POOWONG travelled to Buln Buln hoping for four wins on the trot and managed to get over the line by eight points.
The positive for the club was wins in the U16s, U18s and the Reserves; something that has not been achieved for a while.
The day was cold early; however it did improve during the day. Conditions were slippery and players struggled to turn. All Poowong teams wore black arm bands in remembranceof Stuart McCraw, a valued Poowong committeeman.
Poowong kicked to the road end and started with two points before Buln Buln replied with two goals and moved the ball well. Poowong took the ball forward and Trevor Hooker kicked Poowong‘s first. However, Buln Buln replied with a point and then a goal from a free kick, and before the siren added another point from the boundary.
Poowong struggled with the conditions underfoot but the Buln forwards were working harder and made the most of the opportunities. At quarter time, the score was Poowong 1.3.9 Buln Buln 3.4.22.
In the second quarter, both teams worked hard to get the ball forward as the defences of both teams held firm. Poowong managed three quick goals; Michael Harris marked and kicked straight followed by a free kick to Brad Curtain resulting in the second, and the third came from a good pass out of the centre to Jack Hazendonk who kicked truly.
Buln Buln was getting a fair bit of the ball out of the centre but managed only three points before it kicked its fourth but Hooker kicked Poowongs fifth from the boundary to lead by two points at half time. Going into the long break, the score was Poowong 5.3.33 to Buln Buln 4.7.31.
Poowong was without Ben Hancock after half time with a hamstring injury. The coach made some moves switching Michael Harris into the ruck to try and get first use of the ball and with Chris Robinson and Jayden Sullivan playing great games Poowong was a great chance.
Poowong opened with a point before Buln Buln goaled but a great kick from Robinson on the boundary resulted in a goal. Another goal to Hooker from a free kick and a strong tackle by Hazendonk resulted in his second.  This was followed by a rushed point and a goal to Hooker from a mark on the boundary. Poowong was suddenly out to a 21 point lead but Buln Buln kicked there sixth from the boundary to reduce the margin to 15 points at three quarter time. Into the last quarter, the score was Poowong 9.5.59 to Buln Buln 6.8.44.
Fans were in for a great last quarter and both sides were working hard but Poowong managed a point from a mark to Trevor Hooker. Following this, Hooker took a great mark under pressure which resulted in Poowong’s 10th and his fifth. Another point came from a strong mark by Hooker on the boundary and the margin was out to 22 points. Buln Buln was not giving up and added a goal from a free kick followed by a point, a poster and a snap goal and suddenly it was game on. Poowong, through some good tackles and smothers around the ground, held on to win by eight points. The final score was Poowong 10.7.67 defeating Buln Buln 8.11.59.
The Great Southern Star

Catani dominated from start to finish to record a resounding 17.8 (110) to 6.10 (46) win over Neerim-Neerim South at home.

In a day that was all about Owen Fitzpatrick, the big man didn’t disappoint and put on a show for the Catani faithful.

Needing seven majors to claim his magical 1,000th goal, Fitzpatrick had four to half time, but the Cats sent players back into the hole and double teamed him in the second half. It took until the final few minutes, but Fitzpatrick gave the crowd what they wanted when he took a strong grab and scored the set shot for the milestone goal. He finished the day with eight majors and 1001 career goals in a typical dominant display, while Nic Visser (three goals) and Tom Keily were impressive.

Hayley Wildes

Pakenham Gazette

Nyora Saints have flown to eight wins in a row with a comfortable 43 point win over Ellinbank on Saturday.
In the best start to a season in recent memory, the Saints have continued to improve each week playing hard and uncompromising team football. This week it was Ilan Osman taking centre stage booting a bag of six goals and claiming the best on ground honours.
A fast-paced start has been the key to the Saints’ early success in 2018, nailing four goals to one in the opening term. The work of Shaun Beecroft through the midfield was spectacular and since coming across from Buln Buln has proven to be one of the Saints’ most valuable players.
Another five-goal quarter just added to Ellinbank’s troubles, with Ben Schultz, Aiden Cumberland and that man Osrnan all slotting majors. The lead had stretched to 36 points at half time and the Saints were full of confidence.
The third quarter saw a slight fightback from Ellinbank, with their back six really standing up and restricting Nyora to just the one goal. However, the Eagles couldn’t capitalise on all their opportunities, kicking just the one goal and really missing a chance to close the gap.
Holding a 35-point lead at the final change, it was crucial the Saints didn’t fall into habits from last season and take the foot off the gas. Osman nailed his sixth in the final term and the Saints were able to run out the game in relatively strong fashion. Ben Schultz was the perfect partner for Osman up forward kicking three goals of his own in a top performance. This win sets up an interesting local derby between Nyora and the in-form Poowong who have won their last four games in a row.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times

A strong second half saw Longwarry easily dispose of Lang Lang.

While the Tigers hung in during the first half, the Crows dominated the second half to kick 11 goals to two and run away with it, 18.8 (116) to 6.9 (45) .

Crows coach Daniel Fry enjoyed a day out, booting nine goals, while Braydon McHugh chipped in with three majors.

Nicholas Redley, Jakob Serong, Riley Rundell, Josh Bourke, Troy and Russell Lehman were also prominent in a dominant second half.

Josh Brown, Mark Anderson, Corey Boulton, Ben Barwick and Clint Fulton led a competitive first half for the Tigers.

Warragul and Drouin Gazette

Warragul Industrials didn’t miss the chance to consolidate their position at the top of the ladder, recording a comfortable victory over a gallant Nilma-Darnum.
The game had shaped as a danger one for the Industrials against a much-improved Bomber outfit under new coach Matt Shorey. Alarm bells would have been ringing at quarter time as the Bombers kicked away to a 15 point lead.
The Industrials kicked into gear in the second term, booting five goals to two as they headed to the sheds with a narrow four-point advantage.
Still sensing an opportunity, the Bombers would not go away and a return of five goals to four had them right in it at the final change, trailing by just three points.
With the game on the line, the Industrials sparked to life to run rampant in the final term. It was a disappointing finish for the Bombers, who registered just two behinds while their opponents rammed through six goals to win comfortably in the end, 1616 (112) to 11-7 (73).
Shane Brewster booted six goals, while Jack Blakey chipped in with three majors. Tye Holland, Tyson Bale, Mitch Davies, Josh Peterson and Joel Morgan also led the charge.
Mitchell Dance and Hayden Potts each booted three goals for Nilma-Damum, while Jack Ruddell, James Bourke, Logan Deschepper, Chris Larosa and Ben Campbell helped keep the Bombers in the contest to three-quarter-time.
Warragul and Drouin Gazette


Website: https://www.campingadventuresoz.com.au | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/campingadventuresoz/


Match reviews taken from The Great Southern Star, Pakenham Gazette, South Gippsland Sentinel Times and Warragul and Drouin Gazette.

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.