THERE was a lot to like about the endeavour of Kilcunda-Bass’ band of developing youngsters, at least early in their match against the visiting Bunyip Bulldogs on Saturday, but the tourists were simply too good on the day.
The Bulldogs got the first centre break via their ruckman to onballer-forward Brent Heus, who had an absolute day out kicking eight goals but only a point resulted this time and it was Panthers’ stalwart Damian Holmes who scored the first goal of the game.
He made good position to take advantage of some attacking play by Jake Weightman and Alex Kerr and from about 35 metres out, squeeze off a kick between two Bunyip defenders to get the maximum result.
For the next 10 minutes, Kilcunda-Bass played its best football of the day with plenty of players making a contribution.
Jake Smith worked hard for a number of possessions out on the wing, Hayden Spierings, James Phillips and Jake Calvert linked up well while Weightman continued to be busy on the ball or when changing at half forward.
However, a Killy-Bass player was caught in a tackle on the half forward line, when there were some first options to be tried, and Bunyip ran the ball up the other end for a goal; Anthony Young hitting Heus laces out with a nice pass on the lead.
Spierings earned a free and 50 metre penalty for Bass soon after but his shot fell short and Bunyip swept the ball away with ease.
Up forward Heus had a one-two with team mate Ricky Clark before missing from point-blank range but he was looking dangerous coming away from the stoppages and unmanned up forward.
Bunyip could have easily had three more goals before Dowie hit Allen on the lead to get the goal-side of the board ticking over for them.
Mitch Whitham saved a certain goal with a spearing punch but a Bunyip forward was there to kick their third.
Panthers’ ruck Riley Scapin was up for the challenge at the next centre bounce but despite giving silver service to Sean Casey, he had to butter up and try to get the crumbs himself. Bunyip’s Walker broke clear as a result and took a long-range shot.
Killy-Bass’ defenders and onballers were rebounding the ball well but Bunyip’s defenders including Allen on Kerr and O’Halloran on Bradley were simply too slick for a slow group of Panthers’ forwards who couldn’t apply the necessary forward pressure.
Another goal to Bunyip, followed by one to Anthony Young and they had taken full control by quarter time, and went on with the job.
How Bunyip has only won two other games so far this season is something of a mystery given that performance. They looked a class above Killy-Bass on the day.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Kooweerup predictably gave the visiting Dalyston a right old touch-up in a battle of the haves versus the have nots at Denhams Road.
The Demons piled on 14 first-half goals and had 23 scoring shots altogether over the first two quarters as they blew the Magpies out of the sky in the early going. Dalyston had no answer for KWR onballer Mitch Collins, who continually moved the ball forward to the likes of Jason Wells.
From there the margin continued to blow out as the Demons claimed an eventual 141-point, percentage boosting win 27.16 (178) to 5. 7 (37).
Star Koo Wee Rup small forward Jason Wells finished with his biggest haul of goals in a red and blue jumper so far with nine surpassing the bags of eight he kicked against Dalyston in Round 4 and Bunyip in Round 7. Nathan Voss was also lethal in front of goal, booting seven, while Luke Walker (three goals) and Bailey Galante also had a telling impact.
For Dalyston, youngsters Josh Thomas and Connor O'Halloran got a senior run, while milestone men Joe Alexander and Declan Kelly played their 100th and 50th senior games respectively.
Russell Bennett - Pakenham Gazette

and Gippsland Footy admin

Cora Lynn moved a step closer to securing a finals berth in the West Gippsland Football Competition, defeating premiership hopefuls Nar Nar Goon in an upset.

A barnstorming final quarter of six goals to two saw the Cobras power home to win 10-13 (73) to 8-11 (59) after trailing for the majority of the contest.

The top of the table Goon had maintained a narrow advantage at each of the breaks and turned for home with a 10-point lead, only for it to come crashing down. The loss saw Nar Nar Goon fall to second on the ladder and into a fight for the coveted top spot that brings a weeks break to begin the finals series.

Cora Lynn’s victory moved it closer to fifth placed rivals Garfield. Travis Woodfield kicked three goals for Cora Lynn, with Jaxon Briggs fresh off his winning appearance with Victoria Country also leading the charge home. They were supported by William Thomas, Heath Briggs, Tim Payne, Jeremy Monckton and Shaun Sparks.

Trent Noy, Mitch Virtue, Brendann Hermann, Trent Armour, Jed Ould and Sam Blackwood put the Goon in a position to win the game before the final quarter fade out.

Waaragul & Drouin Gazette

Phillip Island secured an important win over Garfield on Saturday.
It was a big game for Phillip Island. Not only was it fighting to retain its spot on the ladder, but it was also Marcus Wright and Mark Griffin’s 100th club game for the Bulldogs. Both Wright and Griffin were in fine form and earned a spot in Phillip Island’s best after the siren.
The first quarter was a fairly even affair, and the Bulldogs knew they would have to dig deep to get away from their opponent. Garfield kicked the first two goals of the game, but Phillip Island managed to respond. Two points separated the teams heading into the second quarter.
Phillip Island came into the second term determined to play its own style of footy, which worked in its favour. Phillip Island worked better with the ball and created more stoppages. The Bulldogs stormed ahead, leaving Garfield with the challenge to catch up.
Although the Bulldogs pulled away with an 80 point win, it was a tough game for both sides and the Island couldn’t drop its momentum all game. Billy Taylor played his third Senior game with Phillip Island on the day, and worked well on the half forward flank. Leigh Warne was too strong for Garfield in the back line.
The Great Southern Star

Ladder leaders Inverloch-Kongwak had put their stamp of authority on the home match against an improving Korumburra-Bena Giants by half time on Saturday, with a five goal to one burst in the second quarter. But the Giants had been matching them in general play and took it right up to them at the start of the third quarter. They were first into attack out of the centre through Josh Hill and Ben Fitzpatrick and they got reward for good forward pressure when Beau Anthony ran on to the ball and banged it through. They had Mannyy Jakwot, Fitzpatrick, Hill, Fitzgerald and Cam Trewin opposed to Michael Eales or Conor Cunningham with Reid, Soumilas and the likes of Miller opposed to each other on the ball and initially had the best of it to start the second half.
Trewin was trying to go with Soumilas and for a while he was able to nullify him. Celebrine and McMillan crafted a chance but only a point resulted and the IK onballers were getting back to help the defenders as the Giants pressed. Nick Besley was having a good battle with Shem Hawking out on the wing, Dylan Clark was back playing and not getting it all his own way against Zach Walker and there was a fair bit to like about the Giants' approach, albeit without hitting the scoreboard.
Their onballers and flankers were full of run and Matt Edwards was leading a good response in defence. But ultimately IK got their game rolling again and it was a long searching run by Louie Rankin off half back, during which he gave and received the ball four times; ending in a goal to Tom Wyatt which kick-started their game again.
Only seconds later Miller and McCaughan combined for another and the lead was out to five. Jakwot took the ball out of the air in the ruck to drive the Giants forward again but it was Rankin who twice returned fire with pace and daring off half back, only to be caught on the second burst, handing a late goal to Rhys Dixon with a long shot. It had been a two-goal to three quarter and more good signs from the Giants.
IK went on to win the match comfortably with a six goal to one finish and appeared to have close to a full list with which to press on into the finals. But the Giants can certainly say they’ve made great strides in 2018 notwithstanding the fact they ran the Sea Eagles to eight points at home earlier in the season.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times


Website: | Twitter:


Kilcunda-Bass v Bunyip match review taken from article published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original article online in full visit

Phillip Island v Garfield match review taken from article published by The Great Southern Star. To view original article on full online subscribe to The Great Southern Star here

Koo Wee Rup v Dalyston match review taken from article written by Russell Bennett reporting for Pakenham Gazette. To view original article in full online subscribe to Pakenham Gazette here

Nar Nar Goon v Cora Lynn match review taken from article published by Warragul & Drouin Gazette. To view original article in full online subscribe to Warragul & Drouin Gazette here

Inverloch-Kongwak v Korumburra-Bena match review taken from article published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original article in full online subscribe to South Gippsland Sentinel Times here

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.