Boolarra scored their lowest (0-2) against YYN for 66 years in what was a one sided match at Boolarra.

Conditions were almost perfect with no wind but it was YYN who championed the day.

The black/red, blue/red combinations seemed to clash with players picking out opposition players constantly, even the three umpires got it wrong at times. YYN were matchless as they were ruthless in their attacking football but at times they got sloppy with short kicks that didn’t come off at times.

The Bombers got goals easily but to Boolarra’s credit they never gave up and forced YYN into many errors. Dean McDonald was the target up forward and his team-mates were looking for him to kick goals instead of going themselves. Dean McDonald led well and finished with 10 goals but YYN also missed easy chances and with only 21 goals from 40 shots against Boolarra was a poor return. Their tally of 29 behinds being the highest ever over Boolarra.

The best battle of the day was between opposing ruckmen in Matt Windsor and Daniel Potts – these two fought it out in the centre and boundary work with the odds about even. A second quarter melee saw two players, one from each side, ejected from the field to warm the bench.

Boolarra were content to criss-cross their backline to hold up the ball but their methods came unstuck as YYN wised up and covered their opponents. In the end it was an easy but a lazy win, running out 21-29 to 0-2.

Keenan Hughes kicked five and was impressive and Darcy Shellcott bagged a couple with the rest spread around. Dean McDonald was rated as best for YYN and rightly so, his ten goals was a mix of easy, contested, hard fought and team assisted goals, Dylan Bath, Keenan Hughes and Luke Webber also came under notice.

For Boolarra consistent Simon Buglisi gained the top vote with Sam Mazou (my best), Marcus Twomey and Daniel Wilson gaining the awards.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Mirboo North held the Ron Skinner Memorial Trophy high after their 64 point win over Newborough.

The win by the Tigers makes it impossible for Newborough to play finals. Playing before the reunion players from 1958, 1978, 1998 and 2008 the Tigers were a runaway smash not giving Newborough any chance of taking the points.

The Tigers blew out to lead by half time 7-6 to 0-1, the Bulldogs in a rare position of nil goals by half time.

Mirboo North continued in the third although their rate was limited by the Newborough pressure, the Dogs were relieved to score a goal in the third.

Newborough looked better in the final term as Mirboo North wound down, Seven shots each in the last term saw Newborough outscore Mirboo North 3-4 to 2-5 but it was academic as Mirboo North ran out winners 12-16 to 4-6.

Jumping Jack Robertson scored four for the Tigers which seven other players scoring goals. Newborough had four kickers. Robertson was voted BOG with assists from Clancy Bennett, Ben Stoertebecker and Kris Berchtold. For Newborough Mat Slattery continues his good season, Wade Smith, Michael Rosato and Dom McColl all good players.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Thorpdale came back to their winning ways with a victory over Hill End - The Blues winning over Hill End for the eighth successive time.

With twelve goals between them, Brad Atkinson with his best tally of seven at Thorpdale and Brad Greene with five scored more than Hill End’s tally.

It was Thorpdale from the start, a six goal to one first term setting up the eventual win kicking their highest score for the season of 22-18 to Hill End’s 8-4.

Jake Atkinson chipped in for three goals as well for Thorpdale.

For Hill End a Thorpdale-ish name popped up with Josh Hammond scoring three goals, their best players were Gerhard Egerer, Clay Ketchen, Matt Moseley and Rob Fiddelaers.

For the winners The Atkinsons, Gavin Low and Kayne O’Connell all played well.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Before a record gate (this year) at Trafalgar it was a matchup between first and second in a finals-like atmosphere. It was a milestone day for Yinnar pair Daniel Webster (250 games) and Brendan Chapman (150). Both teams were missing key players but their replacements stood up to produce a tough pressure game of football.

Yinnar were out of the blocks quickly driving the ball forward three times for only minor scores. Trafalgar on the rebound, after the urgings from Bay 13 scored three goals within four minutes to back themselves, undoing Yinnar’s early charge with Matt Swenson scoring a double. Brad McBride put the Magpies first goal on the board at the 20 minute mark but the Bloods were quick to reply through a direct shot from Klay Butler.  Yinnar added a further goal before quarter’s end with Trafalgar going into the break leading 4-1 to 2-5.

Trafalgar dominated the second stanza scoring a blazing 5-6 to Yinnar’s nil which gave Trafalgar a handy lead going into the second half.

Yinnar got a serve at half time and started to get plenty of possessions with Jimmy Dowling having the ball on a string. He majored three times as Yinnar crept ever closer to Trafalgar’s tally. With only 12 points the difference going into the last term Trafalgar started to fold under pressure and when Yinnar goaled to get within six point midway through the term the Bloods started to panic and gave away possession to Yinnar.

The Magpies were pushing home hard but Trafalgar stood tall to hold out the Magpies to finish 10-10 to 8-9, thirteen point winners. Matt Swenson finished with three for Trafalgar while James Dowling topped Yinnar’s tally with three. Trafalgar’s best were Klay Butler, Darcy Brock, Damien Mann and Austin Byrne. Yinnar’s best included Nathan Rowley, Luke and Dean Linton and Mark Stolk. The loss to Yinnar dropped them down a peg to third.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


As part of the AFL Gippsland Mental Health round it was Morwell East who strengthened their chances for a final’s berth with a strong win over Yarragon - the Hawks were only nine point winners in a game that only produced seven goals each.

Morwell East however kicked 17 behinds which ultimately gave them the match. Morwell East started well but indifferent kicking for goals put Yarragon a lot closer at the end of the first term as the East led 2-7 to 1-1, a second term revival by Yarragon led by Brad Wolfe and Dean Fitzgerald put the Panthers ahead by half time by 11 points.

The third term was a slug out as neither team could get the breaks, defenders were on top as the East managed 1-2 but kept Yarragon down to only four behinds.

The East came alive in the last, after being down by nine points at the break they quickly gained the upper hand through Rob Michaelides and Frank Marks and hit the front - they almost kicked their chances away with erratic forward play but came through at the finish to win 7-17 to 7-8.

Rob Michaelides was the main scorer with three for the East while Neil Pratt scored a double for Yarragon. Eric Semmler, Michaelides, Brandon Francis and Frankie Marks were best for the East while Yarragon’s Brad Wolfe, Devin Pollock and Dean Fitzgerald were voted best.

Laurie Williams

(Independent observer)


Website: | Twitter:


Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.