Bunyip 6.4.40
Tooradin Dalmore 15.9.99

Tooradin-Dalmore has stretched its shoulders ahead of this week’s massive game against Phillip Island with a commanding 15.9(99) to 6.5(41) victory over Bunyip.

The Bulldogs did well to restrict the Seagulls for three of the four quarters, but Lachie Gillespie’s men showed their class with a clinical dissection of the Doggies in the second term.

Trailing by a point at quarter time, the Seagulls turned up the pressure gauge – slamming home 6.2 for the quarter while holding the Dogs to no score.

Their 37-point lead extended to 52 at the final break and the damage had been done.

Excitement-machine Brad Butler kicked three for the Gulls, who spread the load beautifully, with Julian Suarez, Dylan Wilson and Piva Wright all chiming in with two each.

The Seagulls had nine goal-kickers – a figure they might need to reach again to get over a different breed of Dogs this weekend.

Young guns Lewis Hill, James Trezise and Cooper Shipp were outstanding for the winners, while the experienced Matt Livermore orchestrated things around stoppage.

Bunyip coach Tim McGibney will be happy with his team’s start, but disappointed that they fell away quickly – for the second time in three weeks – against class opposition.

Jeb McLeod and ruckman Duncan proud booted two each for the Dogs, while Aaron Paxton and Matt O’Halloran did well to restrict the damage in defence.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Dalyston 10.6.66
Warragul Industrials 15.12.102

Warragul Industrials have navigated a serious scare from Dalyston as they used a powerful final term to escape with the four points.

The Dusties were certainly made to work for the win, the lowly Magpies seriously pushing them for most of the game before Warragul found another gear to win 15.12 (102) to 10.6 (66).

Mason McGarrity was his normal reliable self up forward, booting four goals, while at the other end Dalyston finally found a consistent scoring target thanks to Mason Storr, who kicked four of his own.

On paper this game seemed like it should have been a simple win for the Dusties given the recent history of their opponents, but Dalyston were obviously intent on making things much more difficult than anticipated.

Neither side was able to break away from the other for much of it. The Magpies led by four at quarter time, before the Dusties struck back with a five goal to three second term to take a seven-point break into half time.

Where in other games Dalyston would have wilted at this point, the home side clearly smelled a potential upset, kicking three goals to two in the third term to trail by just three points at the final change of ends.

In the end though, as good sides do, Warragul stepped up when challenged, their contested ball prowess shining through in the last quarter as they kicked 6.4 to 1.1 to run away with the match.

Kyle Staples and Anthony Bruhn did a power of work for the Dusties, particularly in their late run, as they overpowered the Magpies and reclaimed their spot in the top five.

The Dusties will now meet Koo wee rup at home which will provide a good opportunity to both put some distance between them and the Demons on the ladder and tighten their grip on fifth position.

The Dusties’ top players were Kyle Staples, Anthony Bruhn, Mason McGarrity, Matthew Herbert, Kyle Beveridge and Michael Ablett.

Mason Storr, Michael Marotta, Curtis Murfett, Michael Harris, Louis Armstrong and Hayden Wallis were the better players for Dalyston.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Garfield 5.6.36
Cora Lynn 15.11.101

Cora Lynn continued their resurgence as they became the latest team to hand Garfield yet another thumping defeat.

Star full forward Nathan Gardiner was well and truly back to his best, kicking nine goals as the Cobras won 15.11 (106) to 5.6 (36).

A relatively slow start from both sides saw the early goings descend into a heavily congested, high tackling slog, with just one goal kicked in the first term Cora Lynn’s way.

The second term saw the game open up, allowing the Cobras to put on four more goals, though the Stars kicked three of their own to make the match relatively competitive.

Jonathan Sauze may have kicked just the one goal for the home side but was consistently their most damaging player, though Garfield’s inability to take their chances was once again a weakness.

After half time the Cobras had clearly clicked into gear, kicking 10 goals to five in the second half to run away with their third win in a row, now looking a completely different team to the one that started the year with five straight losses.

With Gardiner now in full flight taking contested marks like it’s no issue, playing Cora Lynn is suddenly a much more dangerous prospect for opposition sides, and they will surely fancy their chances of a potential late finals charge in the second half of the season.

For Garfield, the season has become a very long and very difficult one, and it is becoming harder to see just where their first win might come from.

Cora Lynn’s best were Nathan Gardiner, Dillan Bass, Matthew Ryan, Robert Hill, Timothy Payne and Lynden Banting.

Jonathan Sauze, Lachlan Sauze, Jonty Bow, Zac Soutar, Zach Dalton and Kurtis Harper all played well for Garfield.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Inverloch-Kongwak 18.16.124
Kilcunda Bass 4.8.32
A match review of this game can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Nar Nar Goon 10.8.68
Phillip Island 15.11.101
After a sprinkling of Friday rain, Saturday presented as clear and fine much to relief of the Bulldog faithful as the trek to Nar Nar Goon began. With the Bulldogs generally recovering from a stiff bout of flu and COVID cases in the preceding week, the sides were more settled.
The step-up in competition was clear from the opening bounce, with stiff competition and the ball moving across the ground in the near perfect conditions with lightning speed and precision.
After the obligatory tight opening, the Bulldogs settled better. With smooth footy and quick movement, a lead was quickly established with goals coming from the on-ball trio of Youle, Kimber and Pedersen – aided and abetted by the ever-reliable Eli Richards. Jack (Bison) Taylor started as he left off from last week in the first and was the fifth of the first quarter goalkickers.
A five-goal to one opening was to prove decisive to the overall outcome, with the boys from Nar Nar Goon playing catchup for the rest of the day. And catchup they played.
The second and third quarters showcased the skills of the game in this competition. The Nar Nar Goon boys – led by Aidan Pipicelli and Jake Smith – were relentless. Goal for goal, defence on defence, it was spectacular play as the ball moved from end-to-end with precision. Daniel Pearce – back this week for the Bulldogs – was outstanding throughout these tight quarters, leading the Bulldogs’ defence ably supported by Max Blake, Jesse Patullo and the Big G Officer.
The Taylor boys continued to combine sweetly, with notable contributions from Zak Vernon on ball, as well as wingers Kai MacKenzie and Matt Jones. The difference at three-quarter time was effectively the same as the first-quarter time break.
Both sides looked to be heavily figured at the three-quarter break, so it looked as though it would all come down to the fitness levels of each team.
It was the Bulldogs who were able to take the ascendency early in the last, with early goals to Cam Brown and Cam Pedersen putting the game beyond the reach of the Gooners. Nevertheless, they kept coming with strong defence and excellent ball movement to continue scoring – with Jake Smith, Dermott Yawney and Jeconiah Peni outstanding – and keep the Bulldogs
Cam Pedersen dominated the last quarter with a further goal to seal the deal and the Bulldogs were in front by 33 at the final siren.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Korumburra Bena 11.4.70
Koo Wee Rup 14.13.97

Kooweerup is becoming accustomed to winning games of football once again with the Demons securing their third victory in four starts with a 14.13.97 to 11.4.70 triumph over Korumburra-Bena on Saturday.

The 27-point margin looks comfortable in the end, but there were several moments where the Demons looked rather shaky against a firedup Giants outfit.

The first half was typified by intense pressure from both teams, with a combined 14 scoring shots showing how difficult it was to penetrate quickly at either end of the ground.

Giants’ Paul Fermanis and Alaster Bradley had two each on the board at the major break, while Nathan Voss had kicked two of the Demons four goals.

But whatever the two coaches – Leigh Cole and Rhys Nisbet – said to their players at half time certainly worked, with the third quarter clearly the most entertaining of the match.

Fermanis extended the Giants three-point half-time lead out to nine points after a strong mark and goal, which kick-started a goal-for goal battle in the first half of the third quarter.

A huge hit from Matt Voss on James Dunn, and a crunching tackle from Nathan Muratore showed the Demons meant business…but the Giants were up for the fight.

An answering goal from Jason Wells was soon replied by Bradley, before goals to Mitch Cammarano and Fermanis continued the goalfor-goal battle that saw the Giants lead by seven points at the 15-minute mark of the third term.

Kooweerup then dominated the next 15 minutes of play and would run away with the contest.

The Demons’ midfield got right on top, with Cosi Anagnostou, Muratore, Matt Voss, Luke McMaster, Cammarano and Bailey Galante getting plenty of the Sherrin, with Muratore in particular winning a handful of centre clearances for the quarter.

The Demons would soon kick five goals in 12 minutes, with two goals to Wells, two to McMaster, and a left-foot dribbler from Cammarano seeing the Demons take a 27-point lead to three-quarter time.

Nathan Voss then kicked an early goal in the last, before the Giants fired one last shot, closing to 23 points at the 16-minute mark of the final term.

But goals to Nathan Voss and McMaster would soon close the door on an absorbing and entertaining contest.

McMaster, Voss and Wells booted four each for the Demons, with Cammarano chiming in with two.

Fermanis was superb for the Giants, finishing the day with five, while Bradley’s three goals tested the Demons before their third-quarter onslaught began.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.


Neerim South 9.12.66
Trafalgar 5.2.32
A match review of this game can be viewed via Warragul Drouin Gazette here.
Lang Lang 6.9.45
Poowong 9.14.68
A match review of this game can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Yarragon 10.19.79
Longwarry 1.10.16

Yarragon put its vast improvement on show, taking control of the contest from quarter time to comfortably account for Longwarry.

The Panthers displayed superior pace and fitness as they held the Crows to 1-10 (16) for the afternoon.

And the home side could have enjoyed a better return than its 10-19 (79), had it been for some better kicking.

While taking some risks with kicks across goal at times, taking the game on with run and carry proved instrumental in the result to keep the Panthers in touch with the top five.

The Crows missed opportunities early in a tight first quarter before the Panthers made the most of their first attack, Tom Follett finding Mitch Jolly in space over the back for his first of five for the afternoon.

Cooper Brown showed he belonged at the level early with some composure to set up a Crows attack, before Seth Ashton found Jedd Serong in the pocket to take a one-point lead into the first change.

It would prove the only joy of the day for the visitors, who would only manage four behinds for the remainder of the day despite the best efforts of Fintan Fox, Ned Ashton, Hamish Busk, Ben Cuckson, Bailey Stephens and Jake Serong.

Jolly broke the deadlock from a set shot midway through the second term to begin a fivegoal flurry to take control of the contest.

With the likes of Tyler Payroli, Jake Bernard, Harrison Perry and Damien Allison driving the Panthers forward, the home side began to find its range, conversions from long range and set shots kicking them clear.

A turnover in defence proved costly for the Crows as the home side scored first after half time, Jolly finding himself on the end of another one over the top.

A clean pick up through traffic from Lachlan Shaw sent the ball deep to set up a snap on goal as the Panthers moved further ahead.

Fitness proved no issue for the Panthers as they finished full of running, returning 2-9 to no score in the final term for an impressive victory.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Buln Buln 28.18.186
Catani 4.1.25

Buln Buln bounced back following consecutive losses to record a strong win over Catani.

The Lyrebirds booted 10 goals to no score in the first term and were never headed.

While the Blues tightened the contest in the second term, adding two goals to three, the home side put the foot down in the second half to add some much-needed percentage.

Just percentage separates second-placed Trafalgar from fifth-placed Longwarry.

The Lyrebirds added seven goals in the third term and finished strongly with eight majors in the fourth as Tim Stoll stepped up to finish with seven goals.

Hayden Baker continued his role with four goals, while defender Sam Batson enjoyed an opportunity to score to also finish with four majors.

Trent Baker, Jake Pierrehumbert and Matthew Gray were also among the best.

Catani were best served by William Mcgindle, Brett Williams, Chris Power, Michael Ralph, Nathaniel Rodda and Lachlan Free.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Nilma Darnum 4.4.28
Ellinbank 41.13.259

The might of an Ellinbank side returning to full flight in its bid to quickly race back up the ladder proved overwhelming for the struggling Bombers.

Ellinbank were in control from the outset, killing the contest by quarter time with 14 goals to one.

The pain didn’t stop there with Mark Vassett filling his boots with 16 majors on the way to Ellinbank winning 41-13 (259) to 4-4 (28).

Ten Ellinbank players shared in the scoring with the third term particularly brutal, the visitors putting 18 goals over the goal umpires’ hat.

Such was the percentage boost the Bankers leapfrogged three teams into third place on the ladder. Its closer to where pundits would have expected them to be following their slow start to the season.

Joining Vassett in the better players were Zachery Holton, Liam Anderson, Daniel Pratt, Anthony Battista and Ryan Atherton.

Nathan Campbell, Munashe Munjoma, Nick Carrigy, Oxley Huson, Harley Lacunes and Korey Carrison battled away for the Bombers.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.


Leongatha 21.12.138
Moe 6.8.44
Hopes of a tight and entertaining top-of-the table clash were dashed, with Leongatha recording a thumping 94-point win over Moe in front of the Parrots’ home crowd.
While Leongatha was the better side from the outset, and for most of the game, the Lions were decimated by injury throughout, starting the final term with no remaining bench players.
The Parrots set up a solid platform for their win with a terrific opening term that won praise from coach Trent McMicking.
“It’s a 22-man effort and it’s absolutely fantastic,” he told his players at the first break, with Leongatha already 37 points up.
McMicking aptly described his side’s first quarter tackling and forward pressure as ‘elite’.
While the Parrots were easily the better team to that point, Moe had its moments, managing some impressive passages of play, but Leongatha’s defence ensured they came to little, with the Lions mustering just a couple of behinds for the stanza.
Leongatha’s dominance continued in the second quarter with the Parrots seizing a 62-point advantage by the long break. Josh Hopkins was impressive for the home side, with Tom Marriott also a major factor in establishing the Parrot’s first half dominance. Jack Hume was in the action early, booting a couple of goals in the first eight minutes of the match to set the positive tone for Leongatha. Justin Pellicano’s efforts in the ruck combined with his aggressive attack on footy and opponent showed Leongatha’s desire to win.
However, Moe displayed commendable fight in the third term, with Declan Keilty one of the Lions providing spark up forward. Moe lifted from the moment the quarter commenced and were in charge for much of it, but couldn’t land enough hits on the scoreboard to apply real pressure to Leongatha. While Leongatha slightly extended its half time lead by three quarter time, that was a poor reflection of the third term, with the Parrots slotting three time-on goals.
Although Moe kept trying in the final term, its inability to rotate players was taking its toll, with Leongatha capitalising with five goals to one. The Parrots were determined not to ease off in the final term after a calm but honest address from McMicking at the last change.
“It was pretty ordinary stuff,” McMicking said, while acknowledging his team still fared ok on the scoreboard.
Aaron Heppell was one of those leading the way for the victorious Parrots, not only creating plenty of opportunities for teammates with his tenacious and creative play but booting four goals. While Pellicano managed just one major, his confidence and ability to take on opponents helped bring teammates into the game. Young small forward Ned Hanily again impressed for the high-flying Parrots, kicking a goal and being named in the winner’s best.
While Moe found a few avenues to goal, no player managed more than a single major for the Lions. Trent Baldi and Matthew Heywood were prominent for the beaten side.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Morwell 16.17.113
Drouin 9.3.53
While the scoreboard might have suggested otherwise, Morwell had to dig themselves out of a hole early in the piece, as the visitors jumped to a 25-point lead at the first break.
The Tigers would have been wary of the threat the Hawks possessed after they nearly, and probably should have, defeated Moe the previous week, and at quarter time Drouin looked to have generated the start they wanted.
However, then something truly extraordinary happened.
The Tigers kicked eight goals – and Brandon McDonald kicked six of them.
The sharp-shooter proved unstoppable in the second quarter, kicking four goals in 10 minutes during red time.
Forwards reading this passage will know the feeling of truly being ‘on’. There can often be no explanation for it, but every now and again a forward will go through a purple patch where they just don’t miss or find that the ball keeps landing in their hands.
For McDonald, this was surely the feeling during the second quarter.
Morwell’s blitz saw them overcome the deficit and take a 21-point lead into the sheds.
With the McDonald show in full swing, the Tigers continued on their way in the third.
Drouin appeared shell-shocked by what had transpired, and did not kick a goal leading into three quarter time.
The Hawks only managed one more goal for the game – McDonald managed three.
He kicked his eighth at the 18-minute mark of the last, and added a ninth a minute later.
That ninth put him into the history books for the most goals in a match by a Morwell player against Drouin.
Somewhat ironically, he topped someone with the same surname but different spelling, bettering the eight kicked by current Yallourn Yallourn North captain Dean MacDonald in 2014, who shared the record with Russell Peachey from 1961.
McDonald took best on ground honours in what could only be described as ‘his day’. Boyd Bailey was busy with 31 touches, as was Dan Musil in ruck with 29 hit outs, along with Tristan Waack who had 35. Nathan Noblett also played well.
Best for Drouin was Kye Quirk, Ryan Maric and Rhys Salter. Harry Wans collected 29 disposals, including 13 in the third quarter.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.
Wonthaggi 14.20.104
Bairnsdale 7.7.49
Wonthaggi celebrated the 150th senior game of star player and captain Aiden Lindsay in style, defeating Bairnsdale by 55 points, with Lindsay instrumental in the win.
He booted four goals to be Power’s most prolific scorer for the day.  While the spotlight was on Lindsay on Saturday, Jordan Staley, Harry Dawson and Andrew Murray also did damage around the big sticks for the winning side, notching a couple of majors apiece.
Murray featured on Wonthaggi’s best players list, behind Ryan Sparkes, and Lindsay. Playing bottom-placed Bairnsdale, it was a crucial win for Wonthaggi to stay in touch with most of the teams above it and to keep the chasing pack at bay. Wonthaggi sits fifth on the ladder.
After suffering two narrow defeats in a row, the home side was determined not to give the Redlegs a look in, with Power switched on from the outset. Wonthaggi fans saw their side leap out to a 6-goal lead by quarter time, keeping Bairnsdale goalless for the opening term. Bairnsdale showed pluck after the break, narrowly winning the second term, but Wonthaggi stepped up its performance after halftime to put the contest beyond doubt with a dominant third-term display.
That set up a commanding 47-point lead for Power heading into the last quarter. While Wonthaggi could manage only a wayward 2.8 (20) for the final term, Bairnsdale could register just two scores during that period, albeit maximum ones.
Bairnsdale coach Logan Austin, and Austin Hodge were the Redlegs’ best, with Brayden McCarrey’s pair of majors making him the beaten side’s only multiple goalscorer. Five other Redlegs managed a goal apiece.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Warragul 9.13.67
Maffra 17.8.110
A match review of this game can be read via Warragul Drouin Gazette here.
Traralgon 14.14.98
Sale 12.6.78
Traralgon passed a serious litmus test against Sale, with the Maroons brakig away in the final quarter at home, winning 14.14 (98) to 12.6 (78).
Spectators were treated to a good old fashioned shootout, as Brett Eddy and Brad Dessent kicked seven each for their respective sides.
Eddy’s haul for the victors backed up his previous round effort of six, and took his tally to a league high 28.
Dessent was equally damaging for the Magpies, and officials will be hoping it kicks him into gear after a somewhat stop-start 2022 campaign.
Barely anything separated the teams early on, although Traralgon’s inaccuracy in front of the big sticks denied them from taking a further lead than 10 points at the main break.
At that stage the Maroons had kicked 6.12 (48) to 6.2 (38). Traralgon was able to straighten up in the third, adding three goals, while Sale matched that effort, to see only eight points the difference with one quarter to play.
A five goal to three last quarter proved to be enough for the Maroons, as they built on the lead they had created as the ball was thrown up to begin the fourth term.
Traralgon kicked much straighter after half-time, nailing 8.2 (50).
Eddy was best on ground for the winners, and received good support from Luke Johnson, Troy Forrest, Tom Schneider, Tye Hourigan and Haydn Hector.
Dessent was in the best for Sale, as was Jack Leslie, Shannen Lange, Mitch Bown, Harry Ronchi and Kane Martin.
Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.


Hill End 23.8.146
Thorpdale 9.5.59

The jostling for prime position inside the top five continues, with Hill End having “some” control over their finishing position after a win over Thorpdale.

The Hillsmen are not taking their current ladder position of second for granted given the long road ahead and plenty of improvements to be made, even in their comfortable win on the weekend 23.8-146 to Thorpdale 9.5-59.

“It was a physical encounter with a bit of heat in the game early on,” reflected Hill End coach Mike Santo. “We started well and were able to string some sharp passages of good footy together.”

“Thorpdale outplayed us in the third quarter, but we were able to get on top in the last quarter and finish the game off well. The bye is coming at a perfect time for us.”

Thorpdale, disappointed but satisfied, showed more of what they’re capable of than the week prior.

“A much improved effort with some really good patches, especially the third quarter where we got our game up and going,” Thorpdale coach Ray Pickering said. “But couldn’t sustain it against a strong outfit.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone

Tarwin 11.15.81
Morwell East 9.8.62
The Sharks came into their weekend clash against the Hawks very much focused on protecting their unbeaten record of five wins from five matches and wanting along the way to continue the enjoyable ride for their growing community support at their home ground.
Morwell East had so much to prove on the back of their lacklustre start on a big occasion just seven days prior and were well aware a fast start away from home was to be pivotal in their chances of winning. Tarwin withstood the fight of the visiting Hawks and claimed their sixth win in six matches 11-15-81 to 9-8-62, and the coach of the Sharks couldn’t be more pleased of what his side has achieved to date.
Troy Hemming, Tarwin coach, said: “Morwell East were exactly what I expected, well coached by Devon, I have a lot of respect for him as a person and as a coach.
“They play a good modern brand of football and have some great, experienced players in their team.
“Great contest game with it being pretty even across the ground. Our group is pretty young so I’m very proud of the boys for sticking to the game plan and staying confident within themselves to get the job done.
“I’m very proud of our group not only as footballers but the care they show for each other out on the ground too.”
Morwell East coach Devon Soutar couldn’t have asked for a better start to the match.
“Right from the pre-game, it was clear we were gonna be cracking in, driven by our leaders we finally played in the exact manner that we’ve been searching for, unfortunately, very good sides like Tarwin don’t give up much margin for error and a turnover riddled patch in the second quarter and a slight drop of intensity at the start of the last prevented us getting the reward for effort.”
The rewards for the Hawks are sure to come as coach Soutar works at turning his team of champions into a champion team.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Toora 2.2.14
Yinnar 27.16.178

The “Battle of the Magpies” looked to be a one-way affair if one was to judge the match on ladder positions alone.

The winless and undermanned Toora were no match for the visiting Yinnar, losing 2.2-14 to 27.16-178.

Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said it was a fantastic result with his team’s foot skills, run, carry and spread on show all day.

“We understand Toora had a lot out with COVID, which makes it very hard,” Taylor said. “They had three blokes play seconds and seniors, so by the end of the day we just completely outrun them. They will be a much better team next week.”

Toora coach Matthew Ponton said it was always going to be tough with 11 senior players out through COVID and injury, and the scoreboard reflected that. He praised the well-drilled Yinnar for their attacking brand of footy.

“Our boys gave it a crack today and that’s all you can ask when undermanned, credit to our better players Oscar Casmore, Michael, Cameron and Lukas Jenkins.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Stony Creek 4.10.34
Foster 12.14.86
With both teams looking for a win to keep their season on track, it was shaping up to be a cracking day at the Racecourse.
Stony Creek had extra to play for today, with a momentous milestone game, 300 for Jacob Byrnes, a stalwart of the senior team over the years.
The first quarter got underway with an early barrage for Stony but they were unable to make any scoreboard pressure, while at the other end, the Foster forwards were kicking strong and true. Long periods of the quarter went, as it turned into a free flowing tug of war, with defences of both teams put under the pump. With a three-goal lead, Foster would go into quarter time, looking to add more pressure.
The second started more positively for the foster fans, with Mitch Green bagging an early couple to push the margin further out. The Foster midfield were sharing it around, with Billy Flavelle showing skill and class at either end of the ground, while the Stony Creek defence were bolstered by the general, Chris Verboon. A follow up goal to Hayden Bull from Stony Creek cut the margin back, to keep the hopes of the Creek up, but Foster held strong and keep a four-goal lead going into the main break.
Both teams come out after half time with some fire in their bellies and something to prove. Stony Creek put the pressure on again early around goal, but Foster held fast and strong to keep the scoreboard from ticking further along.
A handy snap from a mark just on the point line from Cooper Cary for Stony Creek invigorated some spirit from both the crowd and the players, but Foster fought back with more run, including a handball chain from arc to arc find the big sticks to increase the lead to 31 points at the final change.
The 4th quarter started just like the others, with high pressure at both ends, with the free flowingness of the game showing.
Both teams holding strong in defence, however Foster just having a better time with a couple sneaking through to push the deficit for the Creek even further. A midterm goal kept hopes up for Stony, but a swift response, with an added 50 metre penalty that accompanied the mark, was the sealer for Foster. Another quick later term goal to Jake Chaseling was just icing on the cake for a very solid win for Foster, to dampen the celebrations for a local legend of Stony Creek.
Sam Davies, Foster coach, said it was nice to be back on the winners list.
“We had moments of really good play, our back six keep absorbing and continue to be a strong group, we look forward to keep building momentum.”
Foster are slowly climbing their way back up to where they need to be, while the pressure remains on Stony Creek.
Jay Accardi, Stony Creek coach, said: “We came up against a Foster side this week and were unfortunately not able to match their intensity in the match. The boys battled but came up well short, a big improvement is needed for us to be competitive against Boolarra next week.”
The clash of the Lions against the Demons is likely to be defining, as the league gets close to the halfway mark of the home and away season.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Fish Creek 9.10.64
Boolarra 12.7.79

Fish Creek found themselves in the unusual position of ninth in the bottom half of the table and more than two games behind their opponents prior to their weekend clash with third placed Boolarra who had the added benefit of a game in hand.

The precarious position of the respected Kangaroos was reason enough for the home side to throw absolutely everything at the visitors.

The Demons withstood the pressure, getting the points courtesy of a 12.7-79 to 9.10-64 win.

It was a game that for a lot of the afternoon could have gone either way.

“In the first half, we went away from the type of footy we want to play and Fishy were playing good, running footy and making us look ordinary,” Boolarra coach Tony Giardina said. “But to the boys credit, after half-time we started playing the footy we want and the game turned our way.”

The turn of the game means contrasting fortunes for the two sides, with Boolarra now well positioned in third spot and Fish Creek in the danger zone of 11th.

“It was a much better effort this week and things are starting to come together,” reflected Fish Creek coach John Danckert, “We had a poor patch of footy in the third quarter that Boolarra capitalised on, credit to them they took their chance.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone

Meeniyan Dumbalk United 5.10.40
Newborough 11.11.77

Newborough announced their arrival with a tenacious away victory over fellow finals aspirants MDU, 11.11-77 to 5.10-40.

The win for the Bulldogs was built on the back of some great team play and very good skills.

“We got to play on a great ground in perfect conditions, against a side of locals that move the ball very well and deny the opposition the ball,” Newborough coach Craig Skinner said. “A few injuries at crucial times cost MDU on the scoreboard.”

“Our nervous energy is turning into enthusiasm for the next contest,” he added.

The Demons were also happy enough with their effort, if not the result.

MDU coach Peter Harris said his team’s effort and endeavour was superb.

“Really proud of how the boys went about it,” Harris said. “We made simple skill errors that hurt us. Newborough were much cleaner and then able to convert on the scoreboard with greater ease.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone


All match reviews via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree

Churchill 13.29.107
Sale City 11.9.75
A ridiculously inaccurate Churchill managed to get the points over Sale City. Any time you are generating 42 scoring shots you are doing something right but when the final score reads 13.29 (107), Tuesday night’s training drills might be fairly obvious. Ben Kearns, returning after a week off, managed eight for the winners in a best on ground effort. He was joined by only three others on the goal kicking list with mid-cum-forward Chris Wangman and Chris Williams slotting a pair while Cain Iorangi managed a major also. The driving wind must have only impacted one end of the ground, the end Churchill was kicking to each quarter, as Sale City managed a more than respectable 11.9 (75). Adam Gray with three and Ben Britt with a pair were the Bulldogs multiple goal kickers. Ben Chivers continued his recent run of good form with another solid performance for the tri-colours with Mitch Evans and Bohdi Walker also listed as their better contributors.
Gormandale 5.3.33
Rosedale 18.24.132
While some big spaces determined the final two games at least one of the vanquished, Gormandale, could point to some improvement from their last outing. The Tigers lost 18.24 (132) to 5.3 (33), and although going down by 99 points is never going to be a positive, the fact the Tigers managed to kick five majors after going scoreless last week is a plus. For Rosedale it was Frazar Brouns and Tom Love with five and three goals who did most of the damage. Isaac Copland kicked three goals to be best on for Gormandale.
Glengarry 13.10.88
Yarram 12.17.89
Somewhat surprisingly the closest game of the round saw Glengarry welcome Yarram to town. Recent form might have suggested the Demons would be too strong for the Magpies and that is perhaps how things looked at three-quarter time with Yarram leading by 43 points. To the home side’s credit though they flew home like Bernborough and failed by a solitary point to chalk up the upset of the year, going down 12.17 (89) to 13.10 (88). Curiously Yarram had a handful of senior players back-up from the early game and this looked telling late. Factor in a couple of in-game injuries that meant no midfield rotations and the visitors were out on their feet. Glengarry took full advantage of this to nearly double their dime quarter time score in the last term. Ironically after all the scoring Glengarry was able to achieve it was the solitary score for Yarram in the last quarter, a behind, that mattered most. Corbin Sutherland was best for the Demons. Michael Ryan and Zac Bezzina each kicked four goals for the Magpies, and were well served by Ben Britten, Jesse Lee, Seth Healy and Reagan McDonald.
Traralgon Tyers United 10.9.69
Woodside 9.9.63
A five goal to nil 12-minute burst in the third term was the difference between winning and losing when Traralgon Tyers United took on Woodside in the North Gippsland Football-Netball League match of the round. While the home team Bombers led at quarter time by four points, the margin would have been much greater if not for some straight forward misses in front of goal.
The Bombers Mitch Mustoe, Jye Neilson and Ben Northover were all guilty of missing shots players of that calibre would normally slot and when Wildcat David Waddell slotted his second of the quarter after a free kick in the square things were much tighter on the scoreboard than they probably should have been as the first term ended. Liam Willaton, standing alongside Woodside’s Lee Stockdale at stoppages, was in everything for TTU along with Neilson and Kade Duncan.
For Woodside it was Ryan Foat and Waddell leading the way early. Foat was clearly beating Rowan Hore in the ruck however TTU still managed to win plenty of stoppages and set up scoring opportunities.
The second quarter was all Woodside. The visitors took a near on three goal advantage into the long break.  Michael O’Sullivan goaled at the five minute mark after a strong grab and when Stockdale went forward he slotted a left foot banana at the nine minute mark before setting up Jai Williams with an outstanding pass. When Williams kicked truly the players came from everywhere to celebrate the young fella’s first goal in senior footy and all the momentum was with the Wildcats.
As the half-time siren sounded things got somewhat heated with several players com-ing together to offer each other some advice. Even members of the coaching staff took the opportunity to provide directions on how to find the relevant change rooms. The temperature in the home team’s room certainly didn’t subside during the break with Bombers coach Jamie Aitken reading the riot act to his team.
Whatever it was he asked certainly worked as it was a Bomber blitz to start the third term. Stuart Goddard started things off with a piece of individual brilliance that saw his left foot dribbler duck and weave left then right like it was remote controlled before ultimately rolling though the middle of the big sticks. Then it was the skippers turn, Neilson’s goals at the fifth and 13-minute marks came from strong grabs and with Jayden Cutts going bang bang either side of Neilson’s second the Bombers had flipped the game on its head. They’d gone from dime goals down to two up in the space of a dozen minutes. To their credit though the Wildcats steadied and snagged the last two majors of the term through Stockdale and Waddell. With spot fires again breaking out across the ground it was a much needed three-quarter time siren that sounded. The scoreboard showed a two-point lead to TTU that came on the back of some of the best footy played in the NGFNL this season.
The move of Zach Kilgower to the front half provided an extra option for the Bombers and freed up Neilson and Hore to roam far and wide. Dougal Williams and Duncan provided plenty of run and carry on the outside for the home side with Willaton and Mustoe doing the grunt work.
For the visitors the Waddell boys in David and Brett were in everything as was Josh Scott. The move of Stockdale into the forward 50 arc provided plenty of spark and all was set for a titanic last quarter. When Neilson slammed home the first goal of the last quarter after just 90 seconds of play the game had a similar feeling to it as the start of the third. This time however Woodside put the slows on the home side and slotted two of the next three. First it was Foat who goaled from long range and then O’Sullivan who had threatened to take mark of the year half a dozen times finally held onto one and then kicked truly. Twenty two minutes gone, the travelling side had the lead and the momentum but TTU co-captain Mustoe was having none of it.
Noted as quiet in the first half, Mustoe stepped up when it mattered and asserted himself on the game when it was there to be won. He was pivotal in a last quarter that could have gone either way, his goal at a key point in play was the icing on the cake. When Goddard, who looks like he has borrowed his haircut from John Rambo, followed up with his second goal at the 24-minute mark TTU led by eight points and looked safe. A couple of rushed behinds to Woodside saw the draw come into play with seconds left on the clock but TTU managed to control the tempo for the last few moments of the game and held on for a six point win 10.9 (69) to 9.9 (63).
Both Willaton lads in Liam and Hayden were good for TM with the former arguably just BOG over skipper Neilson. Neilson this year is stamping himself as a real leader and one of the best players in the competition. Hore toiled all day in the ruck and Michael Jacobsen, while not having one of his more dominant 40 possession games, was all class when he was involved. Scott was excellent for Woodside and Stockdale showed his class. Ben Johnson stood tall across the back line and both the Waddells and both Morgans (Jeremy and Josh) were also solid contributors.
Cowwarr 3.5.23
Heyfield 29.17.191
Heyfield were huge 168-point winners over Cowwarr. Heyfield fired off a warning shot last week with their 205-point win and backed it up this week with another of similar substance, this time with the scoreboard reading 29.17 (191) to 3.5 (23). While the opposition sides in the last two weeks may not be up to finals standard, the Kangaroos must now surely be eyeing off a run at the post-regular season. Their ability to kick a score is beyond doubt, so much interest will centre on Heyfield’s defence in their next few clashes when they meet three of the league’s top four sides. Jesse Bedggood went large again slotting nine goals with young star Tyson Birss helping himself to five. All singles for Cowwarr went to Anthony Barrett, Ben Plozza and coach Shane Galea kicking truly. Kevin Hood was named best for the Saints along with Ben Coffey and Jack Casson.


Match reviews unavailable at time of post. 

Lucknow 11.15.81
Orbost Snowy Rovers 11.15.81
Lakes Entrance 9.9.63
Boisdale-Briagolong 8.12.60
Stratford 15.11.101
Lindenow 4.4.28
Paynesville 8.6.54
Wy Yung 23.17.155


Match reviews unavailable at time of post. 

Bruthen 6.8.44
Swan Reach 21.13.139
Omeo Benambra 10.8.68
Swifts Creek 8.8.56
Lindenow South 14.17.101
Buchan 9.2.56



Warragul Industrials awarded the win after Seaford 2nds forfeited.

Bass Coast Breakers 12.12.84
Edithvale-Aspendale 1.1.7

BEST: Jenna Russo, Kelly O’Neill, Imogen Bradford, Courtney Fletcher, Chelsea Connell, Sunday Brisbane

GOALS: Kelly O’Neill 5, Imogen Bradford 3, Sunday Brisbane 2, Kate Caughey Tracey Johnson 1.


Lang Lang 26.20.176
Fountain Gate 0.0.0

BEST: Cait van Dord, Bree van Dord, Hayley Dyer, Sunday Denny, Tiah Cavigan

GOALS: Cait van Dord 12, Hayley Dyer 12, Aliesha Hamilton Shayla Hamilton 2, Sunny Denny Emily Lesjak Chloe Lenders 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team 10.7.67
Pines  0.1.1

BEST: Amanda Hines, Natarsha Sanders, Kristy Mason, Bonnie Mahoney, Alicia Clerks, Jaynee Petersen

GOALS: Alicia Clerks Amanda Hines 2, Hayley De Graaf Kathrine Groendahl Tayla Lochki Rachael Pendlebury Natarsha Sanders Victoria Smart 1.


Foster 3.5.23
Lindenow South 

Foster: Bonnie-Rose Waters, Lois Rodger, Chantelle Waters, Rachael Francis, Katie Jones, Ella Carr
Lindenow South: Brodi Harris, Connie Barry, Jasmaie Saunders-Baxter, Teleigha Saunders, Kathy Whittingham, Nicole Schaeche

Foster: Chloe Dodd 2, Lois Rodger 1.
Lindenow South: Brodi Harris 3, Teleigha Saunders Jasmaine Saunders-Baxter 2, Connie Barry Nicole Schaeche 1.

Bye: Moe-Newborough


Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: