Bunyip 17.6.108
Dalyston 9.3.57

Bunyip coach Tim McGibney will be breathing a deep sigh of relief after his Bulldogs broke a three-game losing streak against Dalyston on Saturday.

With no Shaun Burgoyne to contend with, the Bulldogs made an early statement with a 6.3 to 1.0 opening term to set up their 17.6.108 to 9.3.57 victory.

While the end result looks impressive enough, the game was still up for grabs at three-quarter time after the Magpies kicked five goals in the third quarter to cut the margin back to 24 points.

Coming off three-consecutive losses, and being outscored in the previous two quarters of football…the Bulldogs had a decision to make.

It was also the 150th senior game for skipper Jeb McLeod.

And thankfully they decided to stand up, kicking 5.3 to 1.0 in the final term to race away with a confidence-building win.

Ash Allen, Dylan Gallasch and regular defender Aaron Paxton booted three each for the Bulldogs, while McLeod celebrated hard after having his typical huge influence around the ground.

Matt O’Halloran and Jye Keath kept things tidy in the key defensive posts, while Xavier Kinder and Jack Blakey were others to step up on a huge day for the club.

Dalyston did show resilience to bounce back from its horror first-quarter performance to still be in the game at the three-quarter time break.

The leadership of Blake Carew, Brad Monson, Curtis Murfett and Mick Marotta was a crucial factor in the fightback and will hold the Magpies in good stead moving forward.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Cora Lynn 17.7.109
Warragul Industrials 10.9.69

Cora Lynn continues to steadily build momentum with the Cobras making it six wins on the bounce with a 17.7.109 to 10.9.69 victory over Warragul Industrials.

The Dusties stayed with the Cobras during a high-octane first quarter – where 11 goals were scored – but couldn’t match motors after quarter time.

The Cobras built a five-point lead to 24 points at the main break, and extended to 33 points at the final change of ends.

The Cobras then rubber-stamped a good day at the office by winning their fourth quarter for the match with a three-goal-to-two final term.

The Cobras big guns all fired in front of the big sticks, with Nathan Gardiner making it 34 goals from his last six games with a five-goal haul, while speed-machine Jaxon Briggs and the classy Cory Machaya bagged three goals each for the afternoon.

Machaya has mirrored Gardiner’s improving form, kicking 12 goals from his last four games and proving a real headache for opposition defenders to deal with.

Rylan Smith and Brent Urwin backed up solid games against Kooweerup last week with further starring roles, while Tristan Warkuss, Tom Stiglich and gun-Casey-recruit Jimmy Munro were also effective around the contest.

The Dusties were once again competitive against a fellow top-six contender, but are just lacking that little something that will see them take the next step.

They have now lost all five games against the top teams, with a 22-point loss to Nar Nar Goon in round seven the closest they have got all season.

But the Dusties, under coach Harmit Singh, are still one of the better stories of the year, considering where they’ve come from… and the direction they’re heading in.

Mason McGarrity continued his staggeringly consistent output with four goals, while classy left-footer Travis Ogden made a solid contribution with two.

Winger Bailey Beck was once again a driving force for the Dusties, while Matt Herbert and underrated tall Jackson Mockett certainly took things up to the Cobras.

Cora Lynn will be desperate not to take a backward step when it hosts Bunyip this week, while the Dusties host Phillip Island in another huge test for Singh and his improving list.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Garfield 9.12.66
Kilcunda Bass 10.13.73
A match review of this game can be read via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Inverloch Kongwak 12.14.86
Nar Nar Goon 10.6.66
A match review of this game can be read via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Phillip Island 28.19.187
Korumburra Bena 3.2.20
A match review of this game can be read via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Tooradin Dalmore 26.12.168
Koo Wee Rup 7.9.51

Tooradin-Dalmore has put a few things in perspective after another Stewart Scanlon masterclass led the Seagulls to a thumping 26.12.168 to 7.9.51 victory over a disappointing Kooweerup.

Coach Lachie Gillespie will hate us getting too far ahead of ourselves here, but the Gulls are an absolute lock to finish top-two now with a two-game and massive percentage break over third-placed Inverloch-Kongwak.

There’s still a lot of water to flow under the bridge in Tooradin town, but even one or two losses over the remaining seven rounds of the season won’t see the Gulls removed from a coveted top-two position.

The Gulls started brilliantly on Saturday, leading by five goals at the first change of ends before the Demons produced their only competitive quarter for the match.

Players like Nathan Muratore, Mitch Davey and Fletcher McMillan stuck to their guns against high-class opposition to lose the second term by just five points.

But 15 goals to two after the main break undid all that hard work in an instant.

Scanlon continued his freakish form of late, kicking seven goals to add to hauls of eight and five in his previous two games.

The mid-sized forward becomes just the second player this season, alongside Cora Lynn’s Nathan Gardiner, to kick 20 goals in a three-game streak this year.

But Scanlon Street wasn’t the only way home for the Gulls on the weekend, with four goals coming via Blake Grewar Grove and Julian Suarez Court, while Jimmy Trezise Circuit and Piva Wright Parade were other avenues that provided three goals each on Saturday.

Those goal-kickers mentioned above were outstanding, while Brent Macaffer, Brad Butler and veteran defender Adam Galea produced games of the highest quality.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.


Trafalgar 5.11.41
Poowong 6.6.42
Poowong travelled to Trafalgar for their Round 11 clash, as many of the players who missed Round 9 were helped by the bye in round 10 and were back to strengthen the side against a strong Traf ’ outfit.
Poowong needed a victory to stay in touch with the finals. The Traf’ ground was heavy from recent rain but the players were still able to run on it.
Trafalgar came out hard and booted two quick goals and were looking good, but the Poowong players lifted their game around the ground and fought back to level the scores at 13 to end the first term.
Jack Hazendonk and Connor Cunningham were playing well which encouraged the players around them.
The second quarter was tight with both defences working hard to control the ball. Poowong added the only goal for the quarter to lead by six points at half time.
Poowong were a big chance to knock off the strong Trafalgar side if they continued to work hard, and support one another in the second half. The third quarter was again a tight one with the defences of both sides on top. Trafalgar managed to add two
goals to Poowong’s one to go into the last quarter with a one-point lead and it was still anyone’s game.
Among Poowong’s players making an impact up to three quarter time were Hazendonk, Cunningham, Will Lumby and Patrick Harmes in a team effort.
Poowong hit the front early in the final quarter, but Trafalgar added a goal and four behinds to take back the lead. Poowong were not giving up and added two goals to put their nose in front by four points, they were working hard defending their lead and were controlling the play until the last couple of minutes when Trafalgar went forward. Poowong’s defence held up again and managed to hold Trafalgar to a behind to snatch victory by three points.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Longwarry 10.9.69
Lang Lang 16.12.118

Match review can be viewed via Warragul Drouin Gazette here.

Ellinbank 11.9.75
Nyora 6.6.42

Ellinbank further consolidated its place in the Ellinbank District football top five, but it didn’t come without its challenges against a determined Nyora side.

Facing a significant deficit at half time, the Saints rallied to kick four of the last five goals to put some respectability into the score in going down 11-9 (75) to 6-6 (42).

Nyora held firm early despite Ellinbank dominating the territory.

It wasn’t until mid-way through the first term until the home side had their first major, Anthony Battista reading the drop of the ball best from a Saints kick from defence to mark and goal.

Shaun Phelan found Michael Urie running back towards goal for a snap from the top of the square to make it two quick goals, but the Saints were able to hold firm again and keep the margin to just 16 points at the first change.

A six goal second term would ultimately open the flood gates and give the Eagles a handy buffer heading into half time.

The Eagles began the term with a methodical approach, working back to go forward, and it paid dividends with a mark and goal from coach Ben Wragg.

A free kick to Daniel Risol set up a snap from the pocket and the Eagles had the first four.

Any threat of the Eagles running away with it were momentarily dispelled as Scott Pugh and Travis Stewart combined to find a way through, finding Ben Lineham in the pocket who converted the set shot.

Ellinbank had the quick answer with Wragg roving and snapping, his movement appearing unrestricted despite sporting a knee brace.

The Eagles had another through a soccer shot before Wragg brought the ball to ground to allow for another roved shot and three goals in quick succession.

Some loose checking allowed Jack Champion to find Zach Holton as the Eagles finished their work to head into half time with a 45-point advantage.

Any chances of a blowout were quickly dispelled as the Saints rallied in the second half.

With the Saints’ cause aided by an Ellinbank send off early in the third term, the home side lifted their work rate and were able to hold firm.

It allowed the Saints to rebound with relative ease, as Ellinbank forwards were often opposed to two, but the visitor still found opportunities hard to come by.

Their at times luckless season was summed up when multiple Nyora players lost sight of the ball on the wing due to the setting sun, allowing Phelan to chip over to Wragg for the easiest of goals from the square despite the disadvantage in numbers.

Gaige White linked up with Jake Dean, who in turn found Daniel Pratt whose long shot cleared the line for the Eagles’ 10th.

While the Saints had not been able to gain an advantage, the question loomed ahead of the final change whether the Eagles would continue their merry way, or if they had tired.

The Saints converted from the pocket in the dying stages of the third term, and it would spark a run of momentum to see the Saints finish with five of the final six goals.

The Saints cut off an inboard kick to find Pugh running at goal, Sam Dixon marked from a repeat entry before Pugh snapped from the top of the square to make it four on the trot.

Ellinbank were able to stop the rot with a flying shot from the pack.

While Pugh proved beneficiary of a double 50-metre penalty, the sting had gone out of the contest as the Eagles finished with a comfortable victory.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid

Catani 2.2.14
Neerim South 28.22.190

Neerim-Neerim South remain undefeated after easily accounting for Catani, 28-22 (190) to 2-3 (15).

Lachlan Bambridge and Chris Urie proved difficult to contain, booting 12 goals between them, as the Cats kicked away to a big score.

The Cats kept its opposition to just one behind to the final change, the Blues scoring consolation goals in the final quarter.

Nathan Bayne, Isaac Fuller, Bambridge, Matthew Edwards, Ben Fitzpatrick and Kody Wilson were the better players for the Cats.

Catani were best served by Riley McDonald, James Williams, Brett Williams, Nicholas Cullen, Casey Hamilton and Jack Hobson.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid

Buln Buln 28.17.185
Nilma Darnum 0.1.1

The Lyrebirds were particularly ruthless, conceding just one behind against a Nilma-Darnum side that had generated some good scoring opportunities in wintry conditions the week prior.

Buln Buln controlled the contest from the outset, booting seven goals in the first term and carried that on, adding six, seven and eight to finish with 28-17 (185).

Samuel Batson, Hayden Baker, Trent Baker, Lachlan Axford, Cameron McPhan and Jake Pierrehumbert led the way in the big win.

The better players for Nilma-Darnum were Sebastian Crowle, Nathan Campbell, Nick Carrigy, Jeremy Jarred, Kenneth Towt and Blake Roberts.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid


Maffra 10.10.70
Drouin 9.5.59

The Eagles had to fight off a persistent Hawks outfit that proved hard to totally shake.

In the end though, Maffra did enough to win its fifth match for the season 10.10 (70) to 9.5 (59).

The victory keeps the Eagles hovering in sixth position on the ladder and in line to knock out an opponent above.

An even first quarter set the tone for the rest of the game at Maffra Recreation Reserve.

Drouin took a narrow four-point lead early in the piece before the Eagles got up and running.

On the scoreboard at least the second quarter proved to be where the game was won and lost. Maffra added five goals to establish a 15-point lead, which appeared to be a manageable margin to work around for the rest of the game.

The Hawks however enjoyed a dominant third term, and kicked three goals while also keeping Maffra goalless.

Just one point was the difference at the final change of ends, but the Eagles finished the better of the two, scoring three goals to one to secure victory.

Danny Butcher was best for Maffra. Others to play well were Lachlan Channing, Dylan Alexander, Kade Renooy, Tom Thatcher and Hudson Holmes.

Best for Drouin were Jarrod Marshall, Aden Quirk, Kyle Quirk, Joseph Collins, Charlie Wans and Seth Calway.

Mitch Bennett kicked two goals in his 100th match for Maffra, and shared the goals with partner in crime Daniel Bedggood who scored twice and Tom Jolly who scored thrice.

Match review via Gippsland Times / Latrobe Valley Express, written by Liam Durkin.

Morwell 12.18.90
Bairnsdale 12.13.85

The Tigers defeated Bairnsdale in a hard-fought tussle, getting up by five points at home.

Morwell had to dig deep, trailing at every change, but were ahead when it mattered most, with the final scoreboard reading 12.18 (90) to 12.13 (85).

Cody Macdonald had the ball on a string for the Tigers, collecting 37 touches and best on ground honours. Tristen Waack continued his terrific season of development, as did Nathan Noblett, while experienced campaigners Boyd Bailey, Tyler Brown and Dun Musial were prolific.

Byron and Kieran Vickery were best for Bairnsdale.

Others to play well for the Redlegs were Liam Giove, Damon O’Connor, Andrew Nelson and Daniel Preston.

Match review via Gippsland Times / Latrobe Valley Express, written by Liam Durkin.

Sale 13.11.89
Wonthaggi 14.6.90
A match review of this game can be read via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Traralgon 11.8.74
Leongatha 12.5.77
Leongatha withstood a stern test from Traralgon, prevailing by three points after the Maroons led late in the final term.
Scarcely had the Parrots edged back in front, courtesy of a Tom Crocker set shot goal, Traralgon drove the footy into attack applying fierce pressure to Leongatha’s backline.
It was up to the challenge, but there were some nerve-wracking moments before the siren rang out to preserve Leongatha’s unbeaten run this season.
Leongatha coach Trent McMicking was delighted to get the win, commending his team for playing for each other, while paying credit to Traralgon.
“It was brutal, physical and skilful and was a high-standard top-of-the-table contest between two sides that were giving everything,” McMicking said.
Parrot Josh Hopkins suffered a broken hand, Tom Marriott required a number of stitches in his forehead, and Crocker hurt his arm, while Traralgon’s Matthew Northe sustained a leg injury.
The Parrots were under siege for much of the last term, having already withstood a menacing Traralgon charge during the third quarter. Leongatha managed to work its way to a 21-point advantage at the final change, but Traralgon wasn’t discouraged, throwing everything at the Parrots in the run home.
Traralgon’s competitiveness was built on tremendous and disciplined defence. The Maroons backline players were cool under pressure and continued to clear the footy from hazardous positions with well measured passes.
Traralgon was often able to withstand Leongatha’s forward thrusts then mount attacks of its own, with the Maroons’ dangerous forward line making life challenging for Leongatha’s backline. Dylan Loprese, Jake Best and Harvey Howe were all imposing forward options for the Maroons.
After a competitive first quarter, won narrowly by Traralgon, Leongatha threatened to run away with the game during the second term as the Parrots took charge at stoppages. Ben Willis engineered that with terrific ruckwork, but Traralgon lifted and went into half time with momentum after a late set shot major cut the Parrots’ lead to 17 points.
Willis’ contribution throughout the day was immense and included important defensive marks. He and Justin Pellicano worked hard in the ruck against Traralgon stars Howe and David Brinker-Ritchie, the latter returning from VFL duties with Box Hill after being a standout performer against Port Melbourne the previous week.
Steve Forrester played a solid game in the backline, helping the Parrots prevail in a finals-like contest in which goals were hard-earned, with Travis Nash a prevalent defender throughout the day.
“Steve Forrester’s last quarter pretty much saved the game,” McMicking said, mentioning a crucial tackle and a couple of vital intercept marks.
Leongatha was able to cover the absence of Jackson Harry, Matt Willcocks and Cade Maskell from its backline. Marriott and Aaron Heppell played crucial onball roles, with both having a positive impact on the scoreboard with a couple of goals each, but also dropping back to take important defensive marks. However, fellow ball magnet Cameron Stone was named the winner’s best player. The elusive Crocker finished with three goals for the Parrots in just his third senior game for the season, with his arm which was numb for much of the last quarter having improved by Sunday.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Warragul 10.6.66
Moe 8.17.65
A match review of this game can be read via Warragul Drouin Gazette here.


Boolarra 7.13.55
Tarwin 5.11.41

There had already been a number of games in which it was conceivable to believe Tarwin would suffer their first defeat of the season.

The Sharks had already faced contenders such as Hill End, Yinnar and Foster, and on all occasions proved too strong.

Boolarra was next in line, coming off a rare loss. The Demons bounced back in a big way, defeating the previously undefeated Sharks, 7.13-55 to 5.11-41.

“The game started with some real heat and there was pressure at every contest and both sides were not backing down,” Boolarra coach Tony Giardina said. “In the second, the boys started to get on top. Only bad kicking for goal stopped us from putting some separation between us. Second half was much the same, with both sides putting everything on the line. It was a great finals-like game.”

The win puts Boolara within half a game of second spot and the loss for Tarwin has the Sharks still on top but with pressure now building.

“It was hard to put into words, we just didn’t show up in the first half as our effort wasn’t there,” Tarwin coach Troy Hemming said. “The boys have been good all year, so it was a bit different to see them not have the normal spirit. We gave it a real crack in the last quarter but couldn’t hit the scoreboard.”

“We need to have a good look at the whole picture and see where we went wrong,” he added.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone

Foster 18.10.118
Toora 7.7.49

It turned out to be one-way traffic, home side Foster cruising to a 69-point win over Toora, 18.10-118 to 7.7-49.

“Toora really pressured us and made us panic and, at times, we lacked composure,” Foster coach Sam Davies said. “We are definitely taking all the wins we can get and are really appreciating the contests and giving opportunities to players with the constant changes each week.”

Although a win still avoids the Magpies, no one is ready to throw in the towel just yet.

“Conditions held up, but the ground was very soft underfoot and the Foster players just ran over us in the second quarter, and they kept that lead for the rest of the day,” Toora coach Matt Ponton reflected. “Everything we did looked hard for us and they scored goals with ease going forward.”

Morwell East 11.14.80
Mirboo North 6.5.41
Mirboo North’s faltering 2022 season hit another roadblock, when it stumbled to a 39-point defeat against Morwell East at Ronald Reserve, Morwell East on Saturday.
As the contest progressed, the Hawks frustrated their opponents by employing a game plan of radical simplifications, the productivity from which brought much satisfaction for their exponents.
The mighty Tigers are currently ninth on the MGFNL ladder with just three wins from 10 games and their fears of missing finals for the first time since 2002, are realistic.
Mirboo North wore black armbands in memory of its former 1981-83 senior playing coach, Buck Moncur, following his recent passing.
Under Buck’s outstanding leadership qualifications that combined academic intelligence with smart football thinking, Mirboo North’s players always walked tall, ran hard, tackled ferociously and refused to take a backward step.
Already without several senior premiership stars through injury, the Tigers were further weakened by having to replace multipurpose playmakers, Liam Nash and Joel Lambourn for their clash against the Hawks.
The action began in lovely 16c sunshine on a firm, well-grassed surface where fundamental mistakes were exposed and the corridor became the fast lane to Morwell East’s victory.
With Joe Brooks, Ben Campbell, playing coach Josh Taylor, Hudson Kerr, Harrison Mahoney, Rhys Kratzat and talented teenager Jesse Chila taking everything up to the Hawks, Mirboo North was able to stay in touch on the scoreboard for most of the first half.
Included in Mirboo North’s second-term scoring of 1.2, was Chila’s first goal in his third game of senior footy.
Soon after, however, the dominance of Patrick Carte, Eric Semmler, Isaac Abas, Lucas Towns and Frank Marks kicked in and when Morwell East booted its fifth goal, Mirboo North trailed by 13 points at the long break.
Mirboo North’s brains trust knew there were a number of pressing issues for the Tigers that needed addressing — not the least of which involved restricting the Hawks’ clean and crisp ball handling and lessening their craftiness to create the loose man.
After three minutes of the third term, Rob Michaelides secured the Hawks’ sixth major from a tightly-angled boundary line set shot, that was followed by seven consecutive misses from medium range.
The Tigers’ defenders were under siege, as most attempts to move the Sherrin out of the back 50 failed, and a barrage of Morwell East sorties repeatedly returned from whence they came.
Not only were the Hawks stronger in the packs, they also looked smarter around them and apart from their shoddy goal kicking attempts, Morwell East was controlling proceedings with an almost hypnotic power.
Eventually, the Hawks’ seventh goal sailed through the big white sticks that gave the home side a match-winning 31-point advantage at the last change.
But for Jacob Blair, Julian Blackford, Taj Wilkins and Beau Peters teaming superbly on the last line, to turn back many of Morwell East’s advances, the Hawks’ lead would have been much higher.
A long Mirboo North goal on the burst from Campbell after 30 seconds of the final quarter, showed the visitors weren’t going down without a fight.
But then, the Hawks put the pedal to the metal and after three majors in seven minutes, they were 43 points in front and the Tigers’ fate was sealed.
A snap by Jordan Cummaudo in the goal square, complete with a brilliant 180 spin, registered Mirboo North’s fifth goal, before Marks quickly replied for Morwell East’s last major of the day.
Finally, Ben Leach let fly from outside 50 and Mirboo North’s sixth goal bounced through end on end, to end an afternoon where the defiant Tigers fought the game out with honorable endeavor.
Match review via multiple publications, written by Rover
Stony Creek 16.8.104
Meeniyan Dumbalk United 8.5.53
It was a momentous day down at the racecourse, as the Lions faced their historic, long-standing rivals MDU for the first time in almost three years.
It looked to be a match poised to show some skill as both teams were similarly positioned on the ladder, coming off losses the previous round, wanting to show some fight for their seasons.
From the first bounce, the game flowed freely between the arcs, with the tussle in the midfield early on. Meeniyan opened their account early, with a kick between the big sticks, however, it was the Creek who had the better of play, with a quick response and a follow up later in the quarter.
Big ruckman Mitch Nicholas slotted one and Rhys Dixon opened his account for the day mid-way through the term. An injury halted play with seconds left on the clock, as the teams went to quarter time with Stony Creek 9-points up.
The Lions looked to put the pressure on early, kicking their first for the quarter within the opening seconds. The roar from the supporters pushed the spirits of the hosts and seemed to turn up the level of the competitiveness of both teams, the defensive tackling pressure going to extreme levels.
The second term saw plenty of turn overs as both teams tried to stamp of control over the other. MDU’s Tom Corry looked to keep the spirits of the visitors alive, kicking two goals in quick succession, ending up with three for himself on the day. As the half ended, both teams headed back up the track, with the Creek only 10 points ahead.
The third quarter began like each of the others, with the Creek’s big inclusion Kael Bergles, showing his muscle in the first 5 minutes, kicking two of his three for the day. However, the Demons were not going to just roll over, responding quickly to both of Bergles’ goals. Tensions started to flair, with a free kick awarded to Stony’s Darcy Atkins, for a scuffle in the centre square. With pressure between the arcs high, the ball was moving between the 50’s with speed, however, the Creek were beginning to show a bit more class and level-headedness with it, able to pull out to a 22-point lead at the last change.
The hosts saved their best until the last, showing some spirit that would have brought a smile to many an old Lion’s face. The Lions came away 51-point victors.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Thorpdale 8.12.60
Fish Creek 13.11.89

A pre-season pick as a top four side, Fish Creek’s fortunes have been diabolical for most of 2022.

The Kangaroos, hit by COVID, injuries and therefore limited player availability, have coughed and spluttered their way through most of the year, never really able to fire in the way in which they had planned.

Travelling to take on Thorpdale on the Blues’ home deck, it was time to jump back on the winners’ list again. Their 13.11-89 to 8.12-60 win was enough to please their coach John Danckert.

“Every week poses a challenge, the competition is so even, which is fantastic,” Danckert said. “We played well in parts. Thorpdale are a really proud club, we knew that, and they came at us time and time again. We were lucky enough to get the win.”

Thorpdale did what they do. They were good in parts, but still need time and patience to be better for longer. The line between average and good enough is not that far apart.

“The boys put in all game, some really good patches that saw us dominate the play but lacking some polish that doesn’t see us getting the full reward for effort,” Thorpdale coach Ray Pickering said. “But some really good positives to take forward.”

At season start, followers might not have thought Thorpdale could steal a win from Mirboo North on the Tigers’ home ground. But this week the Blues will get that chance to be rewarded for their effort.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone

Yinnar 8.10.58
Hill End 13.6.84

It was a bit of a stretch to remember the last time Hill End had been confronted with the possibility of losing two games in a row. Good sides just don’t do that, and there has been no question the Hill men have been a very good side.

This clash, however, was a real test for both teams. For the Rovers, because another loss would put their hopes of a top two finish under pressure. For Yinnar, because on paper at least, this looked to be their toughest task in more than a month.

Under that pressure, the Magpies fell short and now find themselves back in the pack of teams fighting for a finals spot after losing 8.1058 to the Rovers’ 13.6-84.

“We were completely outplayed and outworked in the first half by a better team on the day,” Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said. “We couldn’t get any pressure on the ball carrier and, when you have a quality tall up front like they did in (Luke) Mulqueen, it makes it pretty hard to defend.

“We showed a bit of fight in the third quarter but we couldn’t bridge the gap on the scoreboard. To put it simply, we were not good enough for long enough, which was disappointing.”

Hill End should be commended on their impressive bounce back from a confidence breaking defeat to Tarwin just a week earlier.

Rovers coach Mike Santo reflected it was a physical game against a very good teams, with a few spot fires adding to the feeling in the game.

“It was a must win for us, and we came out accordingly, playing the best footy we have all year,” Santo said. “Our effort was much better and our ball use was terrific.”

“Yinnar were better in the second half, but we had already established control of the game. For us Mulqueen, (Tyler) Pratt and the Fawcett brothers (Aaron and Dane) were instrumental in our win.”

So top two is back on the agenda for Hill End now, a crucial step in positioning oneself for a finals tilt in a year where any one of seven, maybe even eight, teams have a legitimate case.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone


All match reviews are via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree. They can be viewed in full online here.
Yallourn Yallourn North 19.10.124
Sale City 8.7.55

At the top end of town it was a case of business as usual with Yallourn Yallourn North taking the wind right out of Sale City’s sails, so to speak.

After an upset win over Traralgon Tyers United pre-bye and the inclusion of boom recruit Billy Quirk, the fifth-placed Bulldogs headed to the home of the Jets considered a sneaky chance of an upset.

If the flicker of hope wasn’t dashed by the first break it was virtually impossible to detect at the main break with the Jets leading 9.6 (60) to 5.4 (34).

Another two quarters of dominance saw the ladder leaders crush the tri-colours by the best part of a dozen goals, winning 19.10 (124) to 8.7 (55).

For the runners-up, Dr Sam Davidson was in everything and slotted three majors in a lone hand up front.

For the victors it was all about D-Mac (Dean MacDonald). One of the league’s most intimidating forwards rammed home nine majors in a best on ground performance.

Joining him in the Jets’ best players list was recruit Allan Norris.

Prior to Norris’ arrival at YYN it was widely agreed their Achilles heel may be the lack of a ruckman.

No longer the case it seems with the big fella acquitting himself very well and shaping up as the difference for the Jets who continue to march on to September from atop the league ladder.

Darcy Shellcot, Dylan Bath, James De Virgillio and Lachlan Little also played well for YYN.

The day was a poignant one for the Jets, who held a minute silence for club great Jeff ‘Rattle’ Nash, who died earlier in the week.

Nash played 288 games for YYN between 1985 and 2008, winning three premierships with the club.

Traralgon Tyers United 9.13.67
Heyfield 8.5.53

Bouncing back from their most recent outing, a defeat by Sale City, an inaccurate Traralgon Tyers United did enough to keep the resurgent Heyfield at bay.

The return of Jack Brown was timely for TTU as he managed to stem the flow of goals from James Beha, while best on deck Michael Jacobsen found himself in everything through the middle.

Brad Kelleher managed three majors and the ever reliable Jye Neilson again slotted into the Bombers’ best players list in a 9.14 (68) to 8.5 (53) victory.

For Heyfield, Jesse Bedggood continued on his recent way contributing four of the Kangaroos eight goals.

After working so hard to get back to level pegging at the long change, Heyfield just couldn’t muster the effort to get passed a desperate Bombers outfit who remain in touch with the top three as a result of their 15-point win.

Churchill 9.10.64
Rosedale 8.14.62

Rosedale kicked themselves out of fifth spot, going down to Churchill by two points.

The teams were locked at 42-apiece at the final change. This despite Rosedale having had six more scoring shots.

With both sides managing three majors in the last it was the extra two behinds the home side kicked in that made all the difference as the Cougars won 9.10 (64) to 8.14 (62).

Ryan ‘Chompers’ Lowrie kicked three for the winners with the ageless Brendan Holt timing his return to the senior line-up perfectly, booting four and being the difference between the sides. Chris Williams was best on for Churchill while Riley Atlee was named best for Rosedale.

Rosedale’s Tom Northe was again among the goals, slotting four, to go with the five he kicked a couple of weeks ago. Sides will be starting to zero in on him in the coming months.

With Rosedale gun forward Brad Scott kept off the scoresheet it was left to Frazar Brouns to join Northe on the goal kickers list. Brouns too slotted four to combine with Northe for the Blues eight goals for the day.

Cowwarr 6.4.40
Yarram 21.18.144

Yarram were comprehensive 104-point winners over Cowwarr.

Yarram were rarely challenged. They lead by 25 points at the first break. They then extended their lead to 51 points at half time and by three-quarter time, the deficit had blown out to 88 points.

Boadie Motton and Griffin Underwood lead the onslaught for the Demons, with Dan Vardy the best of the Yarram goalkickers with 4.

Ben Coffey, Brady Hood and Matt Bourke fought for their side admirably, with Robert Ferguson the only multiple goal kicker for the Saints.

Gormandale 12.4.76
Glengarry 16.15.111

A blockbuster crowd was treated to one of the best ninth versus 10th games of football played in country Victoria at Gormandale on Saturday in the North Gippsland Football-Netball League.

The home side Tigers rightfully had all the headlines in the lead-up to the match, with AFL superstar Jarryd Roughead taking to the field.

But it was the travelling Glengarry side that notched up their second win for the season, and in doing so, sent a warning of bigger and better things to come for the Magpies.

A young Glengarry, featuring 12 players aged 22 or under, prevailed in a cracking contest by thirty-five points, 16.15 (111) to 12.4 (76).

While the youngsters like Tom Harris, Jack Burgess and Seth Healy were terrific, it was Reagan McDonald who really stood out as the king of the kids for the Magpies.

His three goals complimented some excellent work all over the field.

Not to be left behind, the Glengarry elder statesmen too held their own.

Jackson Hall was in everything and must have had close to 50 possessions, while down back Alex Bermingham and Andrew May, played the dual roles of defender in chief and attacking weapon.

The only time Gormandale looked to get on top was when Jarryd Garlick, the pick of the Jarryd’s on the day in fact, joined his namesake deep in the forward 50.

When these two titans split the Glengarry team defence, goals came at a rate of knots and when Garlick slotted his fourth in the third term to get the home side within two goals, hopes of a local win surged.

Garlick’s foray forward coincided with David Purves making Hall accountable in the middle and all of a sudden the midfield dominance the Magpies had enjoyed was nowhere to be seen.

And when Blake Hughes asserted himself on the contest and found Roughead 30 metres out directly in front it was expected the Tigers would be within a straight kick.

And this would set-up the final term all those in attendance had hoped for. Alas, Roughead went wide with his shot.

The resultant kick in saw McDonald on the end of a coast-to-coast passage of play.

The young fella in the blue boots dribble kicked truly and order was restored.

As if that wasn’t enough, Zac Bezzina followed up with his first of the day and the Glengarry went into the final break with a lead of 26 points, which most in attendance considered almost safe.

With Garlick injured after being accidentally tunnelled in a marking contest and Roughead thrown into the middle to start the last term, it was last roll of the dice stuff for Gormandale.

After 14 minutes Dylan Piening slotted a goal and the home side was entering in Lloyd Christmas areas – so you are saying there is a chance?

No, was the clear reply from those in black and white.

One hundred gamer Michael Ryan goaled and then Trav Patten kicked goals four and five for the day to see the game done with around 10 minutes left to play.

Gormandale tried hard, and would do well to keep the weapon that is Braedon McLean on the field every week, but ultimately the better side prevailed.

The real question now for Glengarry is what is their ceiling? The kids are good, real good.

The older guys can all still play and match day withdrawal Jay Neagle looks to make them only a stronger line-up upon his return.

For Gormandale, they will look back on a great day for them as a club.

A day they didn’t get the win, but a day they should be immensely proud of from the one-two combo of president and secretary ‘Early’ (Daniel Earl) and ‘Jewlz’ (Julie Currie), right down to the last member on their list.


Boisdale-Briaglong 19.15.129
Lindenow 11.13.79
They have a knack of always making things interesting at Boisdale-Briagolong.
Whether it is winning every game after Christmas to scrap into finals and then take out a cricket premiership, or in this case, rolling the second-top team by 44-points, the Bombers just find a way to regain attention when all hope seems lost. With only two wins to their name at the halfway mark of the season, Boisdale-Briagolong went into the break faced with a challenging task. Not totally out of finals contention, but still two wins away from the to four, the Bombers needed to take a scalp to catapult itself back into the picture. Boisdale-Briagolong did exactly that on the weekend, defeating Lindenow 19.15 (129) to 11.13 (79).
The Bombers kicked five goals in the opening term to start full of running at home. From there it was more of the same, and the scoreboard showed a 43-point lead to the advantage of Boisdale-Briagolong as teams went into the sheds. Not one to rest on their laurels, the Bombers added another five goals in the third quarter, while the Cats managed just two. With the game beyond all reasonable doubt at the last change, Boisdale-Briagolong then took its total well past the 100 mark when the final siren sounded.
A high-scoring final quarter gave spectators plenty of attacking football to be entertained by, as 12 goals were kicked all up. Lindenow ran the game out well, slamming home seven goals in the last quarter, but Boisdale-Briagolong could have perhaps been forgiven for leaking a few goals given how much both teams attacked in the final term. While some might look at the last quarter and say the Bombers took their foot off the pedal, they still kicked five goals. If you are only getting outscored by two goals in a quarter of football it is never too much cause for concern.
Cal Egan kicked three majors for the winners in his 100th match, and was well supported by Billy Marshall, Kel Porter, Rhys Johnson and Byron Sandeman. Matt Wilkinson provided a strong target inside 50, and finished the day with eight goals, taking his season total to 24. Best for Lindenow was Justin Gould, Josh Lando, Norm Barry, Todd Alexander, Cooper Shaw and Will Blackley.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin
Paynesville 4.8.32
Lucknow 11.17.83
Lucknow outclassed a disappointing Paynesville, which has struggled over the past three weeks, only banking four points for a victory over OSR in that time. Chris Hammond, Jack Saulle, Joshua Carroll, Jesse Glassborow, Jackson Smith (four goals) and Dallas Smith were all instrumental in the win for the Pies. James Farquhar, Jordan Dadswell, Scott Joustra, Caleb Marsh and David Ashworth were all solid contributors for the Gulls.
Match review via the Bairnsdale Advertiser
Wy Yung 12.7.79
Stratford 10.7.67
Wy Yung and Stratford engaged in an arm wrestle at Tigerland with the Tigers dominating the second quarter and establishing a 21-point half time break, the Swans brave in the third quarter, narrowing the margin to a couple of goals, but that was as close as they got. The regular Tiger goalkickers were to the fore. Harry Kellow bagging three, with Aaron Hanuera, Luke Elia and Brad Daniel chipping in for two.
Young Tom Stephenson was best afield, ably assisted by Jock Overend, Daniel Perrin and Mitch Dewar. Reggie Tait was again outstanding for the Swans, midfielders Ben Charming and Jack Bacon were busy with Tim Hawkins kicking four goals.
Match review via the Bairnsdale Advertiser
Lakes Entrance vs Orbost-Snowy Rovers – abandoned
The clash between Lakes Entrance and OSR was halted after the high flying Blues defender Jessie Pescod suffered at the time what appeared to be a potentially serious spinal injury.
Lakes Entrance forward Jarred Matthews and Pescod collided in a marking contest, both players committed to the ball, the momentum throwing Pescod into an ungainly spin, causing the defender to land awkwardly on his back. Play was halted shortly after with immediate concerns that Pescod had suffered a suspected spinal injury.
Club trainers immediately called Ambulance Victoria and received advice not to move Mr Pescod before further assessment. A large crowd looked on as trainers made Pescod comfortable, stabilising any potential injury while waiting for medical assistance to arrive.
Orbost Snowy Rovers Football Netball Club president Royston Nettleton, was one of the supporters who looked on helplessly as the crowd waited for an ambulance.
“We always fear the worst when it’s back, neck and spinal-related, so everyone was in a bit of shock,” Nettleton said.
“I suppose we think the worst but hope for the best,” Nettleton added.
The game was at first suspended, and then cancelled after it became clear an ambulance would not be arriving soon. Ambulance Victoria staff called trainers back half an hour after the first call to try to assess Pescod’s injury over the phone. A mobile intensive care ambulance (MICA) arrived and helped move Mr Pescod inside the clubrooms to wait for an ambulance. Eventually Pescod was transported to hospital, where he was cleared of any serious injury. Both teams were awarded two points.
Match review via the Bairnsdale Advertiser


All Match reviews via the Bairnsdale Advertiser

Bruthen 3.6.24
Swifts Creek 23.21.159
Swifts Creek returned to the winner list after three consecutive losses, with a percentage boosting win over Bruthen by 135 points.
Harold Hood (six goals). Jamie Crellin (four) and Robert Crellin (three goals) were in everything up forward. Tom King was again unstoppable across halfback, with Jesse Hack, Che Davies and Beau Hack ensuring plentiful for Hood, Barton and Crellin.
Will Matthews and Ray Giddings tried hard for the Bulldogs all day, with Grattan Mullet also impressive in his first game for the season.
Omeo Benambra 9.9.63
Lindenow South 8.16.64
Unbeaten Lindenow South scored a dramatic come-from-behind win over second placed Omeo Benambra, with Swampies coach Nathan Pollard instrumental with some last quarter heroics.
In a match that could have gone either way, many in attendance thinking the Alpine Ranges were a bit stiff to lose, the Swampies found a way to get the job done.
In an even first term, the Swampies had plenty of the football but were ineffective going forward and wasteful in front of goal. Dale Overall kicked the first for the Alpine Ranges but promising forward Seth Smith squared the game shortly after for the Swampies. Omeo Benambra was more measured and patient when it attacked, great build ups late in quarter resulting in goals to veteran David Paech and Noah Wills. The Alpine Ranges led by 11 point at quarter time.
The second quarter saw the match go up a notch with the ball moving quickly from defence to attack by both sides. Brent Hartnell was doing a great job across half back for the Alpine Ranges. with Pollard instrumental in mounting many attacks which began as a result of an outstanding defensive effort across half back. Lindenow South moved Sam Howden into the middle to take advantage of his precision kicking into the forward 50, which had immediate impact. but the forwards were struggling to convert.
Jai Hayward and Cody Graske were getting plenty of the football for the Alpine Ranges in a match that was becoming an am wrestle. Swampies youngster Zac O’Keefe was impressing everyone with his pace, poise and class, and his ability to finish, which saw him kick the first of the quarter. Pollard and Brandon Betts clashed in the middle of the ground at the next stoppage, the Lindenow South playmaker kicking a goal after copping one high and getting a 100 metre penalty. Jai Hayward kicked a great goal from 60 metres just on halftime to put the Alpine Ranges back within a point at half time.
Key Swampies defender Daniel Howe was enjoying a close checking role on dangerous onballer Aidan Haywood, and finished his good work with great goal to start to the second half.
Paech was looking dangerous and lively up for forward for the Alpine Ranges kicking his second after playing on from a set shot. Jamie Donnelly answered shortly after for the Swampies and it was game on. Omeo Benambra finished the quarter better with goals to Brandon Betts and Paech, his third goal his final kick for the day, limping from the ground slowly with a leg injury.
Omeo Benambra began the last quarter with a five-point lead, but the busy Howden, who racked up 39 possessions for the day, put the Swampies in from early in the quarter. It was then the Alpine Ranges shone, looking the goods with quick goals to Evan Jones, who had done some nice things in the ruck, and Flynn Farrar, seeing the lead out 10 points.
Enter Pollard, who had been busy all day (35 possessions) working in unity with Howden, and although most of his possessions were around the centre, he willed himself forward when others were beginning to tier, kicking two goals from set shot from outside 40 metres to wrestle back the lead.
Omeo Benambra wasn’t to be denied launching one last assault. Jai Hayward had a shot from 50 metres that looked set to go through for a goal only for experienced backman Mel Irish to read the ball perfectly and get back on the line to touch it with an outstretched jump and keep the Swampies in front when the siren sounded.
Lindenow South assistant coach. Simon Williams was happy to get over the line but not overly impressed with some of the skill execution.
“It was a win – a close win, but not a good win. It will hold us in good stead going forward, certainly wasn’t our best game this season.” Williams said.
“I was really disappointed in our skill execution, the pivotal point of the game, our field kicking was very poor, we missed targets all day by significant distances, some of the worst I’ve seen since being at the club. Certainly room for improvement.” Williams was high in his praise of the mercurial Pollard.
“His last quarter efforts were unbelievable. He stood up when it was needed – he willed himself on to win that game.” he said.
Swan Reach 18.11.119
Buchan 6.8.44

Swan Reach defeated Buchan by 75 points with the league’s leading goalkicker Brandon Scott back from injury and kicking eight goals to take his season’s tally to 54 from nine games.
Tom Buckley-Kohne contributed four goals for the Cavemen. Swan Reach was well served by Jesse Anthony, Scott, onballers Darcy Sumner, Will Cantrill and Joel Waters.
Better players for Buchan were Kane Sparkes, Buckley-Kohne and Will Capes.



Warragul Industrials 7.12.54
Karingal 2.1.13

BEST: Matilda Van Berkel, Jess Szalek, Chloe Bailey, Samara Beaton, Alicia Clerks, Amelia Sim

GOALS: Matilda Van Berkel 3, Sarah Burns Amy Heath Carlee Maher Jenna Robertson 1.

Bass Coast Breakers vs Devon Meadows – postponed


Lang Lang 9.10.64
Hastings 4.3.27

BEST: Ebony Whitworth, Private player, Nicole Cicciari, Kelly Cerra, Sunday Denny, Hayley Heffernan

GOALS: Kelly Cerra 2, Chloe Lenders Brodie Miller Hayley Dyer Hayley Heffernan Cait van Dord 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team 10.18.78
Fountain Gate 1.2.8

BEST: Rachael Pendlebury, Sophie Johnston, Britt Kilner, Sarah Lorkin, Rachelle O’Connor, Katie Laycock

GOALS: Rachelle O’Connor Rachael Pendlebury 2, Elly Brown Hayley De Graaf Sophie Johnston Britt Kilner Katie Laycock Tayla Lochki 1.


Foster 0.1.1
Moe-Newborough 18.8.116

Foster: Lois Rodger, Bonnie-Rose Waters, Chantelle Waters, Rachael Francis, Ella Carr, Katie Jones
Moe-Newborough: Izabella Rosato, Lara Downey, Jade Abbott, Brittney Hecker, Lisa Whiteside, Clair Downey

Foster: NA
Moe-Newborough: Nikia Webber 4, Charli Abbott Brittney Hecker 3, Lara Downey Sandra Fenton Lisa Whiteside 2, Jade Abbott Danielle Davies 1.

BYE: Lindenow South

Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: