Poowong travelled to Catani to take on last year‘s premiers.
Unfortunately, the rain set in and, with a cool breeze blowing to the forward pocket at the far end netball court side, this made conditions difficult for good football. Poowong was looking to improve on round one’s loss by 17 points and maybe pick up the points if everything went their way. Poowong kicked to the club room end against the breeze.
Both sides were moving the ball quickly in the conditions. Catani opened the scoring with a point but it was Chris Robinson who burst through the pack and kicked Poowong’s first goal followed by a handball from Chris Doria to Jack Hazendonk resulting in their second. The pace of Catani was a worry for Poowong, but players were working hard and forced the ball forward for a point before Catani replied with a goal from a snap. From the resulting bounce Poowong managed a point. Catani then had a purple patch and kicked three goals one to take a 12 point lead. Poowong players around the ground were continuing to battle hard and added a point before a great pick up by Jack Hazendonk resulted in their third goal reducing the lead to five points at quarter time. Poowong’s defence worked hard as the big forwards of Catani were creating a problem.
The second quarter opened with a goal to Catani. Poowong added a point before a pass from Thomas Wyatt to Trevor Hooker resulted in Poowong’s fourth. Catani replied with a point and their sixth goal. Poowong continued to work the ball around the ground with a free kick to Jack Hazendonk just before half time adding their fifth. Half time Catani lead 6.4.40 to Poowong’s 5.5.35, a five point lead.
It was anyones game at half time and Poowong’s defence defending well with Jayden Sullivan the stand out, they were also able to control Catani’s early advantage at the centre bounce. Poowong had to be cleaner and get the ball up forward quicker and avoid some of the tum overs from poor disposals around the ground.

Poowong came out determined to lift their game and a pass from Trevor Hooker to Thomas Wyatt resulted in a point. Catani attacked and added a goal and a point before a good mark to Trevor Hookcr added his second and Poowong‘s sixth. Catani fought back and added another goal and a point before a mark to Steven Joyce added Poowong’s seventh. Catani added a late point for seven point lead at three quarter time 8.7.55 to Poowong 7.6.48.
The last quarter was a real battle with both sides striving for the four points and Catani got a break when a defensive punch from Poowong landed in the goal square and they converted to open up a 13 point lead. Poowong came back hard and added a point before a good pass from Alex Doria found Trevor Hooker to add his third and the Magpies’ eighth. Catani had three late shots resulting in two points and an out of bounds. Poowong added a late point before the siren. Catani was home by seven points 9.9.63 to Poowong 8.8.56.
The Great Southern Star

A ruthless Ellinbank held Nilma Damum scoreless to gain a good percentage boost which may prove important in the tight for fifth place despite inaccurate kicking in front of goal.

Tim Mashado and Mark Vassett ran riot for the wasteful Bankers. The final score of 7.19 (61) to 0.0 (0) tells the story of a woeful after noon for the Bombers.

It is possibly the first time in their EDFL history at senior level that Nilma Darnum have gone scoreless in a senior game.

Hayley Wildes

Pakenham Gazette

Second-placed Longwarry and third-placed Warragul Industrials were expected to play out a finals like match and the contest delivered, with the result hinging on a shot at goal in the final thirty seconds of the match.

With Tyson Bale the Industrials best player and a constant thorn in the opposition’s side the midfielder made one last ditch attempt to level the scores in the final minute, only to be denied by a touch off the boot from a Crows defender. Having earlier kicked away with four goals to one in the first quarter, the Crows held on to win 7-8 (50) to 6-9 (45).

In Shane Ingham’s 100th game, the Industrials weren’t to be denied following their slow start and worked their way back into the contest. Scoring the only goal of the second term to cut the margin to 11 points in what was becoming a dour contest, the Industrials cut the margin to just five points at the final change with two goals to one to give themselves a real chance of victory. At one stage the Industrials wrested the lead, only for the Crows to respond and kick clear again. With the Crows holding a six-point advantage in the dying stages, Bale made a desperate snap in an attempt to draw level but couldn’t clear the hands of a desperate Longwarry defender.

Nicholas Redley held the edge in the ruck duels, while Nathan Fry, Riley Rundell, Danny Wells, Casey Wells and Cole Cook were also instrumental in helping the Crows hold on. Bale, Tye Holland, Michael Ablett, Mitch Davies, Joel Morgan and Shane Brewster led the way to give the Industrials every chance of taking the match.

The win for Longwarry put them two games clear of the Industrials in second position.

Warragul & Drouin Gazette

Neerim-Neerim South put a step between it and the wooden spoon, comfortably accounting for Lang Lang. The Cats simply looked the better team as they cruised to victory, 10-6 (66) to 4-3 (27) to put them four points clear of the Tigers.
Lang Lang would score first through a rushed behind, but their inability to impact the scoreboard on a regular basis and total of 1-3 to three-quarter-time saw them fall to a six goal deficit at the final change. The Tigers showed some fight in the final term but the damage had been done.
Aaron Fawcett made a clearing kick only for the Tigers to win the race for the ball, however the connecting kick couldn’t find the lead and ended up out on the full. It was an early opportunity that went begging and having conceded the first three forward 50 entries, the Cats clicked into gear and looked the far better side for the majority of the contest.
Ben Barwick took a good mark on the lead for the Tigers but in a common theme for the match, the Neerim defenders were able to clear by sheer weight of numbers. A Lang Lang kick from defence was put out on the full in a costly error, but fortunately the Cats didn’t take full toll with the left foot shot missing. Dean Stringer found Dane Fawcett on the lead for the first goal of the match and this sparked the Cats. The Cats received another gift when the Tigers defence again kicked out on the full and this time the home team made no mistake, with Matthew Kelliher’s long shot carrying the pack and sailing through for a goal. Lang Lang switched to work the outer side but again the connecting kick let them down, with Joseph Dalgleish unable to chase the ball down. The Cats sent the ball forward for a goal and were almost set up for a fourth, with Ashley Lockett failing to hold the mark on a long searching lead.
A high kick into forward 50 to open the second term was easy pickings for the Tigers defence. The Tigers pushed f0rward on three occasions but again let themselves down with the connecting kick or by getting outworked by the Cats defenders. A bold switch paid dividends for the Cats to find Daniel Fusinato in space to run into the forward 50 and convert with a smart kick to extend the lead. Clint Fulton won a free kick for a hold at centre half forward, but his shot missed for the Tigers. Clever hands set up Brock Duggan for a much-needed goal for the Tigers ahead of half time, the visitor closing the gap to three goals to generate some belief.
The visitor came out from the half time break early keen to work their way back into the contest, but three quick goals from the Cats quickly put paid to their hopes. Jack Griffiths was starting to make his presence felt for the home side as he kicked truly after leading up to centre half forward. A clever soccer goal from the pocket from Dean Stringer provided further inspiration as the Cats kicked six goals clear.
The Tigers broke through for the first goal of the final term but the dark day for the Tigers continued as Fulton was forced out of the match with an achilles injury, while the Cats scored the next two goals to kill the contest. A snap from front and centre was followed by a Stringer goal on the run and it was beginning to get ugly for the Tigers. Goals from a snap and a free kick restored some respectability to the scoreboard for the Tigers, but the Cats would have the final say with a goal from the pocket. Griffiths and Aaron Fawcett both handled as the Cats threatened to open the Tigers up for an 11th goal, only to be beaten by the siren.
Griffiths, Nathan Bayne, Jackson Ward, Aaron Fawcett, Stringer and Fusinato were all prominent in a strong showing from the Cats. Andrew Thompson, Mark Anderson. Dalgleish, Sam Kendell and Stuart Casey battled against the odds for Lang Lang.
Warragul & Drouin Gazette

Nyora are now two games clear on top of the Ellinbank and District league ladder after another big win, this time against old foe Buln Buln by 53-points. In coach Fia Too Too’s 100th senior appearance, the Saints made sure they got the job done for their fearless leader. A three goal to nothing first quarter was led by recruit Ben Shultz who has been on fire through the midfield and damaging in front of goal since joining the Saints at the start of the season. Regular goal kicker Ilan Osman was also moving well, on his way to a little four goal bag for the afternoon. Inaccuracies hurt Buln Buln in the first term, with three genuine opportunities to kick goals.
The Saints made them pay again in the second quarter when Ryan Spooner cashed in on an error from the Buln Buln defence for a great goal. Schultz and Osman both added to their tallies and the Saints held a 22-point lead at half time.
Jake Baker slotted the first major of the second half for Buln Buln but as we’ve seen in every game so far, this Nyora side never backs down. Jordan Anderson set up Ilan Osman for a beautiful goal, while Ben Hallas snapped a beauty to give the Saints a 41-point lead at the final change.
The Saints continued their dominance right up to the final siren, never letting Buln Buln have an easy possession and locking the ball in attacking 50 for most of the quarter. Schultz kicked his fifth goal and the celebrations began as the Saints undefeated streak goes to 11-0.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times

A post shared by NyoraFNC (@nyorafnc) on

Ellinbank v Nilma Darnum match review taken from article written by Hayley Wildes reporting for Pakenham Gazette. To view original article in full online subscribe to Pakenham Gazette here https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/subscribe/

Nyora v Buln Buln match review taken from article published by South Gippsland Sentinel Times. To view original article in full online subscribe to South Gippsland Sentinel Times here https://subscribe.realviewtechnologies.com/global/subscribe/rvportal/subscribe.aspx?cpid=14264

Catani v Poowong match review taken from article published by The Great Southern Star. To view original article on full online subscribe to The Great Southern Star here https://subscribe.realviewtechnologies.com/global/subscribe/rvportal/subscribe.aspx?cpid=14439

Longwarry v Warragul Industrials and Neerim-Neerim South match reviews taken from articles published by Warragul & Drouin Gazette.To view original articles on full online subscribe to Warragul & Drouin Gazette here http://thegazette.com.au/subscribe/

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.