Fish Creek have hopped into the grand final with a dramatic two point win in extra time on Saturday at Meeniyan.
The predicted weather held off and big game was underway under bright sunshine, Fish Creek took the early ascendancy kicking the first two through Hunt and Shaw.
Hargraves for Fishy was repelling Stony Creek’s attacks, his ball use dynamite.
Hutchison for the Maroons was composed cutting off the poor entries from the Roos as they cut a path through the middle kicking there first and only goal for the stanza.
Fish Creek had plenty of inside 50’s but could not convert.
Stony Creek’s defenders in Sigeti and Logan stood tall marking the long bombs in from the Roos.
Fish Creek was up by 14 points at quarter time.
Zuidema v. Manne in the ruck was proving pivotal.
Fishy onballers through Harfield-Park and Ethan Park doing the grunt work seemed to be getting on top willing the ball forward and the Roos kicked goals from Cooper, Wilson and Hunt.
The other big match was Bergles v. Hayes.
Bergles, the five time leading goal kicker, had his ears pricked slamming on two for the quarter.
Fish Creek’s inaccuracy at goal was preventing them from kicking away.
A strong Stony Creek defence only allowed the Kangas long shots at goal.
The Roos had Stony where they wanted them going into the second half, 18 points in front.
It’s a big ground at the Meeniyan Recreation Reserve, however and Stony Creek were using it very well, stretching the Fishy boys from side to side.
The Maroons came out with a take the game on mantra and it worked with goals through Bergles and Byrnes that saw the margin trim up.
Hargraves into the middle for Fish Creek gave the Roos a bit more run.
Hutchison with his pin point ball use was setting up the Maroons at will.
The dreadlocked Atkins was becoming busy around the stoppages along with Marriott and Newton receiving a lot of outside ball.
A late goal to Bergles gave Stony a sniff and it was game on at three quarter time with the Roos up by nine points.
Fish Creek attacked time and time again, but Logan for Stony stood tall taking towering marks and with his long kicking set up goals for Bergles and Nolan.
Manne was intercepting everything across half back, but Stony Creek’s ability to turn the footy over enabled them to attack kicking three for the quarter.
As scores drew level the bell rang and it was extra time.
Unbelievably this would be the second year in a row the second semi would be decided after normal time.
Harfield-Park received a free kick 60m out and bombed it long to the square where the big man Adlington took a mark and put the Roos a goal in front.
At the change of ends the next five mins would decide who went through to the big dance.
The Roos held a seven point lead.
The Maroons poured forward, a goal to Hutchison had the crowd on their feet. Bergles left foot snap hit the post, as Fish Creek held on by 2 points.
It was an epic battle, a fantastic second semi-final.
Fish Creek scrape through to its fourth grand final in a row and Stony Creek live to fight another day in preliminary final against the much improved Foster.

Sarah Vella - The Great Southern Star



Foster has managed to claim a five-point victory over Toora in Sunday’s Alberton elimination final, but it came at a cost. An incident late in the final term saw key Tigers player Jack Roper suffer a broken ankle with nine minutes to go on the clock. An ambulance arrived after 25 minutes and they administered pethidine to Roper who was on the stretcher still on the ground. It was going to take about 15 minutes before they could move him into the ambulance, so the game was called off at that stage as the Alberton Football Netball League rules state, if a match is unable to recommence within 30 minutes, the scores at the time will be deemed to be the final scores.
Prior to the sickening incident the game had been back and forth for most of the afternoon, with a strong breeze blowing to the highway end of the Stony Creek ground. The Magpies won the toss and the rights to first crack with the wind, however costly errors in front of the big sticks led to just two goals being converted. Jon Pintus and Jack Weston made sure Toora dominated the possession for the entire first quarter locking the ball in attacking 50. The Magpies held a slight 18-point lead at the first break. but the early six behinds would prove costly in the later stages of the match.
The Tigers went to work in the second quarter and they made no mistakes, with Shaun Chaseling and Tom McGowan never wasting their opportunities in front of goal. Michael Cook and Brendan Neville never took a backward step and provided plenty of run and carry through the midfield. A six-goal quarter to the Tigers handed them an 18-point lead at half time, with plenty of work to do against the breeze in the third.
But the Magpies kept coming with Richard Jaroszczuk and Brady Mitchell both adding morale boosting goals. As the quarter was winding down the Magpies were still having dramas with their efficiency and when siren sounded for three quarter time the scoreboard read Foster 6.2.38 Toora 5.10.40. The odds were stacked against the Magpies with the Tigers preparing to storm home with the wind.
Coach Brad Rooney begged his players to find something special for the final term, with a place in the preliminary final waiting next week. McGowan again proved why he is one of the top forwards in the comp threading a beautiful goal to take the lead. A late Magpie goal into the breeze left a slither of hope for an against all odds win but when injury struck the game was all over. Foster will now take on Stony Creek in the preliminary final at Tarwln on Saturday.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Website: | Twitter:


Fish Creek v Stony Creek match review taken from article written by Sarah Vella reporting for The Great Southern Star. To view original article in full online visit

Foster v Toora match review taken from article published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original article in full online subscribe to South Gippsland Sentinel Times here

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.