Cora Lynn 24.13.157
Koo Wee Rup 8.9.57

Cora Lynn full forward Nathan Gardiner is now a realistic chance of claiming a third-consecutive league goal-kicking award after a stunning 13-goal performance against Kooweerup at the Cobradome on Saturday.

Gardiner’s electrifying display propelled the Cobras to a 24.13.157 to 8.9.57 victory over a Kooweerup side that failed to show up after having its heart broken against Warragul Industrials last week.

The Demons were competitive early, but slaughtered after quarter time in a massive backward step from just seven days earlier.

Gardiner is a proven elite player of the competition, kicking 81 goals during the home-andaway season of 2019 and backing that up with 50 from 11 games last year.

He finished third behind Cam Pedersen in the league best-and-fairest award in 2019, and finished equal second, alongside Jaymie Youle, behind Pedersen last year.

With just one round of the home-and-away season remaining, Gardiner, on 71, sits one goal

behind Nar Nar Goon’s Dermott Yawney (72) with Kooweerup’s Jason Wells (70) the other contender. All three players take on top-six teams this week…so winning will be richly deserved.

Gardiner’s season has been super impressive, after he missed the first two games with a hamstring injury.

He had just two goals on the board after five rounds, but has booted 69 majors from just 12 games since.

The focus is quite rightly on Gardiner, because the game was all one-way traffic from very early in the second term.

The Cobras led by 17 points at quarter time, but an 8.2 to 1.1 avalanche ended the game as a contest. The Cobras extended their lead from 60 points to 82 at the final change, before cruising home to victory.

Matt Ryan kicked three for the Cobras, and Heath Briggs and Cory Machaya two each, while Dill Bass, Billy Thomas, Robbie Hill and Gus Da Costa were all over the Demons throughout.

Mitch Cammarano kicked three, and Nathan Voss and Wells two each for the Dees, while Bailey Galante never gave up the ghost.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Garfield 15.15.95
Dalyston 5.5.35

It may have been 392 days since their last victory in the West Gippsland Football Competition, but Garfield are winners once again, thanks to a thumping win over Dalyston.

After enduring a long and, at many times, torrid season, the Stars were like an irresistible wave, sweeping through their opponents and only growing in confidence as the game wore on. They eventually won 15.15 (105) to 5.5 (35).

For a side that has very often found scoring to be a major issue, the Stars had no such issues on the weekend. They had nine individual players find the big sticks, with Zach Dalton and Nicholas Lang being the best of them with three goals each.

Jonty Bow and Jonathan Sauze put in season-best performances in the middle, allowing Garfield to win the ball at the contest and almost totally deprive Dalyston of the ball.

Their final score of 105 points easily smashed their previous best this season of 66, while the fact they managed to generate 30 scoring shots was again a clear season high.

When these two sides last met, Garfield were caught up in the hype of Dalyston’s mid-season cameo of Shaun Burgoyne, who used his wealth of experience to run rings around the Stars. Without Burgoyne to worry about this time though, things were all too easy for Garfield, who found revenge to be a sweet taste.

Yes, while the Stars were fantastic, the manner in which the Magpies appeared to roll over, especially after half time where they kicked just two goals to Garfield’s eight, would have been gravely disappointing for the visitors.

But, at the end of the day, the match was all about Garfield, whose elation at finally finding victory was palpable. The Stars have now lifted themselves off the bottom of the ladder for the first time in many weeks, and will now be looking towards the future with a bit more hope knowing they will not be consigned to the undesirable record of having a winless season.

Garfield will now look to next week’s game against Kilcunda Bass, which now suddenly looms as a gettable game, as they try to finish their poor year on a great note.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Nicholas Duck.

Korumburra Bena 9.13.67
Kilcunda Bass 11.9.75
Match review available to view online via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.

Tooradin Dalmore 14.12.96
Nar Nar Goon 10.11.71

Tooradin-Dalmore has locked away minor premiership glory in West Gippsland football after a gritty and grinding 14.12.96 to 11.10.76 victory over Nar Nar Goon on Saturday.

It’s only a stepping stone to what the Seagulls hope is a much bigger prize handed to it on Saturday 10 September, but winning the minor premiership is a significant achievement for a club that has had rare success in recent times.

The Gulls finally have something to boast about…and can now focus solely on winning their first senior premiership in 25 years.

Two hugely-impactful ‘three-goal bursts’ gave the Seagulls the edge in what was otherwise a very competitive contest.

Nar Nar Goon started brightly, with dangerman Dermott Yawney proving too strong for Connor O’Riordan, marking and goaling from mid-range, to put the first on the board after 90 seconds of play.

In a surprise move from both camps, Luke McKenna started in the ruck for the Gulls, with Flynn Parker his opponent allowing Eamon Trigg to start forward for the Goon.

The Seagulls answered quickly, with Liam Adams kicking a goal on the run before outmarking Brendan Hermann, and converting, to give the Gulls the lead after five minutes of play.

JJ Peni then found the big sticks for the Goon, and when Yawney guided through a set shot it sort of felt right that the Goon had edged out to a one-goal buffer.

Piva Wright, who would have a huge influence as the day unfolded, then proved too strong in the air to tie things away at 19-each.

Adams then missed everything, on the run and aiming for his third of the quarter, before Trent Noy and Hermann produced something special for the Goon.

From a forward-flank ruck contest, Noy flicked one out the back to Hermann who hit the ball at top speed and put through a cracker from 40-metres out.

The Goon deserved their five-point lead at the first change.

The Gulls then started to ask questions of the Goon at the start of the second quarter… and the visitors had no answers.

Jimmy Trezise had things too easy, outmarking two opponents, giving the Gulls the first of three goals inside four minutes.

Trent Adams then went harder and lower

than the Goon, winning a head-high free kick, before Dylan Paarlberg snapped quickly to open up a 13-point lead.

The first of those ‘three-goal’ bursts…well it had done some serious damage.

The Goon looked a little lost, under the Gulls’ intense pressure, with their movement stifled and not looking threatening at all.

A complete quarter of football was capped off by the Seagulls when Blake Grewar dribbled one through to give the home side a 22-point margin at the main break.

The Goon had their chances at the start of the third quarter…but failed to capitalise.

Yawney looked at his dangerous best, but missed two difficult early set shots before marking at the top of the goal-square to close the gap to 14.

Only eights points had been scored for the quarter, and they all came from the boot of Yawney.

But, once again, the Seagulls lifted their rating and the Goon couldn’t go with them.

Dylan Wilson was superb off half back, repelling everything within his sight, while Brad Lenders, Cooper Shipp and skipper Jordy Kelly were just as effective in defence.

The energy of Trezise was also important, while the Gulls’ mature use of the ball, targeting hit ups, saw the Goon appear lost at times trying to defend slow play.

And that dominance soon impacted the scoreboard, with the Gulls going on their second ‘three-goal’ burst of the match.

Wright ignited the Seagulls with a ballburster on the run, before Stewie Scanlon – down on his usual output – kicked an absolute cracker from the Sports Club forward pocket.

The Gulls were up and about, with the Goon getting frustrated, and it was no surprise to see a downfield free-kick result in Wright’s second for the quarter.

Three goals in six minutes…another flat patch from the visitors…the margin out to 34 points.

But full credit to the Goon for refusing to accept a blowout.

The Goon replied with three goals of their own, with a Yawney free-kick and goal, at the 28-minute mark of the third-quarter, cutting the margin to just 14 points at three-quarter time.

The Goon suddenly appeared to have more speed on the footy and was heavily challenging the Seagulls’ defence for the first time in the contest.

But any hopes of a Goon comeback quickly evaporated at the start of the final term.

Wright found space, out the back of a pack, and kicked truly to stretch the margin out to 20…a heart-breaker for the Goon, who had worked so hard to edge back into the contest.

To defeat the Gulls, the Goon needed to do everything right and a missed shot from Cooper Pursell – at the two-minute mark of the final term, summed up their missed opportunities in front of goal.

The Gulls expertly gave the Goon leg-rope, and then closed them down in an instant, making scoring difficult once again.

Gulls’ veteran Julian Suarez took some clutch grabs in the final term, while James Cairns was doing likewise for the Goon.

A goal to Brady Egan then extended the gap to 25, before Wright provided two significant highlights of the day.

He first marked outside 50, before launching a long bomb into the arms of Johnny Duff, who hit the ball at full speed at the top of the goal-square…running with the flight of the ball…and into an open goal.

Hermann then returned fire with two goals for the Goon, cutting the margin to 21 points with six minutes left on the clock, before Wright capped off a best-on-ground performance with a monster-launch from 60.

It was a fitting finish to great day for the big man.

Wright finished with five, and Liam Adams two, while the work-rate of Brent Macaffer behind and beside the football – to orchestrate the Seagulls tempo brand of football, should not be underestimated.

The Gulls work so hard for each other to set up that hit-up style of play.

Yawney ended the day with four for the Goon, on a good day for the forward that yielded eight shots at goal.

Hermann showed his class with three for the vanquished, while Flynn Parker, Aidan Pipicelli, Sam Blackwood and Jake Smith never took a backward step against this year’s premiership favourite.

Match review via Pakenham Gazette, written by David Nagel.

Warragul Industrials 6.9.45
Inverloch-Kongwak 13.12.90
Inverloch-Kongwak looked to build from their dominant showing against Garfield when they travelled to Warragul to face the Dusties in what shaped to be a finals-like encounter.
After they fell to the Sea Eagles
in Inverloch in round 10 in a fiery finish, the Dusties were keen to come out hard in hopes of revenge in clean conditions on the home deck.
It took both sides a while to
get a feel for each other as they battled for control of play and fought to move the ball to their style.
After a missed shot, IK pressed
hard in the forward half to create a repeat entry and it was young gun Hayden Lindsay bobbing up with a great mark deep inside 50.
The Sea Eagles then made it
two from two, linking up through the middle beautifully to find speedster Joe Soumilas for a trademark running finish from 45.
The visitors lifting to the end
the first term, as both defences stood strong, the Sea Eagles holding an 8-point lead at quarter time after a low scoring term. After another chance was missed by Dylan Clark, some more IK pressure from Lindsay upfield led to another Warragul turnover and the visitors wasted no time finding Garnham deep inside 50 again for another.
A great win at a stoppage on
centre wing led to Marcus Toussaint getting himself on the board before the Dusties finally broke through with their second of the match.
The hosts soaked up the enor
mous Sea Eagle pressure quite well throughout the first half. Although their good work was undone by a 50-metre penalty which led to a Corey Casey goal to IK.
Clark’s second miss then led
to a Dusties forward thrust and great surging goal, against the flow.
Another major on the halftime
siren keeping them in the game, IK’s led by 17-points at the main break.
After a nice intercept mark
from Marcus Toussaint, the ball found Tom Hams who received a free kick and another 50-metre penalty as the hosts’ ill-discipline really started to rear its head.
The Sea Eagles remained fo
cused and determined, as they had from the outset.
They finally found a real groove,
applying finals-level pressure on the ball and moving it quickly with every opportunity, this time finding Garnham on the lead for another.
Warragul endured it all well
once again though and were good enough to answer to cut the lead to 23-points before yet again having it all come undone by some poor decision making and discipline.
After a halftime spray from
their captain and a disappointing third term giving away chances, the Dusties were still in the game and needed a big fourth quarter to claim revenge on IK.
Warragul answered through
Mason McGarrity, although IK’s pressure and gameplay across the field was simply too good. Shem Hawking was yet again at his classy best, intercepting everything and creating plenty of run from defence in a best on ground performance, as IK ran out 45-point winners.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Bunyip 5.8.38
Phillip Island 19.20.134
Headlining the pre-game preparations were the acknowledgments of 50 senior games for two of the favourite bulldogs – Billy Taylor and Eli Richards. Taking different paths to a 50th senior game, it was certainly a proud moment for both players.
The first quarter saw a much tighter contest that may have been expected given the relative ladder positions of the two sides.
Jack Taylor took charge early in the forward line, and that forward-turned-defender Levi Robinson heading the backline, including kicking his own early goal.
The Bunyip Bulldogs displayed a clear preference for a chip, pass, chip and switch game, which had undone the Island boys in previous games, but it was certainly lacking forward penetration this day.
The second quarter saw the Bulldogs break clear of the tight rein from the first.
Zac Vernon in particular took matters into his own hands with three outstanding goals for the quarter, ably assisted by Max Blake who was making his presence felt in the forward line.
Orlando Kane-Gillard was having his best game for some time – seems he had his own ‘players box’ on the forward flank that were cheering on his efforts!
A third quarter blitz from the Island boys saw seven goals to one and a 13-goal lead at the final break.
A spread of goal kickers in the third, and a total of nine different goal kickers illustrated the contributions from all, in what was looming as a dominant overall team effort.
The final quarter saw complete domination from the Island boys, which strangely was not translated into scores on the board.
Max Blake continued to dominate the forward line, and Kane-Gillard continued his excellent effort with further goals.
Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Neerim South 13.13.91
Poowong 4.10.34

Another strong defensive effort saw Poowong restrict Neerim-Neerim South to one of its lowest scores of the Ellinbank District football season.

However it wasn’t enough to deny the ladder leading Cats, who showed no signs of taking the foot off the accelerator despite having already secured the minor premiership.

A first quarter burst which yielded six goals sent the Cats on their way before Poowong’s stout defence which has served it well in its strong run of form re-emerged.

They conceded just seven goals for the remainder of the match, but the damage had been done as the Cats won 13-13 (91) to 4-10 (34).

With Steve McInnes still missing for the Magpies, the Cats were able to find early ascendency through the likes of Kody Wilson and Isaac Fuller through the middle of the ground.

The Cats had personnel issues of their own with Ben Fitzpatrick missing from the side and Chris Urie out following a minor scare the week prior, finding a new role as team runner.

Nick Caddy returned to the side and would prove prolific across half back, making some impressive intercepts.

It also paved the way to give an opportunity to Matthew Roberts, who had been kicking goals for fun in the under 18 competition.

While he would not hit the scoreboard, he looked comfortable in his first opportunity, setting up a couple of opportunities for Lachlan Bambridge who would finish with five goals.

Tyssen Morrow started forward for the Cats and passed to Ashley Lockett for an early goal, Nathan Bayne taking Morrow’s place in the middle.

A strong pick up from Roberts led to Bambridge’s first and while the Magpies began to tighten, the Cats would go on a late quarter burst.

Bambridge converted from 50 metres, Morrow scored soon after before the Cats went coast to coast to score through Fuller.

Jack Hazendonk kicked from 50 metres as Patrick Harmes provided a shepherd at the goal face, only for Bambridge to turn and snap from one step for the immediate response.

Despite trailing by 28-points at the first change, the Magpies would respond with 2-3 to 2-5 for the second term.

A dour arm wrestle ensued, Bambridge finally breaking through late in the term.

Poowong hit back through a set shot from Harmes, only for a running shot from Lachlan Guy to provide an immediate response.

Hazendonk was awarded a free kick for a hold as he kicked from 25 metres to pull the margin back to 30 points at the long break.

The Magpies would hold firm to begin the third term but again it would be the Cats to score first, an Alex Henshall slip proving costly as Luke Kinder found Guy for a long-range goal.

The likes of Mitchell van’t Hof, Andrew Logan, Jye Loughridge, James Scott and Jaemeel Knecht were doing their best to deny the Cats, but a late running goal to Bayne increased the margin to 44 at the final change.

Fuller, Bambridge, Matthew Edwards, Kody Wilson, Ashley Lockett and Josh White were among those pushing the home side to winning position.

The play of the day to begin the final term put the result beyond doubt, with White showing a clean set of heels to convert from 40 metres.

Bayne added another and as Bambridge initially looked proppy after trying to catch an evasive Andrew Logan, all was well as he snapped his fifth minutes later.

Hazendonk came from the ground following a head knock but would also re-emerge, taking a shot from 30 metres at the final siren for a consolation goal.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Lang Lang 22.16.148
Nyora 3.5.23

Lang Lang needed a strong result to keep its faint finals chances alive and it delivered over rivals Nyora.

The match against the improving Saints presented as a danger game. Lose and the finals dream would have been over.

With their leading goal kicker Daniel Lewis among the inclusions returning to the fold, the Tigers maintained control from the outset to win 22-16 (148) to 3-5 (23).

Four goals to one in the first term sent the Tigers on their way, with a six goal third term ensuring they would enter the second half in control.

Five goals to two in the third term put the result beyond doubt and the Tigers kept the foot on the throat, booting seven goals to nil in the final term.

Lewis finished with six goals while Jackson Ventura, Daniel Vela, Joshua Brown, Sean Dwyer, Brad Harding and Tyler Guan were also among the best.

Nyora were best served by Andrew Dike, Travis Stewart, Lachie Fievez, Nick Fairbank, Jack Rosenow and Kallon Rigby.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Yarragon 5.4.34
Ellinbank 9.13.67

The mission for Ellinbank on Saturday was simple.

Travel to Yarragon and come home with the four points to maintain their four-point advantage and put them in the box seat to secure another finals appearance.

It proved simple in theory but a much more difficult prospect in practice, with the improving Panthers challenging the Ellinbank side to the finish.

It took a final term return of 3-3 to no score to put Yarragon away, Ellinbank scoring 9-13 (67) to 5-4 (34) to move a step closer to finals football.

The Panthers were well and truly in the contest to the final change. They cut a 16-point quarter time margin to five at the long break and turned for home just 12-points in arrears.

Tom Dovaston booted three goals to the final change with the likes of Sage Tapner, Harrison Perry, Tyler Payroli, Lachlan Shaw and Damian Allison seeing the home side pose a constant threat.

With coach Ben Wragg returning to the side and plenty on the line, the Eagles finished strongly to ward off the threat.

Anthony Battista booted three goals with Liam Anderson, Gaige White, Bryce Joyce, Daniel Risol and Timothee Mashado also helping the Eagles press to victory.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Buln Buln 13.8.86
Longwarry 8.5.53

A six goal second term proved the difference as Buln Buln overcame on otherwise determined Longwarry.

A pulsating first term which realised 4-2 apiece set the tone for an enticing clash, only for the Lyrebirds to respond with a second quarter blast to open the buffer it needed to come away with the result.

It was the Crows who would score first, Braydon McHugh pressure to catch Baker to put the first on the board.

A reprieve through a 50-metre penalty saw the home side respond, only for the Crows to hit back through a long shot from Jake Stewart which bounced over the pack.

Lachlan Axford took the advantage through the middle as the goal for goal nature of the contest continued. Shaun Beecroft sent the ball towards Sam Batson, who won a free kick from the contest and converted.

At the other end it was Brad Martin who found Jake Serong on the lead, his long shot clearing the line for a goal.

A snap from Cam McPhan cleared the pack to level the scores before the Lyrebirds edged ahead, adding another goal from the pack.

Ryan Wouters won a free kick from the boundary throw in and duly converted, the Crows heading into quarter time squared and threatening to pinch another result.

Russell Lehman, Angus Adamiak, Martin, Jedd Serong, Wouters and Jackson Caddy in the ruck were having an influence for the Crows. The Lyrebirds would show their class after the break, adding six goals to one.

A McPhan snap from the front of the pack saw the home side edge ahead before a late quarter surge.

A long goal from Matt Gray began a free flowing end to the term, followed by a running goal set up by Thomas Park.

The Crows hit back with a long goal of their own, only for the Lyrebirds to respond with the next three.

McPhan went long with Reece Campbell providing a shepherd at the line before McPhan again backed himself from long range.

Matthew Stevens marked on the lead and put one through on the siren as the Lyrebirds opened a 28-point advantage at the long break.

McPhan would follow up a snap with another lead to convert the first after the break, with the Lyrebirds able to control the contest from there.

A long goal from Ben Cuckson gave the Crows some hope, only for Jackson Kos and Bob McCallum to combine with Reece Campbell for a running goal at the other end.

Jake Herbel ventured forward and took a strong mark for Buln Buln’s 13th. The likes of McPhan, Batson, Axford, Campbell, Gray and another good game from Brandon Allen helped put the home side in a winning position.

Jedd Serong converted from the pocket to finish the third term before McHugh converted from the lead for the only major of the final term in a dour finish to the contest.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Nilma Darnum 3.3.21
Trafalgar 28.19.187

Coming off a disappointing result against Buln Buln the week prior, Trafalgar were presented an opportunity to get their game back in order.

A big win over Nilma-Darnum was just what the doctor ordered, the Bloods prevailing 28-19 (187) to 3-3 (21).

A nine goal first term ensured they would be never headed, with seven goals in the second seeing the Bloods break the 100.

The Bombers responded in the third term with two goals, only for the Bloods to put through six of their own. A six goal final term capping a strong result.

Damian Mann led the scoring with nine goals with Matthew Van Schajik, Jace Butler, Jackson Noonan, Dylan Farrell, Blake Radford and Matthew Swenson also prominent.

Nilma-Darnum’s best were Nick Carrigy, Nathan Campbell, Oxley Huson, Malcolm Hunter, Munashe Munjoma and Garry Hallam.

Match review via Warragul Drouin Gazette, written by Davyd Reid.

Leongatha 19.15.129
Maffra 6.7.43
A match review of this game can be viewed online via South Gippsland Sentinel Times here.

Moe 13.11.89
Drouin 10.16.76

The Lions played out a competitive match against the Hawks, and eventually won.

Very little separated the sides, in what was a match that never reached any great heights, but kept spectators interested as a clear winner was not set in stone until late in the game.

Drouin took a 10-point lead into the main break, before becoming undone by a familiar face.

As fate would have it, former Hawk Matt Barrand tore the game apart early in the third quarter, kicking three goals in five minutes. Barrand’s purple patch saw him end the day with five goals for Moe, while skipper Jacob Wood’s desperation during the last quarter led to the sealing goal.

Pleasingly for Moe, three players who will essentially be future leaders of the club were all in the top four players.

Trent Baldi was best-on-ground, continuing a breakout season that has seen him listed in the best eight times. Harri Sim was also in the best again, and also took his tally to eight

Vice captain Scott Van Dyk and former captains James Blaser and Ben Morrow did a good job for the winners. Blaser kicked four goals, Van Dyk stopped just as many, and Morrow wasn’t far from either around the ground.

A Drouin player who did prove hard to stop was Ryan Maric.

The youngster ran amok in the forward line, and kicked six goals in a best-on-ground display.

While the effort was outstanding enough, it was even more astounding considering he already played a game in the Under 18s earlier in the day.

With the Hawks already signing a new coach in Brett Clinnick for next season, he will surely want to get Maric’s name sign, sealed and delivered as soon as possible.

Jack Fraser, Jarrod Marshall, Jordan Kingi, Ryan Taylor and Joseph Collins were others to play well for Drouin.

Match review via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin.

Boolarra 9.7.61
Newborough 15.9.99

The Demons’ loss to Mirboo North just a week ago, certainly meant the pressure had intensified on Boolarra as they welcomed an inform Newborough side to their home turf for a clash to have a major impact on their season, no matter which way the result fell.

Win, and second position was a possibility. Lose, and they would be confronted with the reality of a further fall down the table.

Newborough got the knife into the Demons early, gave it a turn late and now Boolarra has some questions to answer. Newborough scored 15.9-99 to defeat Boolarra 9.7-61.

“We planned and prepared like a final, because for us it was the opportunity to take the higher, smoother road and a double chance, or lose and take the harder rougher road to a grand final,” Newborough coach Craig Skinner said. “Boolarra was our road block, and after kicking the first two goals, it was game on early.”

“Josh Pearce stepped up, and eight goals later with a good four quarter game against a top four side, we now have a hungry team that believe in themselves as much as I do. We now look forward to showing just what Newborough stand for when we meet Tarwin in the finals,” Skinner said.

With finals now just one week away, contenders like Boolarra need to get their house in order or be faced with an early exit.

“First quarter was pretty even and from then on Newborough’s run and carry started to cut us up,” Boolarra coach Tony Giardina reflected. “To the boys’ credit, they fought out the last quarter and didn’t let the scoreboard get blown out. But next weekend, we need to get back on the winners’ list before finals time”.

Just how the top six will finish up will not be determined until Saturday at 5pm, adding an extra layer of intrigue for supporters and an intense week of preparation for all coaches involved.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Foster 13.14.92
Stony Creek 9.11.65

It seemed like it was going to be an interesting day down at the Foster showground, with the rumble in the jungle between the Lions and the Tigers.
Foster was looking to lock down a top four position coming into finals, while the Creek were hoping a win today could keep the finals dream alive for them.
From the first bounce, Foster showed why they were a top contender for a final hunt this year, with a large amount of early pressure on the young Creek backs.
But they turned the tide themselves, putting some pressure back on the kicking from the forwards, causing some missed opportunities.
Stony, however, weren’t helping themselves either at the other end with some wayward kicking from set shots not helping them on the scoreboard.
It took 15 minutes for Foster to find their opener, and they looked to put the jets on after that, kicking another three in quick succession to lead by 20 at the first break. It didn’t take long for Foster to try to extend their margin, kicking their first of the second very early off some good kicking from Michael Green, one of his four for the day.
The battle in the midfield also intensifying, with the contest between Darcy Atkins for the Creek and Billy Flavelle for Foster showing some smart kicking and ball movement.
However, the third didn’t pan out like the home crowd would have like, with Stony coach, Jay Accardi, obviously putting the fire under his team.
Coming out like a bull at the gate, backed up by some solid defensive pressure from the likes of Jacob Byrnes and Troy Sinclair, they were able to claw back the margin, cutting it in half, while keeping Foster scoreless.
Leading the charge was Dylan Zuidema, who patrolled the 50 well, and kicked very straight to record six for the day himself.
Coming into the last break, the wind was behind the Creek and with only 17 points the margin, it was still up in the air.
Foster however, to their credit, put plans into place and showed their structure again in the last, showing the team they had been before the third.
High midfield pressure coupled with some good forward attack game the home side an extra five scoring shots for the last quarter, which they used to their advantage.
The Creek never stopped battling in the last, but they were outdone by a team that has its sights on a premiership this year.

Match review via South Gippsland Sentinel Times.

Mirboo North 9.20.74
Morwell East 10.4.64
Following another ‘turn-up for the books’ on Saturday afternoon, it was party time all night long at Tigerland — when Mirboo North, celebrated its 130-year anniversary after a 10-point victory over finals-bound Morwell East.
The previous two weeks had seen Mirboo North clean-up against the odds, when it prevailed over Yinnar and Boolarra in close finishes.
To mark the day’s historical significance, Mirboo North’s players wore a replica heritage purple and gold strip that the club took into battle for part of the 1970s and 1980s.
Mirboo North had seven teenagers in its side, one of whom was Lachie Dight, who was playing his first senior game for the mighty Tigers — after earning promotion with consistently good form in the reserves.
Nearly 100 past players — that included 1956 senior premiership winger Bert Bright and 1956 reserves flag defender Maurie Briscoe— joined the bumper crowd that saw the visitors kick the first goal after three minutes of intense hustle and bustle between the arcs.
Also keenly watching the action were Mick Mills and Neil Breeden from Mirboo North’s 1966 senior premiership team — which knocked over Wonthaggi a week before St Kilda’s famous one-point win against Collingwood gave the Saints their only AFL flag to date.
At quarter-time, Mirboo North held a 17-point advantage over the Hawks after making it patently obvious and blatantly apparent it had come to play a blindingly quick, pressurized brand of uncompromising, team-orientated football.
The only thing holding the Tigers back was inaccurate kicking, where after 15 minutes of forward-line domination in the second quarter, they led 5.10 to 1.1 on the electronic scoreboard.
It was at about this time a Morwell East supporter was worried the nuances of Mirboo North’s sloping oval were becoming a bit of a nuisance for some of the Hawks.
Anywhere anyone looked, Mirboo North’s fast running, clean ball handling and relentless work rate were destroying the fabric of Morwell East’s faltering game plan.
Liam Nash, Joel Lambourn, Hudson Kerr, Damien Turner, Harry Mahoney, Ben Campbell and Joe Brooks were on top of their Morwell East opponents and but for costly misses in front of goal, Mirboo North would have had the match wrapped up well before half-time.
As often happens in footy, the Hawks wrested the initiative from the Tigers with a goal from Matt Cunningham and a couple more by Nick Grainger.
As a result, a possible slide into oblivion had been arrested and Mirboo North’s 33-point lead was reduced to 15 points at the main break.
During the third quarter, the experience and knowhow of seasoned Morwell East campaigners, Brendan Evans, Frank Marks, Eric Semmler, Lucas Towns and Joel Soutar came to the fore — as the Tigers’ mistakes mounted and free kicks started going the Hawks’ way.
When Soutar received a 50-metre penalty and slammed through Morwell East’s seventh goal, shortly before the Hawks added another major, Mirboo North was suddenly eight points in arrears.
All of coach Josh Taylor’s carefully-laid plans seemed to be going astray, but a defiant snap by Nash from close range, reduced Mirboo North’s deficit to two points at the last change.
The Tigers were doing most of the attacking early in the final term, with a run of four consecutive behinds, but a clever conversion from Lachy Day put Morwell East a goal in front.
A quick reply from Lambourn following a tidy chest mark, tied up the scores again.
Deep into time-on and with forced stoppages aplenty, Mirboo North desperately clung to a four-point lead from consecutive behinds, as it locked the Sherrin into its attacking 50.
Then somehow, the ball came out, but Morwell East’s final flurry was stopped in its tracks when Turner’s block behind the centre circle, won him a free kick and a 50-metre penalty to boot.
From 40 metres directly in front of the big white sticks, the Mirboo North skipper’s left-foot drop punt spun and swung its way left-to-right over the goal umpire’s head and the Tigers were home.
Match review via multiple publications, written by Rover.

Toora 13.6.84
Tarwin 24.8.152

As courageous as Toora have been for most of the season, this particular contest was always going to be a bridge too far for the Magpies.

Up against an in-form and top of the ladder Tarwin, the Sharks needed to fine tune their already impressive game style ahead of a premiership quest that had been building for quite a period of time.

Tarwin ran out winners, 24.8-152 to Toora 13.6-84.

Tarwin coach Troy Hemming said his team got the start they wanted, but Toora replied in the second.

“As I mentioned pre-game, Toora at Toora is always more challenging,” Hemming said. “They played pretty well and are well respected from Tarwin.”

Tarwin are rightful premiership favourites after an impressive season. At the other end of the table, Toora, to their credit, have never shirked the challenges thrown at them throughout the year.

Toora coach Matthew Ponton said the game was a special occasion with Peter Kat Grant’s 300th game.

“Up against the top team in Tarwin, we knew it was going to be a tough game, but our players showed fight and competitive play all day which was pleasing to watch and for our fans,” Ponton said. “It was a super effort for Katta to kick four goals while our best players included Peter Grant, Jack Weston and Mason O’Sullivan.

Just one round remains for Toora, but no one doubts that season 2023 will be a better one.

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

Yinnar 23.14.152
Meeniyan Dumbalk United 10.7.67

Yinnar has somehow managed to keep their season alive despite a series of losses of less than a kick over the past few months.

However, there was no mistaking this was a must-win game. They would also be relying on other results falling their way to provide an unlikely opportunity to steal a top six spot in the very last round of the year.

In the end, Yinnar got everything they wanted, winning 23.14-152 to MDU 10.7-67.

“Great to be back on the winners’ list after losing three games straight by under a kick,” Yinnar coach Daniel Taylor said. “Best football we’ve played all year by far, we used the ball well, our pressure was also right up early on which got the game on our terms. MDU showed some fight after half-time which we knew they would. I thought they cracked in all day, but we jumped them at the start and they never really had a chance to get back in the game.”

MDU coach Peter Harris says they were completely outclassed by a better side in the first half.

“Turnovers in the back half made the task even harder for us,” Harris said. “If Yinnar get in the six, they’ll be dangerous for anyone that comes up against them.”

Match review via multiple publications, written by Rob Popplestone.

BYE: Fish Creek, Hill End, Thorpdale.

All match reviews via Latrobe Valley Express/Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin

Woodside 18.23.131
Cowwarr 3.5.23

The Wildcats, headed for an elimination showdown with Yarram in a fortnight’s time, dismissed Cowwarr with relative ease.

Taking to their home deck, Woodside led at every change.
A frugal defence highlighted the day, while there was plenty of attack from the men in the hoops, but not a great deal of accuracy as they peppered the goal face.

Fortunately for the Saints this inaccuracy softened the impact on the scoreboard, and kept them off the bottom of the ladder for the time being.

A seven goal second quarter was the Wildcats best, and they only allowed Cowwarr to add 1.3 (9) in the second half.

David Waddell kicked six goals and Ryan Foat five for Woodside.

Foat was best-on-ground, followed by Hamish McLeod, Waddell, Trent Askew, Lee Stockdale and Jeremy Morgan.

Ben Coffey, Jack Casson, Nick Wozniak, Braden Johnston, Matt Bourke and Kyle Stamers put in determined efforts for Cowwarr.

Heyfield 8.12.60
Glengarry 9.18.72

The Magpies again showed they might be a team that makes a climb up the ladder next season, after defeating Heyfield by 12 points.

Following last week’s victory against Sale City, Glengarry was able to make it back-to-back wins over credible opposition by defeating the Kangaroos.

Only six points separated the sides at the final break, but the visiting Magpies found a way to grind out a character building 9.18 (72) to 8.12 (60) victory.

Lachlan Jewell played well for Glengarry, as did Travis Patten, Jack Burgess, Declan Massaro, Ben Britten and Michael Ryan.

Best for Heyfield was Liam Heasley, Adam Wallace, Brayden Woodland, Tom Marchesi, Shaun Humphreys and Bailey Escreet.

Rosedale 6.8.44
Yarram 18.11.119

The Demons make the trip to the town of two pubs and two bakeries, and left with the four points.

Yarram blew the game open in the first quarter, slamming on nine goals.

From there, they were able to put the game in cruise-control, and see the contest through to the end.

Corbin Sutherland, Anthony Scott and Josh Swift all had solid returns in front of goal, nabbing five, four and four respectively.

Boadie Motton was best for the Demons, and had a few mates in Tate Chisolm, Louis Rodaughan, Liam Bentley, Dan Vardy and Tyler Chisholm help him out.

Will Logan played a lone hand for Rosedale, kicking four goals.

Luke Stuckey, Ryan Burns, Declan Barnett, Riley Atlee and Rohan Hilderbrand battled hard.

Yallourn Yallourn North 18.14.122
Churchill 12.9.81

Both sides entered the match with a double-chance sewn up, and eager to get a psychological edge on their opponent in anticipation for a likely finals encounter.

Having lost to the Cougars earlier in the season, there was some discussion surrounding whether or not the Jets had grown as a team from that day, or had simply beaten up on weaker opponents in the time since.

Any such doubts were surely extinguished at the final siren, after a fast-finishing YYN won 18.14 (122) to 12.9 (81).

The Jets slammed on six goals to one in the last quarter at home, and will take the minor premiership into the finals series.

The match was an arm-wrestle up until three quarter time, with the biggest margin at any of the first three breaks just six points.

With a few question marks over the Cougars’ depth this season, the grind of a hard game such as this eventually took its toll, and YYN was able to capitalise.

Jai Massese was instrumental in the win, taking out best-on-ground honours.

Massese has been a model of consistency in 2022, named in the best 11 out of 15 games.

Others to perform well for the Jets were James De Virgilio, Dylan Bath, Campbell MacInnes, Allan Norris and Braden Paulet.

Key forward Ben Kearns was best for Churchill, while Chris Wangman impacted the scoreboard with five goals.

Calen Hill, Jordan Fenech, Rhys Luxford and Joey Whykes also did a good job.

Sale City 29.26.200
Gormandale 4.5.29

With no finals to play for, the Bulldogs set about kicking a massive score on their home deck – and that is precisely what they did.

Just like Jason Gillespie, Sale City reached the double ton just before the final siren, with their effort reading 29.26 (200) to 4.5 (29).

As they have done all season, the Tigers fought valiantly, but could not contain Bulldog forwards Ben Brett, Mitch Evans and Blake Safstron, who kicked 18 goals between them.

Brett took player-of-the-match honours, while Safstrom and Evans weren’t far behind.

Jack Kirkham, Sam Davidson and Cam Green found plenty of the ball.

Kodie Owen, Liam Deeing, Tyler Kanara, Mitch Jones, Trent Baldwin and Jereme Lazaris soldiered on for Gormandale.

Lindenow 16.18.114
Boisdale Briagolong 9.5.59

The Bombers competed in the first half against Lindenow, but dropped off completely on the resumption.

At half-time the margin was a manageable 32-points in favour of the Cats, but this bled out to 55 at the final siren.

The Bombers didn’t manage a goal in the third quarter, but were at least able to win the last quarter .

Kel Porter was his industrious self for the travelling red and blacks. Daniel Johnson, Billy Marshall, Ben Wilkinson, Paddy Mack and Sam Bedggood were others to ‘have a dip’.

Luke Dyer kicked five goals, while Rohan Blandford kicked three.

Stephen Henshaw was best for the Cats, along with Blandford, Kevin Bongers, Matt Irish, Ash Gould and Kyle Holmes.

Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin

Lucknow 13.15.93
Paynesville 4.4.28
Lucknow controlled its match against Paynesville all day, comfort-ably winning by 65 points. Young gun Jackson Smith was again among the goals with four, while the mercurial Darren Allen, Ryan Halford and Dallas Smith all contributed two each. Lucknow coach Grant Mooney was all smiles post game as his charges continue to show signs of peaking at just the right time. Tom Southern was again unstoppable across half back, Jesse Glassborrow continued his rich vein of form in the middle, with other key contributors were Ry Mutimer, James Sanford and Joel McNamara, who is putting together an outstanding season. Best players for Paynesville were the creative Ben McKinnon, hard man Caleb Holland, Beau Haslam, Nick Pincott (two goals) and hard nosed defender Daniel Jones.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.

Orbost Snowy Rovers 10.14.74
Lakes Entrance 10.13.73
Lakes Entrance and Orbost Snowy Rovers was the match of round 17, with the Blues getting over the line by a point at Orbost. Orbost Snowy Rovers (OSR) was dominant early as Lakes Entrance struggled to combat the loss of experienced duo, coach Tom Smith and goal kicking legend, James Gibbs, neither coming up after the torrid season defining loss to Lindenow last week The Blues kept the Seagulls goalless in the first term to lead by 15 points at the first change. Lakes found its mojo in the second term to narrow the half time gap to just eight points. A five-goal to three effort in the third term saw the Seagulls turn for home with a hard earned four-point break, the game there for the taking.
In an epic last quarter, it was the Blues who did the majority of the attacking, their eight shots on goal yielding one goal, seven behinds. The Seagulls only registered one goal, two behinds from three shots. A goal from defender, Jessie Pescod, was the only major in a frantic last 25 minutes. Wes Russell, who kicked three goals and was one of his side’s best players, booted the behind to unlock the scores alter receiving a free kick for holding in front of the club rooms. Good players for Lakes were Jarred Matthews (three goals), John Hooper, consistent pair Jarred McDonnell and Sam Nickless. while Ben Crittenden and Josh Piper both kicked two goals each. Best players for Orbost were Pescod, Russell, Jarrah Nettleton, Clancy Bennett and Jordan Ross.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.

Stratford 7.8.50
Wy Yung 12.12.84

Needing a win to sew up a double-chance, Stratford and Wy Yung went head-to-head on the Swans’ home deck.

The match looked set to be a high-scoring affair, as eight goals were kicked in the opening term.

The Tigers built a four-goal buffer during the second quarter, which it was able to use to keep the Swans at bay for the rest of the match.

Stratford was still in with a chance at three quarter time, but an anticlimactic last quarter saw both sides only manage two goals.

In the end, the Swans had to accept a defeat.

Despite the result, Stratford won’t be overly concerned, as turning around a six goal margin is more than doable.

Zane Perkins was again in the best for Stratford, while Alex Morcom, Haydn Erfurth, Gavin Bickery, Liam Cunningham and Reegan Tait were serviceable.

Luke Elia, Jobe Somerville, Jock Overend, Brad Daniel, Dylan Somerville and Mitch Toms stood out for Wy Yung.

Match review via Gippsland Times, written by Liam Durkin

Swan Reach 9.5.59
Omeo Benambra 7.10.52
Swan Reach returned to form on Saturday scoring a hard-earned seven-point victory over Omeo Benambra in the Omeo and District Football League elimination semi final at Swifts Creek. It came at a significant cost, with exciting full forward Lucky Whelan suffering a ham-string injury late in the final quarter, of which he required to trainers to chair him from the ground. Even with this week off as Swills Creek and Lindenow South go head-to-head for a place in the grand final, Whelan will likely join the ODFL’s leading goalkicker Brandon Scott on the sidelines for the preliminary final. Scott was suspended for two weeks last Tuesday night for from a match last month when the Swans were beaten at home by Swifts Creek. A healthy crowd, which contributed to a record ODFL elimination final gate, watched an epic game of contested ODFL football with the more efficient side winning the contest. Omeo Benambra kicked the first point of the match at the two minute mark and when the Swans power forward Charles Solomon kicked his first goal from a strong one-handed mark in the square, Swan Reach found the front and they never gave up that advantage.
The Alpine Ranges had plenty of chances throughout the contest and went inside 50 on 12 more occasions, however they didn’t have the twin targets forward like the Swans did in Solomon and Whelan. Solomon kicked three goals in the first quarter, while Whelan was equally as dangerous when the ball was in the air or on the ground. He kicked three goals in the second and third quarters. Solomon and Whelan both created numerous crumbing opportunities for Tyler Hood (two goals), Matt Marsden and company. Omeo Benambra tried Aaron Cameron forward early, who looked dangerous but struggled to convert. He became more of a scoring option when moved to half forward in the second half, kicking three nice long goals. Alpine Ranges coach Cody Graske went forward in the second half but he snuggled to make an impact, looking restricted by his injured knee. The game was still anyone’s at three quarter time and when Noah Willis goaled for the Ranges at the four-minute mark it was game on. Shortly after young Alpine Ranges defender Tyler Betts, who had a done an outstanding job in blanketing Solomon after quarter time, was pinged for holding ball 15 metres out from the Swan Reach goal after an outstanding Tyler Hood tackle. He converted to make the margin seven points. For the next 16 minutes the ball went up and back, the Ranges trying every thing to muster a goal, but time and time again the Swans defence held firm. Both sides were only able to score two points each in that tight final 15 minutes. Swan Reach hung on to win and keep the dream alive.
Best players for Swan Reach were coach Joel Waters, the hard-running Jack Mills, Jesse Guamaccia, Bronson Ritchie, Tyler Hood, William Addison and Solomon.
Match review via Bairnsdale Advertiser.



Warragul Industrials 9.6.60
Bass Coast Breakers 1.4.10

Warragul Industrials: Michaela Williams, Jess Szalek, Kristy Ingham, Carlee Maher, Nicole Sheridan, Matilda Van Berkel
Bass Coast: Chelsea Connell, Stacey Poke, Kelly O’Neill, Hannah Mills, Lisa Scharnberg, Tayla Tatterson

Warragul Industrials: Shanara Notman 3, Samara Beaton Amy Heath Grace McRae Matilda Van Berkel Michaela Williams Renee Young 1.
Bass Coast: Kelly O’Neill 1.



Warragul Industrials Development Team 0.2.2
Cerberus 9.3.57

BEST: Not available

Lang Lang 15.14.104
Hastings 1.2.8

BEST: Ebony Whitworth, Layla Bunting, Stefanie Harper, Emily Lesjak, Cait van Dord
GOALS: Kelly Cerra Hayley Dyer Ebony Whitworth 3, Nicole Cicciari Unknown Player 2, Marie Cicciari Stacie Clarke 1.



Moe-Newborough 11.12.78
Foster 4.0.24


Moe-Newborough: Charli Abbott, Briony Stoneham, Lynette Patten, Kaitlyn Ferguson, Taylor Dow, Jessica Skehan
Foster: Bonnie-Rose Waters, Lois Rodger, Annabel Davies, Rachael Francis, Katie Jones, Chloe Dodd


Moe-Newborough: Charli Abbott 4, Nikia Webber 3, Danielle Davies 2, Lynette Patten Jessica Skehan 1.
Foster: Stella Brewer Katie Jones Sophie Prain Bonnie-Rose Waters 1.

BYE: Lindenow South



Click the image to find out more

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.

Click the images to visit our social media platforms: