full-forward Nathan Gardiner was back to his best for the Cobras, booting seven majors, while Cory Machaya with three and Gus Da Costa with two also enjoyed their Saturday afternoons in the forward line.

Ruckman Dale Gawley and the versatile Jimmy Phillips were best for the Panthers.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by Dave Nagel.

Koo Wee Rup 18.19.127
Garfield 9.12.66
Kooweerup is just one win away from squaring up its season at 4-4 after the Demons started and finished in style against Garfield at Denhams Road on Saturday.

As will Jason Wells, who slotted six, and Archie Whitta, who bagged a brace.

The was Garfield’s highest score for the season and coach Paul Carbis will be keen to work through the next fortnight against Cora Lynn and Inverloch before some opportunities arise against Dalyston and Kilcunda-Bass.

The Sauze boys, Jono and Lachie, kicked three and two goals respectively and were clearly their team’s best players.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by Dave Nagel.

Phillip Island 32.15.207
Dalyston 6.8.44
The Bulldogs were clearly inspired by the presence of the all abilities day participants because they were to turn on one of their most complete performances from the year. A blistering start in the first of 11 goals to 1 – after the Magpies were very competitive early – continued throughout the day.
The Bulldogs were to run out winners by 160-plus points in a thoroughly complete and dominant performance. Dominating all over the ground, particularly in the second half, the Bulldogs were in magnificent form. Cam Brown playing his best game by far for the seniors booted 5 goals in a frenetic first, Cam Pederson dominating all day with more than 30 individual possessions and countless demonstrations of rucking precision led the charge. Brendan Kimber returned to mid field for a 30-plus possession game much to the pleasure of the coaching panel.
The Bulldogs defence functioned superbly – particularly after half time, after some some detailed main break analysis. Forward turned key defender Max Blake led the defensive charge, more than capably filling the hole left by the injured Jason Tomada. Mid-field players including Kai MacKenzie and Zac Vernon took control later in the game and were irrepressible.
But with all of that, it was probably the three Taylors running riot in the forward line that was most impressive. Jack Taylor returned to his magnificent best, clunking more than 15 marks for the game and kicking beautifully for 7 goals. Billy Taylor fed the ball constantly into the forward line, and Ben Taylor wasn’t far behind teaming up with his brothers like they used to in their own backyard!
With the two Patullos supporting, and cameos from Harry O’Brien, Jack Papas and returning Levi Robinson, the forwards totally overwhelmed the opposition. With an exciting and challenging block of away games coming up against fellow undefeated teams Nar Nar Goon and Tooradin, the second half effort was an impressive tune-up at just the right time.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Warragul Industrials 10.9.69
Nar Nar Goon 13.13.91

The Warragul Industrials have lost their spot in the top five after falling to Nar Nar Goon by 22 points.

In what was a seesawing affair for much of the day, the Goon found another gear in the final term to run away with the match 13.13 (91) to 10.9 (69).

Star forward Dermott Yawney did the damage for the visitors, booting a game-high six goals, while Anthony Bruhn kicked three for the Dusties.

Nar Nar Goon had to do it the hard way though, as their perfect record looked to be in some trouble for various stretches of time.

From the first bounce it was clear Warragul were up for the fight, pushing hard at the contest and matching the Nar Nar Goon midfield.

Matthew Herbert and Shane Brewster were effective in the middle as the game remained close through much of the first three quarters, though Warragul were able to find themselves 13 points up going into the last change of ends.

The final quarter, however, saw Nar Nar Goon move to a whole new level, as they dominated territory in their forward half and put on six goals to none to claim victory.

Trent Armour was the standout for the Goon, as he racked up contested possessions with no issues to help will his side over the line, particularly late.

The win makes it seven on the trot for the Goon, who will face Phillip Island next week in what is sure to be a blockbuster.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Tooradin Dalmore 13.11.89
Inverloch-Kongwak 8.4.52

Tooradin-Dalmore has claimed its first significant scalp of the season with the Seagulls overcoming a brave challenge from InverlochKongwak at Tooradin on Saturday.

The Seagulls broke open a tight game of football towards the end of the third quarter, beginning a run that would conjure up the last eight goals of the contest.

The Seagulls trailed by eight points, at the 20-minute mark of the third quarter, before ramping up the ratchet on their way to a 13.11.89 to 7.10.52 victory.

Neither team gave an inch in the first half, with both teams requiring a safe-crackers licence to find their way through some well organised and well-oiled defence.

Both teams applied immense pressure, with very few chances being provided to get the ball on the outside and run.

Inverloch looked to have the upper hand when Will Turner and Ethan Park kicked goals early in the third, before former Collingwood star Brent Macaffer lifted his rating through the midfield.

Macaffer’s influence was crucial, and when Jimmy Trezise cut the margin back to two points at the 21-minute mark the Seagulls lifted all over the ground.

Brad Butler put the Seagulls in front just four minutes later before Adam Oxley struck a beautiful drop punt from very close to the arc to put the home side ahead by 12 points.

Every player on the ground ran to Oxley… the Seagulls were up and about and genuinely excited for the first time in the contest.

“We’re in a classic, your character is about to be revealed,” Inverloch coach Ben Soumilas calmly told his charges at three-quarter time.

“Whoever works the hardest will probably win the game; let’s see what you’re made of.”

Blake Grewar extended Tooradin’s lead with a great one-on-one victory in the first minute of play before Inverloch squandered its chance of getting back into the game.

The Sea Eagles kicked four consecutive points, all gettable, before the inevitable happened and the Seagulls drove home their advantage.

Goals to Liam Adams, Stewie Scanlon and Trezise put the issue beyond doubt before Trent Adams put the icing on the cake on the final siren.

Both teams were impressive.

The Seagulls showed great signs by lifting when the game was on the line, with big names like Macaffer and Oxley stepping up to the plate when needed.

But lesser lights like Lewis Hill, Dylan Paarlberg and Brady Egan were also impressive performers on the day.

Grewar and Scanlon kicked three each for the winners while Trezise finished with two.

Inverloch was outgunned in the last 40 minutes of the match but did put up a brave performance.

Walk-up starts such as Clinton McCaughan, Toby Mahoney, Tom Hams, Gareth Park and Adam Cross were all missing from their lineup, with several youngsters filling the breach in style.

The Sea Eagles were well-served by Corey Casey and Lachie Scott through the midfield, while Marcus Toussaint had a great battle with Piva Wright in the ruck.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by Dave Nagel.



Ellinbank 19.18.132
Yarragon 12.3.75

Ellinbank kicked away in the second half to shake off a persistent Yarragon.

The Panthers trailed by just five points at the first change and entered the half time break still in touch, trailing 7-12 to 5-1.

A strong third term set up the comfortable buffer for the Bankers, booting seven goals to two on the way to winning 19-18 (132) to 12-3 (75).

The Panthers came again in the final term, matching the output as each side scored five goals in a high scoring end to the contest.

Ellinbank coach Ben Wragg has spent much of the season in defence but played a role forward of centre this week to finish with five goals. Shaun Phelan and Mark Vassett each chipped in with three majors.

Also among the better players were Liam Anderson, Daniel Pratt, Timothy Farthing, Jake Harper and Ashley Scott.

Leading Yarragon’s competitive efforts were Tyler Hotchkin, Damien Allison, Leigh Diston, Devin Pollock, Thomas Follett and Zak Hogton.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Longwarry 9.6.60
Buln Buln 7.17.59

Longwarry are proving a difficult prospect at home, booting the final goal of the game to win another close one, this time by the barest of margins over Buln Buln.

The Lyrebirds entered the field of play knowing how much it would mean to take home the points, with third spot on the ladder on the line.

Despite again missing Bob McCallum, who has had surgery on his hand, the Lyrebirds would likely be ruing a missed opportunity as they went down 9-6 (60) to 7-17 (59).

A long goal set up by Matt Gray saw the Lyrebirds head into half time with a 14-point buffer in what had otherwise been a goal for goal arm wrestle early.

Jedd Serong had scored early for the Crows before link up play from Trent Baker and Simon Dawson gave Jake Pierrehumbert a good look on his left foot.

The sides traded consecutive goals before a rolling shot through the goal square saw Buln Buln head into the first change with a slight advantage.

Russell Lehmann chipped into Cooper Brown to close the margin again, only for the Crows to gift Baker the easiest of goals at the other end through the agency of a 50-metre penalty.

Jackson Caddy converted from a hold before the late goal from the Lyrebirds pushed the margin to 14 points.

Braydon McHugh kicked truly from a stoppage as the Crows edged closer, only for another 50-metre penalty to gift Buln Buln the steadier.

Next it was Buln Buln’s turn to take exception to the free kick, the umpire explaining Daniel Pullen received contact to the back of the head as the Crows levelled score heading into the final change.

Pierrehumbert converted from the pass offered by James Fowler as the Lyrebirds edged ahead again.

The Crows kept pressing and through encouragement from their home crowd in full voice, edged within a goal. Jedd Serong, who finished with three goals, Hamish Busk, Ben Cuckson, Cole Cook and Joel Pope were helping the Crows lift the intensity.

Thomas Axford and Sam Batson were trying their best to deny Longwarry, but a strong contested mark saw the Crows hit the front to set up a tense finish.

Fowler went for a run along the wing as Buln Buln made one final charge, only for the Crows to clear from defence as the siren sounded to deliver a tense one-point win for the home side.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Poowong 6.2.38
Neerim South 9.17.71
Poowong welcomed Neerim South on Saturday with the ground and the weather perfect for football and a strong crowd
turning up. Poowong were unchanged from their defeat of Nilma Darnum.
Neerim was first to hit the scoreboard with two goals from marks followed by a point.
Poowong lifted and a good mark unfortunately resulted in a point, then Alex Henshall made the most of a 50-metre penalty for Poowong’s first goal. Both sides were working hard with defences of both teams not giving an inch.
Poowong needed to contain the loose man out the back employed by Neerim as it was putting pressure on Poowong’s backline.
Neerim opened up with kick out of bounds and two points, before Poowong went forward and a good hand pass to Jack Hazendonk resulted in Poowong’s second goal. Neerim came back hard firstly with a point followed by three goals the first came from some good passes, the second from a mark and the third from a free kick to open up 22-point lead.
Poowong’s Steve McInnes kicked their third goal after a good tackle. This was followed by a goal from a good mark in the forward pocket to reduce the margin to 10 points, before Neerim added a late point.
Poowong would have to contain Neerim’s Lachlan Bambridge and Chris Urie up forward, who were taking some good marks and Kodie Wilson around the ground to put pressure on Neerim’s forward thrusts. Neerim opened with a kick out of bounds and a couple of points before Alex Henshall kicked Poowong’s fifth.
A seventeen-point lead to Neerim before they added three points, kicking their sixth goal after a mark and a hand pass this was followed by Bambridge’s kick out of bounds. Poowong needed to start well and a good pass to Steve McInnes from a free kick resulted in Poowong’s sixth back to 11 points.
Despite Poowong’s hard work around the ground, it was Neerim that did the damage on the scoreboard with three goals and five points, Poowong kicking a late point. Poowong were competitive all day, possibly their fitness might have told in the end.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Trafalgar 27.21.183
Nilma Darnum 1.2.8

Trafalgar did as expected and ran out a big win over Nilma-Darnum.

There was some early joy for the Bombers, scoring a goal to trail by just 19-points in a pleasing first term for the visitor.

The Bloods were then able to establish their dominance either side of half time, booting 10 goals in the second and nine in the third to set up a big lead at the final change.

Trafalgar handed Dylan Gauci his debut and he fitted in well, finishing the contest with three goals.

Most of the Bloods’ opportunities came from on the run, Blake Slater and Matthew Swenson scoring 11 goals between them.

The foot came off slightly in the final term, the Bloods still managing to put through another five goals.

Blake Radford, Klay Butler, Jamie Hines and Dylan Farrell were also among the better players for the home side.

The Bombers were best served by Sebastian Crowle, Korey Carrison, Ben Giles and Blake Roberts.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Nyora 9.13.67
Lang Lang 19.19.127
Match review for this game can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.


Bairnsdale 6.11.47
Traralgon 18.10.118
Bairnsdale was competitive for a half before being blown away by Traralgon in round seven of the Gippsland League at Bairnsdale City Oval last Saturday. The Redlegs went in high on confidence and moral, fresh off their first win of the season last week at Drouin. They were returning to their home ground looking to build some momentum against a Traralgon side trying to do the same, the Maroons keen to maintain their place in the top five. Bairnsdale were buoyed by the inclusion of young gun Cooper Vickery for his first senior game, back from Gippsland Power and state representative duties. The exciting youngster was given the opportunity to play with his brothers, established Redlegs players Byron and Kieran. It was a big moment for the family and the club with plenty of pre-game hype about the debut of a young man who has a bright future. Bairnsdale was hoping to start like it finished at Drouin, but the Maroons kept them goalless to lead by 19 points at quarter time. The players answered the calls of coach Logan Austin at quarter time, playing some of their best football of the season in the second quarter, kicking six goals to three to tie the match at half time. Austin and Brayden McCarrey (two goals each) looked dangerous every time the ball went forward. Unfortunately, Traralgon upped the tempo in second half, kicking 12 goals to zero, off the back of a total domination through the middle of the ground and at stoppages. Mark Collison, Luis D’Angelo, Tom Schnieder and Adam Jaensch were outstanding, ensuring a plentiful supply of goalkicking opportunities for a grateful Brett Eddy (six), Harvey Neocleous (four), Jake Best and Troy Forrest (two each). There were some positives for Bairnsdale, including the continued great form of youngster Randall Stewart and Keiran rocker, combined with the exciting debut of young Cooper Vickery.

Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Morwell 10.7.67
Wonthaggi 9.12.66
Match review of this game can be read via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Sale 16.18.114
Warragul 7.11.53
Sale made it five wins in a row. The Magpies were too strong for Warragul and got the job done 16.18 (114) to 7.11 (53) at Sale Oval. Things didn’t get off to the brightest of starts for Sale, as the Gulls kicked three goals to one in the first quarter. From there however it was all the Magpies. The home side blew the match open in the second, adding nine goals to take a 38-point lead into the main break. Sale playing coach Jack Johnstone was everywhere, and finished with 30 touches and five goals. Best for Warragul was Nick Graham, Brayden Fowler and Nick Mulqueen. The win over Warragul led in to a great night for Sale players past and present, who gathered for their annual reunion.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin
Drouin 11.7.73
Moe 12.11.83

When it comes to an average game of footy, there’s usually a script many people expect the teams to follow.

In this case on a sunny day at Drouin, the script said that Moe was going to bounce back from their first loss of the year and easily handle a young Drouin team that would be overwhelmed by the Lions’ class.

Clearly, nobody told Drouin that this was the case.

And while the Hawks were unable to claim the win in the end, they certainly lost no admirers in their 11.7 (73) to 12.11 (83) loss.

Despite the fact that this was a game between the team on the bottom of the ladder and the team in second position, you wouldn’t have known it as the momentum swung wildly between the two teams.

In the end, it took a strong five goal to none effort in the final quarter from Moe to claim victory, and even then they were made to fight for it.

Timothy Hancock was a standout in Drouin’s defence, helping to keep the Lions’ star goalkicker Harry Pepper relatively quiet.

Aden Quirk and Tom Barr were strong through the middle, while the class of Gippsland Power player Jacob Konstanty instantly stood out.

Campbell Jolly kicked three goals for the home side, while Matthew Barrand kicked four for the Lions.

The game started in extremely positive fashion for Drouin, who consistently found ways to clear the Moe defence and find goals out the back.

Tom Johnstone kicked two in the first quarter as the Hawks found themselves three goals up at quarter time, their speed seriously stretching Moe’s midfield.

After Jolly kicked the first of the second term following a dropped Moe mark, suddenly the Hawks were 25 points up and looking the goods.

From there though, Moe stepped up their intensity and, after a couple of goals to Gippsland Power youngster Bailey Humphrey, the margin had been trimmed to two goals.

A late snap by Kye Quirk ensured that Drouin would retain their solid lead going into half time, despite Moe working their way into the game.

The Lions’ lack of a tall target in their forward line had been their kryptonite in their one loss and had become an issue again, as they were unable to exploit the smaller Drouin backline in the same way Bairnsdale had a week prior.

The third quarter saw a rejuvenated Moe team, who had clearly been given a message to up their intensity.

The Lions’ tackle pressure clearly stepped up a notch, while their ball use found significant improvement, particularly as they started to hit targets on the lead inside 50 to compensate for their lack of a big body in the forward line.

Three Moe goals in a row, including two to Riley Baldi, gave the Lions the lead, and they really could have run away with the match if not for some poor goalkicking.

Hawks player Kye Quirk also had a premature end to his game, having suffered a dislocated finger in a blow to the Drouin forward line.

Drouin would strike back, however, after a beautiful end to end passage saw them transfer the ball all the way from full back into an open goal.

It was at this point that some of the Moe players lost their discipline as their frustration with how the game was panning out boiled over.

A clash broke out at Moe’s half forward line, as players from both sides ran in to fly the flag for their teammates.

The umpires, meanwhile, had paid a free kick to Drouin, who quickly exploited the fact that most of the Moe defence were involved in the scuffle to run the ball in for a simple goal.

A double 50-metre penalty immediately afterwards, paid against Moe for continuing to try and fight, gave Drouin yet another goal as they took a three-goal lead into three quarter time and an upset was very much on the cards.

The final term, however, saw the ball living in Moe’s forward half for most of the quarter as Drouin desperately tried to hold on. But after Baldi slotted his third goal on the run from the boundary line, Moe had retaken the lead.

Drouin had a precious few chances to retake the lead but just couldn’t find a way, the final siren sounding as Moe’s Matthew Barrand was lining up for goal with the Lions four points up.

A 50-metre penalty paid after the siren ensured he would kick the goal, the final margin standing at 10 points.

Regardless of the loss, the game showed just how much the young Hawks have improved in just a few short weeks, as the poor showings in their first couple of matches appear a distant memory.

With their youth now truly coming through, Drouin will present a danger game to most sides they come up against for the rest of the season.

Moe, meanwhile, showed their depth and maturity in the win as they narrowly avoided an upset loss, though they will likely want to come out stronger next week when they face the undefeated Leongatha.

Timothy Hancock, Aden Quirk, Tom Barr, Jack Fraser, Jacob Konstanty and Harry Wans were best on for Drouin.

For Moe, Bailey Humphrey, Scott van Dyk, Riley Baldi, Matthew Barrand, James Blaser and Ben Daniher were the standout performers.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Maffra 9.15.69
Leongatha 13.11.89
Maffra didn’t let the daunting task of hosting unbeaten Leongatha intimidate it, with the home side competing tenaciously, but the Parrots’ class won out in a hard-fought 20-point win.
Leongatha led at every break, but the Eagles hung in the contest, trailing by just 14 points at the final change.
Aaron Heppell was back in the green and yellow after a week on the sidelines and wasted no time getting back into his stride, being one of the Parrots’ best. Fellow midfielder Tom Marriott was prominent again.
While Leongatha only produced a couple of multiple goalscorers, with Jack Ginnane booting three and Jack Hume two, the Parrots found plenty of scoreboard contributors, with eight single goalkickers.
Maffra’s Mitchell Bennett (three goals) and Jett Killoran (two majors) matched the scoring output of Ginnane and Hume, but just four other Eagles goaled, managing only a major apiece.
To Maffra’s credit, it finished with as many scoring shots as the high-flying Leongatha, but the Eagles were unable to make their opportunities count to the same extent as the Parrots. While Heppell and Marriott were difficult for Maffra to contain from early in the match and Leongatha dominated the opening minutes, a couple of missed opportunities by the Parrots and some stoic Eagles’ defence limited the damage.
A Maffra forward foray then resulted in the day’s first major, with Bennett grabbing his opportunity and showing he would be a handful for the Parrots’ defence. However, the Eagles didn’t have long to enjoy being in front, with a leading Ginnane charging out to accept a perfect pass and nailing his resultant set shot. Leongatha took control to steam to a 23-point lead at the first break.
Any thoughts that the home side had given its best and would be swept aside in the second term were quickly quashed. Ryan Auld went on to be a standout performer for Maffra and got his side off to an electrifying start in the second quarter with some classy work through the midfield, following up with a well weighted pass to set up an Eagles’ goal. Bennett was the beneficiary, marking in the square to notch his second major.
A confident Maffra was then looking to attack at every opportunity and applied immense pressure to Leongatha when the Parrots won possession. Leongatha had to withstand a challenging period, but an accurate Ginnane pass set up a Parrots’ major. While Leongatha soon added another goal, the sides ultimately managed three majors each in a fiercely-contested term, with Maffra trimming Leongatha’s lead to 20 points at the main break.
With Maffra pressing hard early in the third term, a hopeful kick bounced through for what was awarded an Eagles’ goal, despite the possibly justified protestations of Leongatha’s Ben Perry that the footy was touched.
Suddenly everything was going the Eagles’ way and they were just 13 points adrift. While the run and class of Marriott helped set up a Tallin Brill goal for Leongatha, Maffra couldn’t be shaken off. The Parrots applied pressure to the Eagles’ backline, but it proved up to the challenge and Maffra continued to show plenty of run and attacking spirit, setting up its own forward opportunities. Killoran seized on one such chance 16 minutes in, goaling from a set shot at close range to have Maffra within striking distance again. When Daniel Bedggood made no mistake with his long-range effort moments later the Eagles looked in with a chance to cause a major boilover, trailing by just seven points.
Leongatha had to throw everything into preventing a confidence-filled opponent from goaling again, with Maffra looking increasingly threatening. When an exhausted Ginnane willed himself to lead, resulting in a mark and goal, Parrots flocked from everywhere to congratulate him. It was clear how much the goal meant, being the final action of the third term and giving Leongatha its 14-point buffer.
Killoran booted his second goal five minutes into the final term, putting Maffra just seven points behind and the Eagles looked full of menace. A goal line scramble and resultant behind soon cut Leongatha’s lead to a straight kick. A Heppell snap restored some breathing space for the Parrots shortly after, with Hume following up with another from a challenging but not acute angle.
While Maffra continued to battle hard, there was just one more goal for each side left in the contest, with a relieved Leongatha happy to head home with the four points. Marriott’s drive went a long way to getting the Parrots over the line in a match in which they were sternly tested. The ruck duel between Leongatha man mountain Ben Willis and his more mobile opponent Auld was an absorbing one. While Auld showed the versatility to double as a ruckman and midfielder, Willis contributed solidly around the ground.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Fish Creek 6.7.43
Tarwin 21.5.131
Despite being the away team, unbeaten Tarwin was quick to settle, with its first quarter accuracy proving decisive against host Fish Creek.
While the Kangaroos mustered only 2.3(15) for the term, the Sharks’ perfect 6 goals straight gave the visitors a handy lead by the first break.
Tarwin then took charge, slamming on a further 15 goals in the remainder of the match, while allowing the Kangaroos just four more majors in that period.
“I’m proud of the boys staying disciplined and grinding away with Fish Creek all day,” Tarwin coach Troy Hemming said.
“They threw what they had us and the boys rode it out, and it was a great day of football.”
Clubs continue to struggle with numbers, with Covid, the flu, injuries and availability all adding pressure to putting a side on the park, and Fish Creek was another club hit this week.
“We had 12 out at the start of the day and finished the game with 17 again,” Kangaroos’ coach John Danckert said.
“That said, Tarwin is a really good outfit, quick and efficient with the footy, and we felt we matched them at centre clearance, but from then on, they tore us apart.”
Tarwin was not in the conversation preseason when there was talk about who would feature in the final five, but they certainly are now, peering down from the ladder’s top rung.
The Kangaroos were fancied for finals, but currently sit tenth, with just a couple of wins.
Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.
Hill End 11.9.75
Foster 10.9.69

Some people get on, some people don’t. Some clubs have a healthy rivalry, some have a rivalry with a twist of nasty as well.

From the outside looking in, it appears in a very short time these two teams have not only established a new found rivalry but also there is not much love lost between the two.

The Rovers are always keen to make their home ground a nightmare for any visiting teams. With the competition so tight, winning this one would also deliver some extra satisfaction for the victors.

That’s what the Hillsmen got, winning by one straight kick 11.9-76 to 10.9-69.

Hill End coach Mike Santo said Foster played a high pressure game and was very well coached, adding “Zane Duursma is a legitimate top five AFL draft pick if ever I’ve seen one”.

“A hard fought game that we were happy to come out on top of,” reflected Santo. “We were able to gain some ascendency around the stoppages, which enabled us to play the game in our half for a majority of the day. It was big step up from last week and encouraging win with Luke Mulqueen, Chase Saunders and Ben Kerrigan crucial in the win.”

The loss came in a game played in good spirits but was another tough one for Foster to take, the Tigers seemingly ever so close every week.

“Hill End beat us through the midfield all day, which gave their forwards one on ones and ground coverage,” Foster coach Sam Davies said. “We still nearly pinched it, but ultimately need to be better for longer throughout the games.”

He was also impressed with Duursma, stating “do yourself a favour and follow Zane Duursma’s journey, what a treat”.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Yinnar 22.17.149
Thorpdale 0.9.9

Yinnar have proved to be the most difficult side to read in a handful of games to date.

The Magpies are seemingly unbeatable one week and then almost a shadow of their former self just seven days later.

Coach Daniel Taylor knows he has the artillery to go to war against almost every side in the competition. But having his men ready to perform at their very best “every” week is proving to be a little more difficult.

After a team meeting during the week rather than a training session, the Yinnar side did what they knew they could and did it better than they thought they might. They produced one of the biggest wins of the season, 22.17-149 to 0.9-9.

“The boys responded well after a disappointing two weeks, (a) full four quarter effort by the boys which was great to watch,” Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said. “Great to be back on the winners’ list in what is a very tight competition. It was a tough day for Thorpy, (who) we know had a few out which makes it hard. But I thought they battled on all day.”

The loss was too much for Thorpdale coach Ray Pickering, reflecting “completely outplayed by a good outfit in Yinnar…sorry I just have nothing else to say.”

The fact is you sometimes have a dirty day, and this was one of those days for the Blues. You can also forgive a side for “not being there” on the odd occasion, but you cannot forgive two in a row and that is now the challenge for Thorpdale.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Boolarra 10.9.69
Mirboo North 6.5.41
Boolarra’s first success over Mirboo North since 20 July 2013 saw it regain the George Lewis Memorial Shield, when it outclassed the mighty Tigers by 28 points at Boolarra Recreation Reserve on Saturday.
The devouring Demons ruthlessly dined out on the hapless Tigers, consuming a full menu of appetizers, entrees, mains and desserts — before washing the lot down with some well-earned celebratory drinks after the game.
Thankfully, no goals were scored from 50-metre penalties as players continue to adjust to new stand-on-the-mark and umpire dissent rules introduced by the AFL.
With just two narrow victories from six matches, Mirboo North’s inconsistent season of ups and downs continues, as it currently and uncharacteristically sits 11th on the Mid Gippsland ladder.
Meanwhile, the much-improved Boolarra jumps into third place after three wins and a draw with plans to feature in this year’s finals — following almost a decade in footy’s dreaded wilderness.
Mirboo North wore black armbands as a mark of respect for its 1956 & 1957 senior premiership representative, George Snell, following his passing during the week.
In their footballing heydays, George and his four brothers — Dave, Charlie, Billo and Pud — were renowned throughout Gippsland, securing a combined total of 15 senior Mirboo North flags amongst themselves between 1956 and 1966.
Boolarra’s Sam Mazou, Ben Mason, Joel Mason and Michael Cleaver, were joined by 2022 signings Luke Marriott and Nick Miller, in its six best players for the afternoon.
Other recruits to stand out for the Demons were Ricky Cochrane, Kyle Hearne, Luke Miller and Josh Segond, all of whom refused to be second to the ball.
The game opened fast and furiously in glorious 16c sunshine under a cloudless blue sky — with Jack Charlton snaring Boolarra’s first goal with a mid-air snap after three minutes of brisk ball movement and intense contested ball combat in the packs.
Mirboo North then took a five-point lead into the quarter-time huddle, after rearguard replies from Ben Campbell and playing coach, Josh Taylor.
The new-look, powerful and lightning-quick Demons, employed superior teamwork as they outworked the visitors and took control of proceedings with a three-goal rush halfway through the second quarter.
Other than conceding early third-term running goals from Jordan Cummaudo and Taylor — that saw Mirboo North trail by three points — Boolarra’s commitment to its game plan implementation was unrelenting and its execution of same, near flawless.
As the third quarter progressed, the Demons’ pressure at the stoppages, structured defensive intensity and midfield momentum surges, repeatedly restricted their opponents’ advances — to kick 23 points clear by the last change.
But the battle-hardened Tigers refused to lie down, with Joel Lambourn drilling a 45-metre set shot to start the last term.
Soon after, Shaun Falla and Mazou put the game to bed for the home side with their first and third goals respectively.
Key Mirboo North defender, Julian Blackford was valiant in his return from a lengthy spell on the long term injury list, whilst Mitch Richardson was resourceful in the ruck.
Campbell, Joe Brooks, Liam Nash, Hudson Kerr and Beau Peters were other serviceable Tigers.
Mirboo North selected teenage defender Taj Wilkins who acquitted himself well in his first senior appearance for the club.
Wilkins joins other talented youngsters, Ethan Woodall, Jordan and Nick Cummaudo, Beau Peters and Rory Peter, all of whom the Tigers have promoted to senior ranks.
Match review via multiple publications, written by Rover.
Toora 7.9.51
MDU 8.6.54

After a well-timed week off, Toora came within just one straight kick of winning their first match of the season.

On a high after their one-point victory over Hill End, MDU held out the Magpies 8.6-54 to 7.9-51.

“We came so close, our side was well drilled and put in effort all day,” Toora coach Matt Ponton said. “Our backline was amazing and two players, in particular, played great all day. Peter Grant and Jack Weston did amazing work, our structure was really strong and made everything for MDU tough. I’m proud of the players for the guts they showed.”

The win was an important one for the Demons to stay in touch with the all important top five.

“All credit needs to go to Toora, they made us play the game on their terms,” MDU coach Peter Harris said. “We did just enough to take home the four points. We can have faith we can turn it around for next week’s massive challenge against the Bulldogs.”

The competition is such that no side can spend too much time bathing in their success before quickly turning their attention to the week ahead.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Morwell East 5.9.39
Newborough 11.16.82


Sale City 21.10.136
Cowwarr 3.6.24
Sale City, bolstered by the return of Bohdi Walker, dismantled Cowwarr in a dominant four quarter performance at home. Jack Kirkham and Walker slotted four each for the winners, who increased their lead in every quarter and ultimately got the victory by 112 points. 21.10 (1361 to 3.6 (24). Blake Safstrom, Josh Taker and Ben Brett were among the best for the winners while for the Saints it was Ben Coffey, Shane Morgan and Nick Wozniak listed as best.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express, written by Scott Berechree.
Woodside 7.6.48
Churchill 13.8.86
The  clash between Woodside and Churchill promised to be a ripping contest, with an undermanned Churchill making the trek to Wildcat territory with the home side coming off a near 100-point win. If the game wasn’t over by quarter-time when the visitors led 28 points to one behind it surely was at the main break when Churchill headed to the away rooms leading 9.6(60) to 2.2 (14). Even with the game almost beyond dispute the contest only got hotter with several spot fires breaking out across the field. Three players were given their marching orders and a Churchill player whisked away to hospital with suspected broken ribs following a heavy clash which saw the umpire pull out the pen and paper. While all this was going on the ever green Brendan Holt was slotting goal after goal, finishing with five, while on-ball weapon Jake Roe-Duggan hit the scoreboard for the second week in a row finishing with three majors. For Woodside, only Ryan Foot managed multiple goals in what was an ordinary day for the home side.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express, written by Scott Berechree.
Heyfield 30.25.205
Gormandale 0.0.0
Heyfield entered their clash with Gormandale as hot favourites. The Kangaroos were coming off their first win of the year and Gormandale was besieged by injury and unavailability. But few if any would have foreseen what took place over the next four quarters of play. Heyfield got back to their ruthless, unrelenting best and after kicking 7.7 (49) to no score in the first quarter the contest was over. What unfolded from there was the stuff of nightmares for the Tigers – the Kangaroos kicked 10, eight and then five majors across the next three quarters to rim away winners 35.25 (205) to no score. Jesse Bedggood was irrepressible in front of the big sticks slamming home 10, with six other players kicking multiple goals with a staggering dozen Kangaroos all ending up kicking goals. The shining light for Gormandale was again Kodie Owen who has been enormous so far this season, registering no less than five best on ground performances from his six outings. First season coach Chris Potalej and club president Daniel Earl will have a job ahead of them this week keeping the players as upbeat as possible. These two however have seen plenty of adversity over the years at Gormandale and are the right two blokes to get the job done.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express, written by Scott Berechree.
Rosedale 18.15.123
Glengarry 13.5.83
Glengarry on the road to Rosedale slotted five goals straight in the first quarter. Generally this would see the visiting side run into the quarter time huddle full of enthusiasm, however in this instance the Magpies actually trailed by 18 points as the siren sounded. Rosedale had managed 13 scores and slotted 7.6 (48) While the scoring continued for both sides in a free flowing contest, sadly for the visiting Magpies so too did the scoring ratio and the home side ran away 40-point winners 18.15 (123) to 13.5 (83). Midfield jet Rohan Diamond had a day out slotting seven goals with Thomas Northe helping himself to five in a best on ground effort for the Blues. For Glengarry, it was Jackson Hall and Spencer Poulton with four goals each that led the way. Hall was joined by Jack Burgess and Paul Henry as the best three on the ground for the Magpies.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express, written by Scott Berechree.
Yallourn Yallourn North 9.7.61
Traralgon Tyers United 8.6.54
The other game involving top four sides saw a much closer match-up with YYN taking all four quarters to get the better of a persistent ‘ITU outfit. After kicking five goals to three to open the contest the home side Jets’ looked to have things on their terms. ‘ITU had other ideas however and after limiting the Jets to only two points in the second term things were as good as even when both sides headed for the sheds at the long break. The third quarter was an arm wrestle that saw both sides add a pair of majors to their scores, setting up an epic finish with YYN leading by just three points at the final change. When Keenan Hughes kicked his fourth of the game the Jets led by just over a goal and that’s where the margin stayed with the home side eking out a hard-fought seven-point win, 9.7 (61) to 8.6 (54). Campbell Machines, Dylan Bentley and Jai Massese were listed as better players for the winners. For TTU, it was midfield bull Mitch Muncie and Liam Willaton, one of two multiple goal kickers for the Bombers, noted as better players.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express, written by Scott Berechree.


Lakes Entrance 10.9.69
Lucknow 9.11.65
Lakes Entrance has claimed a thrilling four-point victory over Lucknow in round seven of East Gippsland football to stay in touch with the top four.
In a contest that saw the sides separated by little more than 10 points all game, Seagulls veteran James Gibbs kicked the sealing set shot following a holding free kick against Luke Belfrage at the 24-minute mark to hand Lakes its third victory of the season.
Lakes kicked the opening goal of the final term through Thomas Duncan after a smart chain of handballs deep in attack to lead by 15, however after eight minutes and three quick goals to the Magpies, the visitors had surged to their first lead since early in the second term.
Lakes forced its way back in front through a smart crumbing goal from Liam Carroll at the 15-minute mark. Despite some steadfast defence, a quick grab transition for half back saw Jackson Smith earn a holding free kick 15m from goal. He converted and Lucknow had regained a four-point buffer.
Gibbs, who finished with four goals, had an immediate chance to reply for the Seagulls following a strong mark, but the typically accurate set shot kicker, pushed it to the left for a behind. Lakes caused a turnover from the kick in a minute later and after a short scrimmage Duncan missed a long running shot and the deficit was two.
Again the Seagulls were able to limit Lucknow’s movement from defence, creating a turnover on the clubrooms wing where a long and high entry saw Gibbs and Belfrage in a one-on-one. Gibbs gained front position and Belfrage could do little, except hold, to stop Gibbs from winning the contest. The resulting goal was the sealer.
The Seagulls had to hold firm for defensively for the remaining three minutes and we’re able to thwart any Magpies attacking movement, recording their third win to sit sixth on the ladder, four points behind the Magpies and Paynesville.
Angus McKenzie was a pillar in defence and played an integral midfield role when Liam Carroll went down injured before half time. Gibbs was joined by Ben Crittenden as the major goalkickers with three, Fraser Dostine was steadfast down back and took the game on at every opportunity while Derek Steedman worked tirelessly in the ruck against the in-form Dion Grace.
Jackson Smith kicked three goals for the Magpies and was a regular ball winner alongside Joel McNamara and Josh Carroll, while Brodie Matthews kicked two goals and was influential.
Match review via The Lakes Post.
Lindenow 17.15.117
Orbost Snowy Rovers 9.17.71
Orbost Snowy was competitive for three quarters before being overrun by Lindenow in the last quarter at the Cattery. Trailing by eight points at quarter time, 10 points at half time and even with the margin out to 18 points at three quarter time, the Blues were well within striking distance. However the Cats weren’t keen to lose their third consecutive match in a row, upping the tempo and piling on seven goals to two in the final quarter to win by 46 points. The Blues struggled to contain the Lindenow forward combination of Dylan Bolton (eight goals) and Bayley Croucher (three goals) all day. Max Welsh was the leading goalkicker for the Blues with three, Beau Lawrence contributed two, and key toward Hamish Nettleton restricted to just one. Justin Gould was again outstanding in another best-on-ground performance, ably assisted by Jeremy Woodward and Tray Lawson. Versatile onballer Braeden Ross, Lachlan Kendrick and Gus Rogers were solid four quarter performers for the Blues.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Boisdale-Briagolong 13.11.89
Wy Yung 12.9.81
Boisdale-Briagolong is all of a sudden back in business. The Bombers defied all odds to defeat ladder-leaders Wy Yung at home.
Needing a strong start to avoid being blown off the park, the home side did just that, kicking four goals to three in the first quarter. Both sides managed eight goals up to half-time, which bucked the trend to a degree as many East Gippsland games tend to be won by sides scoring between eight to 10 majors.
Things remained tight after the main break, but the Bombers were able to take a handy 10-point lead into three quarter time. Sensing victory, Boisdale-Briagolong put in a huge final quarter effort to give their home fans plenty to be proud of, holding on to win by eight points. Captain Shaun Bates and coach Sam Bedggood each led from the front, putting in great performances, as did Brendon Rathnow, Billy Marshall, Brett Hudson and Gus Leemon. Rathnow provided plenty in the front half, finishing with three goals, while Cal Egan and Jim Reeves nabbed three each. Best for Wy Yung was Mitch Dewar, Bayden Ashwood, Brad Daniel, Mitch Toms, Harry Kellow and Chris Wheeler.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.
Stratford 5.13.43
Paynesville 8.7.55
Stratford lost a low-scoring grind against Paynesville. The Swans are still yet to win consecutive matches in 2022, after going down to the Gulls 8.7 (55) to 5.13 (43) at home.
The home side led at quarter time and half-time, and looked to have the game on their terms, however, inaccuracy in front of goal ultimately proved to be their detriment. Stratford could only manage one major after the long break, to go with an overall score of 1.9 (15), while their opponents managed 5.4 (34).
The last quarter was indeed frustrating for all wearing the red and white, as the Swans kicked 1.6 (12) to 3.3 (21) after trailing by only three points at the last change. Ryan Thatcher was best on ground for Stratford, and received good support from Brad White, coach Jarryd Clohesy, James Channing, Lincoln Toner and Ben Channing, who made a welcome return to the fold. Best for Paynesville was Charlie Walsh, James Farquhar, Lachlan O’Connor, Nick Pincott, Daniel Jones and David Ashworth.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.


Swifts Creek 4.8.32
Lindenow South 6.7.43
The match of the round saw top of the ladder Lindenow South visit second placed Swifts Creek in a clash that promised so much and while scoring was far from free flowing, the ensuing low-scoring battle ensured scores remained tight with the Swampies claiming an 11-point victory. The Swampies went in without coach Nathan Pollard due to injury, the Demons also not at full strength with key players Beau and Jesse Hack sidelined. In a tough and torrid opening neither side was prepared to concede an inch, the ball going back and forth up the ground with both defences on top. Pollard’s exclusion meant that Swampies captain, Sam Howden, would play as an onballer, which would rob the team of a key option in the forward 50m. Exciting young Lindenow South talent, Griffin Sherritt kicked the first goal after finding space, while shortly after another youngster, Seth Smith, marked strongly and goaled, setting up a handy break. Swifts Creek got one back late in the quarter when the busy Mark Cooper was taken high and converted Cooper, Che Davies and Arthur Wright were all lively in the second term as Swifts Creek begin to take control and was more efficient with the football. Josh Clifford goaled early and when Cooper got his second shortly after the Demons were in front. Every time the ball went forward for Lindenow South, gun forward Max Solomon was either outmarked by Demons capain, Tom King, or he punched it to his side’s advantage. Midway through quarter Clifford was yellow carded for a language indiscretion and the extra man brought the Swampies back into the game, with Sherritt, Howden, Daniel Howe and Will O’Keefe capitalising on the good work of ruckman, Brad Pedder, at the stoppages. South’s Nathan Fehst found space just before half time and goaled, tying the game up at the long break. The third quarter was a torrid affair dominated by the Swampies, but to their credit the Demons weren’t going to lie down. Russell White went into the middle after half time for the visitors and immediately had an impact copping one high with the advantage spilling to Solomon, who kicked truly. Soon after Fehst roved a marking contest perfectly with the resulting major making the margin two goals in a light contest An ugly incident saw Wright and the South’s Scott Dare sent off, Wright red carded and reported on three different striking charges. Dare was yellow carded but he didn’t return after the incident just inside the boundary between the two coach’s boxes. The last quarter was tight and willing, the Wright/Dare incident increasing the intensity. Swifts Creek dominated all the play in opening five minutes and were rewarded when Jamie Barton, who had played mainly in the midfield, marked and goaled. The experienced Robbie O’Keefe replied for the Swampies a short time later and while Swifts Creek had numerous chances to draw closer in the final 10 minutes, scoring attempts were either off line or the ball was ran out of defence by the Swampies. Better players for the winners were Sherritt, White, Pedder, Howe and Howden. Swifts Creek captain King was outstanding, getting great support from Barton, Davies and Nick Sinclair.

Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Swan Reach 12.6.78
Omeo Benambra 11.7.73
Swan Reach and Omeo Benambra engaged in an epic encounter at Swan Reach, the home side coming from 13 points behind at three quarter time to win with the siren eminent. The five-goal to two last quarter was capped off by the final goal kicked by Swan Reach captain, Jack Wheatfill-Edes, in the goal square to put his side in front when it mattered most. League leading goalkicker, Brandon Scott, booted four goals to take his seasons tally to 38. He’s become a focal point up forward and will be pivotal in the Swans efforts to make the finals. Swans coach Joel Waters has his team playing with great spirit and hardness to engage in every contest. He was joined in the best players by Jesse Guarnaccia, Will Cantrill and Charles Solomon. Aaron Cameron (four gals) and Jai Hayward (three goals) were the leading goalkickers for the Ranges. Hayward was outstanding all day in a best-on ground performance, ably assisted by Brent Hartnell, backmen Trent Hessom, ball magnet Riley Steenholdt and coach Cody Graske.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.
Bruthen 14.10.94
Buchan 17.13.115
Buchan defeated Bruthen by 21 points at Bruthen, with Tyson Siddle (six goals) and Man Dick (four goals) dangerous up forward. The Cavemen controlled the game from half time, in a positive result for both clubs. Bruthen, who has struggled all season for numbers and copped some horrific scoreboard humiliations, kicked their highest score for the year (94), had their best quarter (five goals) and fielded a competitive outfit. Captain-coach Harley Kenner kicked six goals and was joined in the best by Jay Robbie, Ray Giddings and Rhys Kennedy. The Cavemen’s mix of experience and youth was again the catalyst for a well-deserved win. Siddle, who has now kicked 28 goals, was adjudged best afield, with support from Pat Whelan, Cameron Edwards, Shaun Coleman and James Joiner.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.



Warragul Industrials 15.12.102
Devon Meadows 3.1.19

BEST: Unavailable

GOALS: Unavailable

Bass Coast Breakers 3.4.22
Coburg 2 4.6.30

BEST: Chelsea Connell, Sunday Brisbane, Tayla Tatterson, Stacey Poke, Kelly O’Neill, Kate Caughey

GOALS: Ella Cargill Jenna Russo 1.


Lang Lang 19.11.125
Mornington Reserves 4.1.25

BEST: Cait van Dord, Ebony Whitworth, Nicole Cicciari, Sunday Denny, Stefanie Harper, Taylor Dare

GOALS: Ebony Whitworth 9, Kelly Cerra 3, Stacie Clarke Emily Lesjak 2, Shayla Hamilton Cait van Dord 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team 2.3.15
Red Hill 3.4.22

BEST: Tessa Binney, Kathrine Groendahl, Keryn Galloway, Amanda Hines, Emmerson Taylor

GOALS: Hayley De Graaf Tayla Lochki 1.


Foster 7.1.43

Foster: Bonnie-Rose Waters, Lois Rodger, Ella Carr, Kelly Donchi, Stella Brewer, Elsa Marino
Moe-Newborough: Jade Abbott, Izabella Rosato, Kylie Mann, Player, Lisa Whiteside, Lynette Patten

Foster: Tyla Angwin Chloe Dodd Kelly Donchi 2, Rachael Francis 1.
Moe-Newborough: Nikia Webber 7, Lynette Patten Jade Abbott 2, Charli Abbott 1.

BYE: Lindenow South


Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: