Cora Lynn 18.8.116
Dalyston 2.7.19

Cora Lynn put an early stamp on its game against Dalyston with a seven-goal first term propelling the Cobras to an 18.8.116 to 2.7.19 triumph.

The Cobras led by 48 points at the first break, keeping the Magpies scoreless, before extending their lead at each change.

Nathan Gardiner continued his charge up the goal-kicking leaderboard with five, while four to Cory Machaya and three to Lynden Banting were other highlights of the day.

Classy lefty Mason Storr kicked the Magpies only two goals for the game.

Cora Lynn, coming off a four-game winning streak, will be at Kooweerup this week, while the Magpies host Garfield in a crucial battle in the bottom rungs of the ladder.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Garfield 4.5.29
Inverloch Kongwak 14.12.96
Inverloch Kongwak welcomed back captain Toby Mahoney and took the trip up the highway to face the winless Garfield.
The game started with a Will Turner goal on the run as the Sea Eagles put on a strong forward press early. The Stars fought back as play sat on the outer side wing in windy conditions. Lachlan Johnson slotted one from the pocket after IK continued to drive it forward. This opened up the visitor’s run, using the interchange bench wing to move it forward for Jenson Garnham’s first. Shem Hawking then slotted another from deep after a 50-metre penalty to extend the Sea Eagle lead to 29-points.
Although their inaccuracy held the lead to just 30 at the first break, following 10 scoring shots.
Garfield started the second term hot and struck early through Lachlan Sauze, as the wind assisted bottom end of the ground proved to be the ‘scoring end’. The Stars midfielders began to break loose out of the centre and Jett Pickering took a strong grab, converting their second in row to trim the lead back to 18. The ball pinballed between the scoring arcs until IK’s pressure finally broke down the host’s defence and Mahoney slotted his first on return. After a brief Stars fightback, Shem Hawking and the Invy’ back six stood tall and Tristan Van Driel took a telling mark at centre half forward. The Sea Eagles failed to convert the opportunity, as the wind continued to affect their set shots. Van Driel eventually found his first major after a classy repeat entry courtesy of Oscar Toussaint and Thomas Wyatt.
Garfield didn’t take long to bite back, finding Jack Barnes who kicked truly, although the Stars’ ill-discipline continued to ruin their hard work. The wind picked up to start the third quarter as IK pushed it forward early but again struggled to kick accurately across the ground in the conditions. The ball stayed in the ‘dead pocket’ for much of the term, as IK struggled to score. Finally, after fighting for what felt like ages and multiple repeat entries, Mahoney broke the stalemate with his second. But again, the young Garfield side fought back but couldn’t capitalize on the scoreboard. Joe Soumilas found the goals in transition to the quarter stretching the visitor’s lead to 42-points going into the final break. The Sea Eagles came out hard in the final term, kicking two goals within the first 3 minutes as Mahoney and Van Driel shared the spoils. The Stars gave away another two 50 metre penalties leading to another major to Van Driel and IK’s third of the quarter as the game finally opened up.
The travelling Sea Eagles claiming victory by 67-points, they’ll look to extend their win-streak at home next week when they host the Warragul Industrials.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.
Kilcunda Bass 13.11.89
Bunyip 7.5.47
Match review can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.
Korumburra Bena 5.5.35
Nar Nar Goon 24.15.159

League-leading goal-kicker Dermott Yawney took his season tally to 39 majors with an eight-goal performance in Nar Nar Goon’s 24.15.159 to 5.5.35 victory over KorumburraBena.

The Goon was solid early, leading by 27 points at half time, but turned on the magic in the second half with 16 goals to one.

Yawney received great support from livewire Mitch Homfray, who booted five, while Trent Armour, Sam Blackwood, JJ Peni and Jake Smith continued their fine recent form.

Regulars Nick Besley, Josh Hargreaves and Zach Walker were best for the Giants.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Tooradin Dalmore 15.14.104
Phillip Island 3.12.30

Tooradin-Dalmore has stepped out of the shadows and into the spotlight of the 2022 premiership race after steamrolling the preeminent team in West Gippsland football by 74 points on Saturday.

Expectation will be a common companion for Lachie Gillespie and his team after the Seagulls delivered a 15.14.104 to 3.12.30 hammer-blow to reigning champions and minor premiers Phillip Island.

The execution of the victory was sharp, swift and efficient with the still-undefeated Gulls completely dominating the Bulldogs from the opening bounce.

The Gulls were electric in the opening quarter, with Stewie Scanlon kicking three of his eight goals in a brilliant first term display, while Piva Wright had the better of Cam Pedersen in the ruck.

The Gulls also set up expertly behind the football.

The Sherrin lived in the Gulls forward line and if not for some inaccuracy in front of goal their 27-point buffer at the first break could have been greater.

A five goal to one second term saw the margin blow out to 51 points at the main break and the highly-anticipated contest was effectively over.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Warragul Industrials 11.11.77
Koo Wee Rup 10.7.67

There are some games that, when considering the effect they can have on the ladder and the season as a whole, are called ‘eight-point matches.’ This was, without a doubt, one of them.

And ultimately, it was the Warragul Industrials who claimed a vital victory in their campaign for a maiden finals appearance in the West Gippsland Football Competition as they defeated Koo wee rup in a tight, seesawing affair.

With usual spearhead Mason McGarrity held to one goal, the Dusties were forced to find alternative avenues to goal to win 11.11 (77) to 10.7 (67).

Midfielder Kane Taylor was the unlikely hero in the forward line for the Dusties, kicking four goals to lead his team’s scoring.

For the Demons, Jason Wells was the constant thorn in Warragul’s side, his contested marking a highlight as he booted six goals to consistently keep his side in it.

The win sees the Dusties retain their fifth spot on the ladder and, with other results falling their way, it means that they are two games clear in fifth at the halfway mark of the home and away season.

Prior to this round, Koo wee rup had been one of the sides just four points behind them, making this result an incredibly important one in the context of both teams’ seasons as they strive for a top six finals spot.

The match was never a comfortable one, as neither side could build a comfortable lead beyond two goals or so for much of the day.

Both teams clearly understood the significance of the game, as the tackling pressure resembled that of a finals game.

Late in the second quarter, the Demons found themselves 10 points up and threatening to push the margin out further, though a late Dusties goal ensured the half time margin would remain in single digits.

A four goal to two third term allowed Warragul to retake the lead going into last, as fans of both teams would hardly have had any nails left to bite.

The Demons pushed hard in the final stretch, but some desperate defensive efforts from the likes of reliable Dusties stars Luke Walker and Anthony Bruhn ensured that when the final siren sounded it would be Warragul on top, much to the relief of the passionate home crowd.

The Dusties have now won five of their past six matches and are full of confidence, though there is an entire half a season to go. They must not become complacent if they hope to break through for their first finals appearance since moving to the West Gippsland Football Competition in 2019.

Luke Walker, Anthony Bruhn, Todd Beck, Kane Taylor, Kane Oldham and Bailey Beck were the Dusties’ best players.

Koo wee rup’s stronger players were Nathan Muratore, Matthew Voss, Jason Wells, Mitchell Cammarano and Mitchell Davey.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.


Trafalgar 11.8.74
Lang Lang 5.5.35

A dominant first term helped Trafalgar to a comfortable victory over Lang Lang, 11-8 (74) to 5-5 (35).

The Bloods booted eight goals to nil to effectively kill the contest by quarter time, taking a 50-point lead into the first change.

While scoring then slowed for the home side, the deficit was too much for the Tigers to overcome.

Four goals in the final term saw the visitor make a late charge, but the fast start ensured Trafalgar had control of the contest.

Damian Mann booted three goals with Blake Radford, Klay Butler, David Van Schajik, Jace Butler, Jamie Hines and Mitch Virtue also leading a dominant first term.

Tyler Guan, Bradley Ventura, Luke Clark, Lachlan Barwick, Sam Kendell and Liam Edgar were the better players for Lang Lang.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Poowong 6.16.52
Nyora 1.10.16
Poowong welcomed Nyora for the Demon Cup clash.
Due to illness and injuries Poowong were forced to make a number of changes.
An important game for Poowong seniors as they need to keep winning to secure their place in the finals.
Poowong kicked to the Drouin Road end; the game was played between back lines early until Poowong lifted with their first goal came from Jack Hazendonk from a handball. Paddy Harmes then kicked Poowong’s second and Jack Hazendonk on his left foot added Poowong’s third, his second to give Poowong a 16 point lead at quarter time.
The wind was having an effect on goal scoring with both sides missing goals they would normally kick. The second quarter started with Poowong’s Steve McInnes passing to Jayden Sullivan. Unfortunately his kick hit the post, Jack Hazendonk shot from CHF resulted in a point, followed by another poster. Nyora were working hard, marking well they managed two more points, before Max Mattock kicked Nyora’s first. Poowong’s Paddy Harmes hit the post, Nyora added a point before half time.
Poowong’s Jack Hazendonk and Tom Robertson were causing Nyora problems around the ground, as was Poowong’s defence which was marking everything. For Nyora Max Mattock, Dylan Heylen and Travis Stewart were playing well. Each side had nine scoring shots up to half time, so the game was up for grabs.
Poowong were determined to maintain their lead, they slowed the game down to not allow Nyora to get a run on and it worked, with Poowong’s defence marking everything down back with Nyora forward. Though it did not show huge rewards on the scoreboard with one goal five to Nyora’s one point. Steve McInnes being Poowong’s only goal scorer from six shots to go into the last quarter leading by 20 points.
Poowong’s coach Chris Doria asked the players to work hard and ensure they slowed down the game to protect their lead.
Steve McInnes marked in the goal square to kick his second and when Will Robertson kicked Poowong’s sixth they were home.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times, written by Geoff Wyatt.
Longwarry 25.21.171
Nilma Darnum 2.6.18

Ten goals from Braydon McHugh helped Longwarry to a big win over Nilma-Darnum, 25-21 (171) to 2-6 (18).

The Bombers were again competitive in patches but again experienced times where the opposition were able to take full control.

The Crows booted eight goals in both the second and fourth quarters to ensure a significant boost in percentage.

Joining McHugh among the better players were Cooper Brown, Bailey Stephens, Ben Cuckson, Jake Serong and Cole Cook.

The better players for the young Bombers side were Sebastian Crowle, Korey Carrison, Jeremy Jarred, Malcolm Hunter, Nick Carrigy and Dylan Alberni.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Ellinbank 5.3.33
Neerim South 9.5.59

An early surge from key forward Lachlan Bambridge proved the difference as Neerim-Neerim South overcame a persistent Ellinbank to earn outright favortism in the chase for the Ellinbank District football premiership.

Ellinbank showed resilience to bring the final margin back to 26-points, particularly after losing coach Ben Wragg to injury in the second quarter, the Cats doing enough to win 9-5 (59) to 5-3 (33) and maintain their unbeaten record.

The home side entered the contest boosted by the return of Nathaniel Paredes while much like the McKay brothers at AFL level, the Urie brothers missed an opportunity to play against each other with Chris a late omission for the Cats.

Michael Urie had plenty of the ball early and passed to Wragg in the pocket, who converted from the tight angle to give the first goal to the Eagles.

With a perceived three goal advantage to Ellinbank end, Alex Johnson stepped up with some good marking in defence as the Cats began to make their move.

Luke Kinder took a good mark under the high ball as Bambridge began to look ominous, kicking his first to put the Cats back in front.

Cooper Clancy won the hard ball to allow Kinder to set up Lachlan Guy, who ran into the open goal.

Repeat entries saw the Ellinbank defence under siege, Nathan Bayne finding Bambridge for another goal.

Bryce Joyce switched play as Anthony Battista and Tim Mashado linked up, only for the attack against the run of play to be cut off by Matthew Edwards.

Bambridge won a free kick late in the term as the Cats kicked 20-points clear.

Joyce and Kinder led an entertaining foot race to begin the second term as Ellinbank lifted. Despite their work, it was the Cats to convert the first major.

Following good lead up play from Nick Caddy, Johnson and Bambridge, Ben Fitzpatrick found Josh White to punish an Ellinbank turnover.

Liam Anderson was competing well with Bambridge, but the Eagles’ cause wasn’t helped as Wragg limped from the field and would take no further part.

The coach had led the hard ball gets and it forced a shift as Mark Vassett, who was coming off a club record 16 goals the week prior, was forced to relieve in the ruck.

Joyce and Ryan Atherton played a strong quarter in defence to help keep the home side in it. But the hard work was undone as Tyssen Morrow converted on the siren through the agency of a 50-metre penalty for umpire dissent.

The contest tightened in the third term with repeat stoppages and plenty of players around the ball the order of the day.

Vassett took an early mark inside 50, the US College punter for the Cardinals kicking truly for a much-needed goal to give the home side some hope.

The Cats responded to the challenge early in the final term. Isaac Fuller found Bambridge who marked on the second grab before playing on to make use of a vacant goal square.

Kinder backed himself in for the long shot, the breeze bringing it back nicely to effectively ice the result for the Cats.

Ellinbank would challenge again as Vassett converted from a free kick, only for the Cats to answer with play of the day. Fuller handballed to Kody Wilson, who took three running bounces through the middle and converted from long range.

The Eagles would finish strongly as Vassett added his third goal, but the challenge ultimately came too late.

Zach Holton finished with an impressive effort to keep his feet and find the open goal to close off a good passage from defence for a late consolation goal to the home side.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Catani 6.8.44
Yarragon 11.14.80

Yarragon pulled off a great escape to overcome a determined Catani side that threatened to cause an upset.

Trailing by two points at the final change, the Panthers kicked six goals in the final term while keeping the Blues goalless to win 11-14 (80) to 6-9 (45).

Yarragon were not able to shake the persistent Catani, the Blues entering half time still in touch after scores were locked at the first change.

The home side were quick to overcome the 11-point deficit, booting three goals in the third term to hit the front as a boil over loomed.

Yarragon’s better players stepped up in the final term to arrest the Blues’ charge as the likes of Damien Allison, Tyler Payroli, Taylor Rainey, Toby Sherer and Lachlan Shaw came to the fore.

The Panthers used the opportunity to blood some young talent, the likes of Sage Tapner and Liam Smith-Butterworth able to hit the scoreboard in the absence of captain Mitch Jolly.

James Williams, William McGindle, Dylan Williams, Nicholas Cullen, Shaun Donnelly and Jack Hobson were the better players for a Catani side that made the Panthers earn the points.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.


Drouin 0.5.5
Leongatha 23.20.158
Match reviews of this game can be viewed via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here and Warragul Drouin Gazette here.
Maffra 9.8.62
Traralgon 12.8.80
Traralgon moved to second on the ladder after defeating Maffra. The Maroons overcame an indifferent second quarter to break away from the Eagles in the finish, closing out victors 12.8 (80) to 9.8 (62). Making the trip to Maffra, the visitors hit the ground running in the first term, scoring three goals to one behind. The Eagles hit back from there, and went into the sheds with only eight points the difference.
Traralgon was able to take control from there, and kicked four goals to one in the third before a high scoring last quarter saw nine goals kicked between the two teams.
The win made it four in a row for the Maroons, and now sees them hold second spot on the ladder by percentage from Sale and Moe. Brett Eddy kicked three goals for the winners, while Harvey Neocleous, Tye Hourigan, Mark Collison, Luke Johnson and Tate Marsh all played well. Eddy was not the only former Port Adelaide player on the ground, as Maffra had someone with a familiar surname wearing the red and black. John Butcher made his fifth appearance for the season, but failed to hit the scoreboard, with the goals coming mainly from Eagles’ youngster Tom Thatcher who nabbed three. Hudson Holmes continued his blinding form and was best on ground for Maffra, along with Ed Carr, Danny Butcher, Alex Carr, Tom Jolly and James Huts who missed last week due to COVID.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin
Moe 4.7.31
Wonthaggi 13.3.81
Wonthaggi faced a stern test of their aspirations in season 2022 on Saturday when they travelled to the Ted Summerton Reserve at Moe in real wintry conditions.
And while they came away with a morale-boosting 44-point win, they didn’t have it all their own way in general play.
After a dour first half of a low-scoring affair, Wonthaggi led by 16 points, but it was ultimately their defensive efforts and pressure that iced the game in the third quarter, holding Moe to three points while adding two of their own. Moe actually had more inside 50s than Wonthaggi on the day, but the Power produced 10 of their 12 goals from turnovers, many of them rebounded by a winning defensive unit. Players responsible for winning the ball and transitioning it around the flanks; Tim Knowles, Josh Schulz and Jack Hutchinson, all having great years, were among the best with the Power also well served again by Toma Huther and Ryan Sparkes on the ball.
The Power finished on strongly with a four goal to one last term, lifting their win-loss to 5/3/1 from nine games, still
behind Moe on 6/3.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times
Sale 17.16.118
Morwell 6.7.43
Sale was far too strong for Morwell. The Magpies were ruthless in their execution at home, winning 17.16 (118) to 6.7 (43). Morwell entered the match with a bit of confidence following a solid fortnight which included a win over Wonthaggi, but any such confidence was surely zapped midway through the second quarter as Sale blew the lead to beyond seven goals. If there was any Tiger Train leading into the game, it came to a grinding halt at half-time as Morwell remained goalless. The Magpies continued to put the foot down after the main break, adding four and six goals in the next two quarters. As predicted, the difference in experience between Sale and Morwell had a big say in the result.
The top three players for the Magpies all had over 100 VFL or Gippsland League senior games under their belt in Ryan Pendlebury, Shannen Lange and Kane Martin. Martin kicked four goals, as did Brad Dessent. Tom Glenn, Mitch Bown and Jesse Collins also did a good job.
Best players for Morwell were Tyler Brown, Cody Macdonald, Archie Grant, Ryan Hearn, Nathan Noblett and Tyler Hillier.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin


Boolarra 11.16.82
Stony Creek 9.5.59

There was so much on offer to both of these clubs, with Boolarra having the opportunity to start to “firm up” their position in the top six and Stony Creek needing a win to stay in touch with the top portion of the ladder.

In front of a home crowd, the Demons delivered a comeback win that had to be seen to be believed, 11.16-82 to 9.5-59.

Boolarra coach Tony Giardina was happy to get the points.

“It’s the worst start to a game yet this year. Credit to Stony Creek, they were first to the ball and were playing great footy to be up by 44 points just before half time. But to our boys credit and quite a few changes, it was an awesome comeback, and to keep them scoreless for the second half was great.”

The loss was a tough one for Stony Creek coach Jai Acardi after a game of two halves.

“We got off to a really good start and in the first half played some of our best football of the season to date. Enter the second half, and Boolarra came out full of running and we came out polar opposite. To not register a score in a half of football raises plenty of questions for us.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

MDU 4.11.35

Yinnar 10.12.72

It was always going to take the very best that MDU had to fend off a rampaging Yinnar side.

After displaying rare form in the past fortnight, it took time for the visitors to get some sort of control in this contest. But once they did, Yinnar strolled to a comfortable 10.12-72 to 4.11-35 victory.

MDU coach Peter Harris reflected the first half was tough contested footy but they missed chances and Yinnar took their opportunities in the second half.

Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said it was a real arm wrestle early, with the game played on MDU’s terms.

“We had to change things up at the main break by putting our bigger bodied players around the contest, which swung the game our way,” Taylor said. “Kane Grinstead Jones and Cal Sheils were fantastic and really set the tone in the second half. We managed to get the game on our terms by gaining territory, which allowed us to hit the scoreboard. Really proud of the boys, it was a great win.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Tarwin 14.8.92
Mirboo North 5.9.39
As Saturday’s robust winter wind came blowing into Shark Park — from across nearby Bass Strait — undefeated top-of-the-table Tarwin wore Mirboo North down in the second half, to win by 53 points.
Tarwin’s season of dominance continues unabated and it rightly has a top-two, home-and-away finish firmly fixed in its sights.
Perhaps inspired by the popular return of ‘Roaming Brian’ to TV screens the previous evening, both sides matched BT’s penchant to entertain with a scintillating opening half, where, at the long break, Tarwin had established an 11-point advantage.
After conceding two first-quarter majors to the Sharks, long range goals on the wind in the second term from Liam Schmidt and playing coach Josh Taylor, kept the mighty Tigers in the hunt.
Alas, there were also four Mirboo North behinds, plus a brutally wild kick out of a pack that almost hit an elderly spectator standing between two near new SUVs on the fence.
Premiership heroes, Hudson Kerr, Joe Brooks, Liam Nash, Taylor, Shane Peters and skipper Damien Turner, continually joined with Ben Campbell to take everything up to the Sharks.
However, immediately after half-time, it was clear Mirboo North had expended most of its energy, as the rampaging Sharks extended their advantage to 34 points at three-quarter time.
In short, Mirboo North was caught short on several fronts — there was a shortfall of productivity through the midfield, effective disposals in defence were in short supply, and when 190cm key forward, Julian Blackford was injured, the Tigers were one tall short in attack.
Losing Turner to a hamstring strain, was also a body blow for Mirboo North.
Suddenly, Tarwin’s overall authority became breathtaking in its scope and its territorial integrity meant the Sharks had ownership of almost everything nearly everywhere around the ground.
With the frequently frequented bar doing a roaring trade, longtime Tarwin supporters looked as contented as a paddock full of golden Jersey milkers chewing on their cuds.
Down at the southern end goals, city holidaymakers, Doris Cunningham, Wendy Webster and Marlena Cooke, were admiring the polished flag-waving skills of Don Wight — who was officiating in his 1310th match as a field or goal umpire since 1976.
The Tigers clearly wanted the footy, but it was the Sharks who better displayed the wherewithal to find it more often and carry all before them in the process.
The Sharks’ star spearhead, Cooper McInnes, was easily best afield, finishing with seven superb goals that takes his current 2022 tally to 29 majors.
When it came to work rates and decisiveness, Tarwin’s next best performers — Matthew Williams, Lachlan Schreurs, Ben Ellen and Matt Zagni — were harder to split than iron bark fence posts.
Although Tarwin booted a further six goals in the final quarter, a number of Mirboo North’s youngsters came to the fore with more than handy play.
In the late stages, Rory Peter kicked two outstanding 45-metre left foot majors from heavy traffic and Beau Peters was stoic on the last line — whilst Ethan Woodall, Taj Wilkins, Jordan Cummaudo and first gamer Patrick Lewis, pushed their weary bodies past exhaustion.
Nash was Mirboo North’s other goal scorer, after brilliantly marking a sky-high 65-metre long-bomb from Taylor in the right forward pocket.
Afterwards, in the visitors’ change rooms, Taylor addressed his defeated team with positivity.
Match review via multiple publications, written by Rover.
Morwell East 17.13.115
Toora 2.4.16

There would have been some sleepless nights for Morwell East coach Devon Soutar in the days leading up to his side’s clash with the visiting Magpies.

As it turned out, Soutar could have spelt well as his side won 17.13-115 to Toora’s 2.4-16.

“We knew if we jumped out and took control early, it would reduce the belief and resistance from a proud but severely undermanned Toora,” Soutar said. “It was a sharp first half that put the game to bed, but our squandered opportunities in the second prevented the margin stretching any further. Despite some sloppy execution, our desire to pressure and compete never waned.”

Toora coach Matt Ponton said his side got off to a slow start with a number of injuries impacting his side.

“Two goals to three in the second half showed we can play, it just needs to come earlier,” Ponton said. “Hopefully the injury bug goes away and we come next week with our first win.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Newborough 16.12.108
Fish Creek 6.5.41

Newborough have quickly reached a standard of performance that has been missing at the kennel for a number of years.

This newly formed team of talented youngsters came up against a Fish Creek side with their backs to the wall, and rose to the challenge, winning 16.12-108 to the Kangaroos’ 6.5-41.

Newborough coach Craig Skinner said it was a cracking start to the game with fast ball movement and precise kicking in windy conditions.

“After a reminder what Fish Creek did to the boys last year, they stepped forward not backwards, and went to another level in the second quarter playing a great brand of footy in front of the club’s members and sponsors,” Skinner said. “Our midfield, led by Mikey Rosato, was the difference.”

The Bulldogs have the privilege of depth and that also demands performance from those given opportunity, something that is being delivered more often than not.

Fish Creek coach John Danckert said it was a good game of footy and was proud of his boys for having a dip.

“We matched motors early in the first quarter, the second we were blown away,” Danckert said. “Momentum is massive and they took that away from us in the second quarter.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Thorpdale 8.7.55
Foster 18.13.121

It’s been a very tough month for the Thorpdale team. The Blues have been on the end of some terrible beatings; losses that would have tested the resolve of the entire playing group.

Coach Ray Pickering has continued to be a pillar of strength, carefully highlighting the “good” within those defeats. It’s also provided the coach some clarity as to the type of people he has around him, beyond their obvious footballing ability.

The answer is clear, there is still work to do after Foster won by more than 10 goals, 18.13121 to 8.7-55.

Foster coach Sam Davies said “it was nice to get consecutive wins.”

However, he also wants improvement, with too many lapses from his players.

“We just need a lot more touch and game play.”

For Thorpdale, everything needs to go right and a slow start to the games was not and part of the plan.

“We didn’t show up in the first quarter and the game was essentially gone,” Pickering said. “After quarter time, we were much better, showing some real strong patches of good footy. We just need to start sustaining it for longer to give ourselves a chance of winning.”

A bye might be just what Thorpdale need at this stage of the season. On the other hand, the Tigers are slowly putting it together and on their day have proven to be capable of matching it with any team, spelling danger for many in the league in the second half of the year.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.


All match reviews via Gippsland Times, written by Scott Berechree.

Sale City 12.12.84
Traralgon Tyers United 12.8.80
After springing the upset of the year over Traralgon Tyers United last Saturday the tri-colours deservedly find themselves in the five at the break. After jumping the Bombers on Saturday to hold a two goal lead at the first change, TTU launched a six goal to one second term to take a comfortable three goal lead into the main break. This second quarter was reminiscent of the Bombers third quarter the week prior, a quarter in which they kicked five goals to none to set up their win over Woodside. For all intents and purposes this should have done the same. Sale City though are perhaps made of sterner stuff than some give them credit for, and a rollicking second half saw them slam home seven majors to four and grab a much deserved four point win 12.12 (84) to 12.8 (80).
A pair of majors to all of Ben Brett, Ben Chivers, Sam Davidson and Bohdi Walker combined with the best on ground efforts of Tom Bowman was enough to steer the tri-colours over the line.
For TTU, Mitch Mustoe was a lone hand up forward with four majors with midfield weapon Michael Jacobsen chipping in with two. Zac Kilgower, who has missed several games this year, continued his excellent return to form after being in the Bombers best last week by being best on ground at the weekend.
Woodside 4.11.35
Yallourn Yallourn North 13.10.88
Woodside and the ladder-leading Yallourn Yallourn North was turned on its head when the travelling Jets launched a five goal to nil second quarter blitz to effectively end the contest. Post-game Woodside coach Michael Duncan rued his side’s early inaccuracy noting the Wildcats failure to capitalise on their early dominance was costly in the 13.10 (88) to 4.11 (35) loss. The Wildcats managed six behinds and a further three shots out on the full before the Jets had registered a score. And as Duncan noted “you can’t let a good side like that off the hook” Duncan also pointed to the significant ankle injury to Nick Stockdale at the 15-minute mark of the first term as a key moment. It is feared Stockdale suffered a broken ankle and will miss a large portion of the remainder of the season.
The second quarter was all YYN as they piled on five unanswered goals to set up a match wining 32-point lead as the sides headed for the change rooms at the long break. YYN president Evan Sheekey said when his side required a spark it came via a Dylan Keyhoe left foot snap from near on 50. This spark soon turned to fire and it was all one way traffic. Duncan lauded the Jets ability to move the ball quickly when needed yet to also retain possession as required. Even with-out playing-mach Barrie Burnett, who usually takes up residence across half back the Jets were able to dictate tempo through the likes of Campbell Maclnnes who clearly wasn’t distracted by his stroll down media street Saturday morning.
The third quarter started like the first with Woodside controlling play but not transferring their efforts on to the scoreboard. Conversely when the Jets owned the ball they managed to split the big sticks three times and stretch their half-time lead to 46 points at the final change.
A three goal to two goal last term saw YYN prevail by 53 points and retain top spot on the ladder as the league heads into the Queen’s Birthday bye weekend. Duncan was effusive in his praise of the winner’s, noting the one-two combination of Keenan Hughes and Dean MacDonald in the Jets front half was “always a headache” with the gun duo slotting four goals each.
Heyfield 9.9.63
Churchill 10.9.69
A month ago it would have been expected Churchill return home with a relatively convincing win but in the last few week’s Heyfield has really hit their straps. Yes they have kicked big scores against sides at the bottom of the ladder but bad sides do not kick 396 points to 23 in a fortnight of footy. Given this improvement the Cougars expected a solid contest and that is exactly what they got. After leading by 12, 20 and then 21-points at each break it looked like Churchill would keep the Kangaroos at arm’s length and head home with a four or five goal win at the last change. Heyfield however had different ideas and with Churchill losing gun forward Ben Kearns to a quad injury and key swingman Chris Wangman to a serious ankle injury, Heyfield pounced. They stormed home, kicking 3.4 (22) to fall just a single goal behind Churchill who managed only one goal and one behind after the final break. While happy to get the four points in a final scoreline of 10.9 (69) to 9.9 (63) the bigger issue for the Cougars could well be the potential long-term injuries to two key players. Jesse Bedggood continued his renaissance of late with another four goals with his big partner in crime James Beha also slotting a pair for the
Kangaroos. Adam Wallace and James Conway were named Heyfield’s best in an effort that sees them now a dangerous floater outside the top five as the second half of the season looms.
Rosedale 27.23.185
Cowwarr 3.7.25
Rosedale dominated their clash with Cowwarr from start to finish, running away huge 160-point winners. After being within touching distance at the first break, the Saints rarely troubled the scorers from then on, managing just one goal and five behinds while Rosedale added a whopping 23 goals and 17 behinds to eventually win 27.23 (185) to 3.7 (25).
Brad Scott and Tom Northe did the damage for the Blues kicking nine and five respectively. It looks as though things have started to really click for Rosedale of late and after a slow start to the year they find themselves just a win outside the five at the halfway point.
Yarram 19.31.145
Gormandale 7.5.47
A seven goal opening blast saw the home side set up a large enough gap that the result was never in doubt. Inaccuracy and a tenacious Tiger effort saw the margin stay under triple figures with the final scoreboard reading 19.31 (145) to 7.5 (47). For Gormandale, it was a positive step forward having now gone scoreless to five goals to seven goals in the last three weeks. Best for them was Jarryd Garlick who managed five of their seven goals. For Yarram it was a case of fixing the flux capacitator and breaking out the DeLorean with ageless coach Justin Staley turning back time to bag six of the finest in a best on ground performance. He was joined in the best by regular contributors such as Boadie Motton, Griffin Underwood, Jayden Shea and Liam Bentley and as anyone who follows Yarram will know when that crew are playing good footy the Demons are hard to beat.


Boisdale-Briagolong 8.4.52
Stratford 14.21.105
The Swans danced their way to the break by doing a demolition job in the local derby against Boisdale-Briagolong. A five goal to one second quarter paved the way for Stratford, who went on to win 14.21 (105) to 8.4 (52). The 53-point margin would have been much greater had it not been for inaccurate kicking, especially in the final quarter when the Swans had 13 scoring shots to three for a return of 5.8 (38).
Boisdale-Briagolong took a slender four-point lead at quarter time, but from there, the visiting Swans made better use of their opportunities. Having returned to the side last week, Haydn Erfurth was again among the top goal-kickers for Stratford, nabbing five in the victory. Others to play well for the Swans were Andrew Scott, Liam Cunningham, Mitch Hawkins, Jack Bacon and Brad White.
Billy Marshall was again in the best for the Bombers, and received good support from Daniel Johnson, Declan Scriven, Tom Lee, Matt Wilkinson and Kel Porter.
Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin
Lindenow 9.17.71
Lakes Entrance 9.6.60
Lakes went in to Saturday’s match at Lindenow without coach Tom Smith, gun forward James Gibbs, ruckman Sam Nickles, utility Ben Crittenden, defenders Drew Marsden and Zac Svetlik and young guns Liam and Emmett Carroll. The team that took the field was gallant and brave, taking the game right up to the second placed Cats, certainly improving on the 79-point humbling it received from the then-rampaging Lindenow in round two.
Trailing by 24 points after a disappointing first half performance, which was flattered by inaccurate kicking from the Cats. The Seagulls played inspired football in the third quarter, some of their best for the season booting five goals to two, putting then within nine points at three quarter time and more importantly giving them a realistic chance to get over the line.
It was not to be. In an epic last quarter both sides added one goal, the defences of both sides holding up to the opportunities created. The Cast, with Justin Gould and Hugh McShane leading from the front hung onto win by 11 points. Bayley Croucher kicked three goals and debutante Logan Dunkley chipped in with two.
Jarrod Matthews was a great target up forward for the Seagulls contributing five goals. Better players were Fraser Dostine. Ryan Hooper and Tom Duncan.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser
Orbost-Snowy Rovers 10.8.68
Paynesville 9.17.71
Orbost Snowy Rovers and Paynesville played a tight and entertaining encounter at Lochiel Park with the Gulls saving the best to last in a comeback victory that will haunt the Blues. Orbost Snowy led all day and had a 20-point advantage heading into the final team, however an inspired Paynesville kicked the goals to one to seal a three-point victory. The Blues went out of the blocks early, playing some of their best football for the season with the returning Wes Russell (three goals), in his first match of the season, providing an extra target up forward beside skipper Hamish Nettleton (two goals). The six-goal to two first term saw the home side have a handy 22-point lead at quarter time. Onballers Max Herbert and Braeden Ross were in the thick of the action with Andrew Kenny again relishing his role across half back.
Paynesville coach, Ash Watt, made some much-needed adjustments at three quarter time to get his side back in the game.
“l thought we probably didn’t quite have our match ups right early, the addition of Russell certainly straightened them up. With Hamish Nettleton up their they have plenty of firepower, they move the ball well and are fast.”
In a low scoring and tightly contested second quarter, Paynesville waked itself into game but wasn’t converting its scoring opportunities, bad kicking leaving the Blues 19-point leaders at the long break.
Dangerous Gulls utility Alex McLaren was beginning to look dangerous and they were getting great service from halfback David Ashworth and on baller Charlie Walsh. Orbost Snowy again was more efficient in front of goal in the third term kicking two goals straight, while the Gulls added one goal and five behinds. The lead was now 20 points and the Blues were favoured to win their second game of the season.
Herbert was working hard through the middle while Paynesville were getting plenty of drive from Dylan Radford, Brad Walsh and Ben McKinnon. Paynesville played an outstanding last quarter, finishing with five goals to one, McLaren at his destructive best finishing with a match winning five goals. The Blues were unable to stem the flow as the Gulls clocked up inside 50s at will and with quality defensive pressure made it hard for the home side to get the ball out of the back half.
Kenny, Herbert. Braeden Ross, Lachlan Fenner and Jordan Ross were all four quarter contributors for the Blues. Radford, Brad Walsh. Ashworth, Charlie Walsh and McKinnon instrumental in assisting McLaren get the Gulls over line.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser
Wy Yung 14.11.95
Lucknow 8.7.55
Wy Yung defeated Lucknow by 40 points, the Pies adding some respectability to the scoreboard in the final quarter adding six goals to three in what was a disappointing performance from the fourth placed side. Harry Kellow was again among the goals for the Tigers, backing up his six from the previous week with five on Saturday. Brendan Flinn kicked three for the Lucknow. Best players for Wy Yung were ruckman Andrew Thomsen, Aaron Hanuera, young gun Tom Stephenson. Kelton and the consistent Jock Overend.
Thomas Southen, Kyren McNaughton, Stephen Bertino and Chris Hammond were all prominent for the Pies.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser


All match reviews via Bairnsdale Advertiser

Buchan 3.4.22
Omeo Benambra 20.16.136
It was the Gavin Campbell Memorial Game at Buchan, with Omeo Benambra blowing the Cavemen away in the second half to win by 114 points. Alpine Ranges’ forward, Brandon Betts was back among the goals, with five. William Cook and David Peach chipped in with three each. Best on ground and Campbell medalist, Riley Taylor. received great support from ruckmen Jai Hayward, Tom Cook, coach Cody Graske and Dean Jobling.
James Joiner, Shaun Coleman, Wil Capes and Christopher Mathers were all solid contributors for Buchan.
Lindenow South 36.26.242
Bruthen 0.2.2
Lindenow South put on a show for their 2012 premiership reunion, smashing Bruthen by 240 points. the Bulldogs held goalless. Max Solomon cashed in with 10 goals. ably assisted by Neil Raw-lings with six. Mitch Neal, Sam Howden, Janet Callaway, Seth Smith and Will O’Keefe all kicked three in a goal feast. Good players were a plenty, but the Swampies named, Solomon, Neal, Nathan Pollard, Aaron Edwards. William O’Keefe and Robert O’Keefe. Ray Giddings and Rhys Kennedy were the pick of the bunch for Bruthen.
Swifts Creek 8.7.55
Swan Reach 9.12.66
The Swans claimed a significant win against a likely elimination final combatant in Swifts Creek at Swifts Creek. Coming off recent defeats to Omeo Benambra and Lindenow South, the Demons were keen to get back on the winners’ list and keep their hopes of the a top two finish alive, while Swan Reach was eager to claim a big scalp and show it is a legitimate contender heading towards the business end of the season.
In a tightly contested first quarter, which was dominated by the half backlines, both sides struggled to hit a forward target. Swan Reach was missing the league’s leading goalkicker, Brandon Scott, who was resting a hamstring strain. It was Swifts Creek who had the better roves, Lachlan Goodall kicking the first goal of the match with a clever snap. He was outdone shortly after by Jamie Harrison with a kick from an impossible angle that found its way through. Swifts Creek skipper, Tom King, was either marking or punching any forward attack of Swan Reach as another Demons foray resulted in a Jordan Hack major off the ground. Joel Waters, Bronson Ritchie and Jack Mills were getting plenty of ball but their efforts weren’t rewarded until late in the term when Darcy Sumner kicked a major to close the gap to 16 points at quarter time. Swifts Creek was already one player down with Shaun Fleming dislocating his shoulder.
The game went up a notch in the second quaver with both sides finding plenty of space when they had the footy. The Swamp got the first of the term, but Demon Jake Westland quickly replied. Swifts Creek was getting plenty out of half forward. Jamie Barton, though he was coming up a long way to get his possessions. King and Dylan Hack were cutting off plenty of Swan Reach forward endeavours, most created by Mills. Waters or Keith Ritchie. who was proving elusive. Swan Reach kicked the next two goals through Danaren Morgan-Ritchie and Waters who marked a clever intercept 15 metres from goal. Swifts Creek steadied late in the quarter with the lively Nathan Hayes marking and threading the eye of the needle from a tight angle. Swift Creek led by 13 points at half time.
Swan Reach lifted the tempo in the third quarter and used the ball more efficiently going forward, although it did miss a couple of gettable chances. The main beneficiary from the increased efficiency of Waters, Mills and co, was full forward Charles Solomon who kicked two goals for the term, the delivery out in front making it impossible for King to jump from behind and spoil. Dylan Hack added a goal for the Demons against the pain, however the three quarter time lead to Swifts Creek had been cut to three points.
The game was set up for a big last quarter with both sides having plenty to play for. Swan Reach was working hard and attacking hard early, but it was Swifts Creek who got the first through Jordan Hack Swan Reach replied quickly through Jack Cameron after a match-defining chase from Matthew Marsden resulted in a holding the ball free kick. Hood’s second put the Swans in from for the first time. When Sumner kicked his second shortly after, the Swans were 10 point in front with 10 minutes to play. It was an epic period of play with both sides working the ball forward but no goals were kicked. The Swans hanging on to win by 11 points in contest that may define their season. Better players for the Demons were Jesse Hack, King, Beau Hack and Hayes. Mills was outstanding for Swan Reach in a best afield perfor-mance, with plenty of support from Waters and Ritchie. who were cool and calculated late in the match.



Warragul Industrials 7.44
Coburg Seconds 1.5.11

BEST: Sarah Elson, Alicia Clerks, Amelia Sim, Michaela Williams, Jenna Robertson

GOALS: Renee Young 2, Sarah Burns Alicia Clerks Shanara Notman Jenna Robertson Emily Robinson 1.

Bass Coast Breakers 2.6.18
Karingal 4.5.29

BEST: Stacey Poke, Sunday Brisbane, Jenna Russo, Hannah Mills, Zara Hooper, Courtney Fletcher

GOALS: Imogen Bradford, Kelly O’Neill 1.

With Bass Coast and Karingal sitting even on the ladder in third and fourth, the home side were expecting a good contest.
Due to COVID, the Breakers fielded a new look team with three former players Hannah Mills, Jaz Garry and Emma Jackson along with first gamers Zara Hooper, Bernie Fitzgerald and Teaghan Whitham taking the field to help the team.
With a strong wind blowing to the rail trail end, Karingal won the toss and kicked to advantage. However, despite the wind
advantage, a solid defensive effort lead by Stacey Poke, Hannah Mills and Courtney Fletcher across the half back line and Georgia Slavin at full back saw Karingal held to 1.2 for the term.
Unfortunately, the Breakers didn’t capitalise in the second term only managing four points, despite the strong breeze and most of the play in their forward half. A great start to the third saw breakers maintain possession with short kicks and controlled advancement – exactly what Breakers stand-in coach Ella Angarane had asked of the team.
After a solid ten minutes of limiting the visitor’s opportunities, Karingal managed to take advantage of the ball and wind to score three late goals and take a four goal lead into the last break.
With the wind still strong in the last quarter, the Breakers pushed forward and scored two goals via set shots from O’Neill and Bradford but this was enough to peg back the lead. Despite the loss there were lots of positive’s with pulled together team coming together well with the first gamers quickly getting involved and familiar faces (and voices) picking up where they left off.
Sophie McCracken-Evans continued her dominance in the ruck while Zara Hooper in her first game for the Breakers was a handy inclusion and adapted to the senior competition with ease.

Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.


Lang Lang 7.10.52
Cerberus 2.8.20

BEST: Chloe Lenders, Hayley Heffernan, Layla Bunting, Emily Lesjak, Cait van Dord, Sunday Denny

GOALS: Ebony Whitworth 3, Kathleen Cook Hayley Dyer Hayley Heffernan Bree van Dord 1.

Warragul Industrials Development Team 2.3.15
Mornington Reserves 1.5.11

BEST: Unavailable

GOALS: Unavailable


Moe-Newborough 11.11.77
Lindenow South 1.0.6

Moe-Newborough: Lynette Patten, Briony Stoneham, Player, Danielle Davies, Kylie Mann, Jessica Skehan
Lindenow South: Jamieson Elliott, Sophie Rykers, Jasmaie Saunders-Baxter, Shannon Gotthold, Jackie Elliott, Nicole Schaeche

Moe-Newborough: Danielle Davies Nikia Webber 4, Taylor Dow Sandra Fenton Kaitlyn Ferguson 1.
Lindenow South: Jamieson Elliott 1.

BYE: Foster

Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: