A STRONG last quarter performance from Stony Creek has led to a convincing 38 point victory over MDU at Meeniyan.

As was the theme for most of the weekend, heavy rain and a strong wind reduced the quality of play but the MDU had clearly improved from their dismal round one performance.

The work of Matt and Tim Harris delighted the home crowd who were met with a much stronger performance than what was dished up against Tarwin. However the Lions under a quality unit and nailed three majors in the opening term to take a seven point lead at quarter time.

It was a mixture of old and new for Stony Creek with Dylan Zuidema and Will Collins mixing well with new recruits Max Homer and Darcy Atkins. Both sides hit the scoreboard in the second quarter despite the conditions with Tom Corry showing exceptional skill in the wet for the Demons. At half time the Lions held a 12 point lead but the Demons refused to go away.

As the rain continued to fall the Demons in the third quarter to bring the home crowd to its feet, but a pair of late goals to the Lions restored the lead to 15 points at the final change. As gallant as they had been for three quarters, the Demons simply ran out of puff in the final quarter with Stony Creek adding six goals to three.

Jacob Byrnes, Anthony Siged and Will Collins all got amongst the goals as the Lions stormed home 38 point winners. Stony will now gear up for a big clash with reigning premier Fish Creek at home, while MDU will travel to Foster to new coach Scott Andersen are Dale Furphy nailed a major for take on the Tigers.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

TARWIN have caused the upset of the weekend, taking down reigning Alberton League premiers Fish Creek by three points at Terrill Park.

Leading at every change and even managing to hold off a late fight back. the Sharks adapted perfectly to the wet conditions. Admittedly inaccuracies in front of goal at vital points in the game may have cost Fish Creek. but you can take nothing away from Tarwin‘s solid group performance.

It was the work of Todd Dobson and Jackson Bloom early on the middle of the ground that got the ball rolling for the Sharks who had a five point lead at quarter time.

Fish Creek hit the scoreboard first in the second quarter through some brilliant ball movement from Brent Cooper and Harrison Hunt. However the Sharks hit back with two of their own and their lead was out to nine points at the half time break.

Stuart Kilsby was a class above for Tarwin all afternoon and he particularly came alive in the third term, leading the way with his attack on the footy. Jari Kennedy and Travis ‘Truck’ Cameron both found the big sticks for the Sharks who were really starting to believe in their ability to steal this game.

The scoreboard wasn’t all that attractive for Fish Creek who had kicked 3.12 up to three quarter time and now trailed by 10 points. The Kangaroos flicked the switch in the last and started to find their range with Sam McGannon, Gareth Park and Bailey Harfield-Park all snagging goals.

Brent Cooper was busting his guts in the midfield trying to pull his team over the line, but three late goals to Tarwin sealed their fate. The siren sounded with ball bouncing around Just outside the Kangaroos’ forward 50 with the Sharks in front by three points.

Two big wins to kick off the season and the Sharks are the team everyone is talking about. They will now look to make it three on the trot as they host Toora at Shark Park, while Fish Creek will travel to take on Stony Creek.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

TOORA has cruised home to defeat Foster by 24 points in solid all round display at Toora.

The Magpies led at every change and despite some face saving goals late from the Tigers. the Magpies always looked in full control. It was the work of Jayden Attard and Bennett Osborne that was particularly impressive for Toora. The two used the ball extremely well and managed to find targets by both hand and foot in the terrible conditions. Matthew Andrews was the main target up forward with three goals along with last year‘s leading goal kicker Luke Manders snagging two.

Toora kept the Tigers scoreless in the first quarter whilst adding two goals of their own. A 15 point lead at quarter time was reduced to 14 at the major break thanks to some great defensive work by the Tigers’ Scott Allott and James Cook. Jack Roper got the first major for Foster who showed a lot more fight in the second quarter. But the Magpies came out fighting in the second half adding five unanswered goals in the third quarter. Lincoln Toner and Jesse Manton were everywhere in the second half, gathering possessions and not allowing their opponents any breathing space.

The Magpies’ lead was stretched to 45 points at three quarter time and given the conditions it would take a miracle to come back from there. A handful of late goals to Tom McGowan, Jon Segat and Brendan Neville made the scoreboard look a tad more respectable for the Tigers who eventually went down by 24 points. Toora will this week travel to Tarwin to take on the early ladder leaders, while Foster will be looking for their first win against MDU at home.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.