Despite competitive efforts in recent weeks, Buln Buln were far from convincing in scraping home over Neerim-Neerim South 8-9 (57) to 8-6 (54).
The Lyrebirds had proved competitive for the most part in round one and got within three points in round two, both efforts coming against fancied opposition. However the Cats have been widely tipped to struggle and while a valuable four points have been banked, the prospects of last year’s semi-finalists remain up in the air.
The clubs were competing for the Neerim District Community Bank Challenge Cup, and were up for the contest.
The Cats surprised and took a narrow lead into the first change, and while the Lyrebirds hit the front early in the second term, they couldn’t shake the persistent Cats.
Leading by five points at the final change the Lyrebirds were able to maintain their narrow advantage to hold on by just three points.
Jake Pierrehumbert, coach Matt Gray, James Taylor, Lex Wright, Charlie Park and Simon Dawson helped the Lyrebirds hold on. Nathan Bayne. Jackson Ward, Dane Fawcett, Tim Beaurain and Aaron Fawcett helped keep the Cats in the contest, while Nicholas Castle performed well against his former side.
Warragul & Drouin Gazette

NYORA has leapt to a 3-0 start in season 2018, defeating Catani by 29 points at Catani on Saturday.
The best start to a season in recent memory, the Saints led at every change in another top class performance.
Ben Schultz had a day out for the Saints booting six goals and receiving best on ground honours.
Nyora was on from the first bounce with five opening quarter goals to Catani’s one.
Kallon Rigby and Rhys Bancroft were doing the work at the coalface for the Saints, with their rough and tumble work around the stoppages.
The Blues fought back in the second quarter however, with three quick goals to peg the margin right back.
But the Saints weathered the brief storm before adding a pair of late goals through Schultz and Ilan Osman to push the lead out to 21 points at the main break.
The third quarter saw a slight extension to Nyora’s lead but it never felt as if the Blues were out of the game.
A big credit has to go to the Saints defensive pack who held off numerous Catani attacks in the second half.
The lead was out to 30 points at three quarter time but the Saints couldn’t afford to take their foot off the gas.
The final quarter turned into a bit of slog, with both teams struggling to find targets up forward.
The final siren was close to sounding when Schultz nailed his sixth for the day and the Saints ran away 29 point victors.
The top of the table Saints will host Lang Lang this weekend, as they look to keep this rich vein of form flowing.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Warragul Industrials bounced back from last week’s loss to Longwarry in a big way, comfortably accounting for fellow finals hopeful Ellinbank away from home 12-11 (83) to 4-5 (29).
No doubt seething from last week’s narrow loss from the Crows, the Industrials set up victory in a barnstorming first quarter that realised 5.4 (34) to no score.
The Industrials were on song early, scoring in the first minute. Tyson Bale won a free kick for high contact, clearing the ball to Mitch Davies who found Shane Brewster leading out wide for the first goal of the match.
The shell-shocked Eagles simply couldn’t get a look in during the first term, the Industrials converting from the pocket to soon have their second major on the board.
The Industrials continued to dominate play but could only manage three behinds for their efforts. It took a free kick for a push in the back to break the shackles, with Will Jolley converting the Industrials’ third major against his former club. Jolley would be a constant thorn in the side for his former club, finishing with four goals.
A dropped mark from the Eagles almost proved costly, with Will Gibson finding Brewster on the lead but his shot missed.
A nice pass into space set up the Industrials’ fourth goal as the visitor took a handy-lead. In what would sum up the home sides’ afternoon, an Ellinbank pass clean bowled its intended target late in the term, only to find a watching Josh Peterson. Ben Wragg and Ash Wallace attempted to switch from defence for the Eagles, but persistent pressure saw the home side cough it up to Jolley, who swooped on the opportunity to convert and open a 34-point lead at the first change.
While Ellinbank controlled much of the possession in the second term, they couldn’t break past half forward to put much needed scoreboard pressure on the visitor.
The Eagles held the Industrials to just one rushed behind for the majority of the quarter but couldn’t threaten the scoreboard themselves.
Mathew Robertson took a mark on the lead for a much-needed shot against the grain, but his shot missed. A long kick in from Gibson threatened to break it open for the Industrials, but Brewster’s snap missed. Brewster was soon in the game again, controlling the mark on the lead but his shot again missed A switch of play set up Jolley for another goal, with the Industrials winning the second quarter despite the Eagles controlling most of the possession.
Brewster and Peterson combined to set up the seventh goal for the Industrials early in the third term, which almost broke the Eagles’ spirit. The Eagles went long to find Mark Vassett for mark over the back at half forward. He proceeded to kick a long goal to draw a Bronx cheer from the Ellinbank crowd.
Unfortunately the joy was short lived with Gibson finding Brewster on the lead, who centered to a teammate for another goal. Jack Blakey then strolled in the open goal as the Industrials continued their dominance.
Ellinbank worked forward to find Robertson on the outside. He converted with a checkside on the run for the Eagles’ second goal. The Industrials held a handy 33-point buffer at the final change and simply never let the Eagles into the contest. The Eagles sent the ball deep for the first major of the final term, only for an Industrials reply to again break their spirit.
In what would prove goal of the day, Blakey ran back with the flight, trapped the ball inside the boundary, doubled back towards half forward and then turned and snapped true in a remarkable goal that would sap any possibility of an Eagles revival.
The Industrials added the next two goals to kill the contest. Ash Wallace created some late cheer for the home side, roving the front of the pack to kick his sides’ fourth.
Warragul & Drouin Gazette

Nilma-Darnum maintained their strong start to the season under new coach Matt Shorey, but weren’t thoroughly convincing in their comfortable Victory over Lang Lang, 14-10 (94) to 96 (60).

Continuing the trend of most other matches across the league; the Tigers entered half time with the scores locked on 37-points a piece.

However from there the Bombers were able to take control, booting five goals to one to open up a handy 26-point buffer at the final change.

The visitors went on with it in the final term, steering through four goals to one to round out a comfortable victory.

Thomas Campbell kicked five goals while Mitchell Dance chipped in with three majors. Jack Ruddell, Nicholas Murray and Chris Larosa also helped the Bombers take control in the second half. Troy McPherson, Josh Brown Sam Kendall Mathew Thompson, William McGindle and Ben Barwick who finished with three goals led an impressive first half effort from the Tigers .

Warragul & Drouin Gazette

POOWONG missed a chance to score its first win of the season. going down to Longwarry away despite leading by 17 points at half time.
Conditions were totally opposite the previous week sunshine and little or no wind. The heat may have been a factor as Longwarry worked hard and pressured the Poowong team and outscored them in the third quarter six goals to three to lead by four points at three quarter time, after a last quarter battle Poowong failed by seven points.
An Anzac service was held prior to the senior game by Kevin Stephens and Russell Motton, both Vietnam veterans.
Poowong lifted after a slow start. Jake Hazendonk kicked the first goal from a free kick. Longwarry responded before a goal to Poowong‘s Ben Hancock from a series of good passes. Hancock again answered a Longwarry goal, converting a free kick to give his side a six point lead at the first change.
The second quarter opened with a goal to Mitch Whiting. Longwarry snapped a goal but this was followed by a brilliant intercept goal by Chris Robinson of Poowong and a goal to Tom Wyatt which gave Poowong a good break at halftime.
Longwarry came out after half time determined to get back into the game and they were the first to get a goal but Poowong replied through Ben Hancock. Longwarry added three goals to get back into the game before Poowong fought back with goals to Chris Doria and Trevor Hooker but Longwarry kicked two late goals to take a four point lead into the final quarter.
The last quarter started with Longwarry kicking two quick goals. Poowong replied with a goal to Doria from a hand ball from Ben Hancock. Longwarry‘s full forward added a goal then Chris Robinson kicked a ripper. But two late goals to Longwarry put them ahead by 13 points. Chris Robinson added a late goal for Poowong and despite the best endeavours they were seven points short at the siren.
Poowong had many players that worked hard. Chris Robinson and Jayden Sullivan were the best while Josh Harvey and Tim Hancock also worked hard down back. Jake Hazendonk, Tom Wyatt and Chris Doria did well around the ground while Ben Hancock and Trevor Hooker worked hard up forward.
Poowong need more pace to open the game up and they must limit the turnovers.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Match review for Catani v Nyora is available to view online without subscription via South Gippsland Sentinel Times. For original article visit

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.