A MASSIVE third quarter from Foster has secured back to back victories for the Tigers as they defeated Toora by 23-points in front of an excited home crowd.

The Tigers trailed by two points at half time and many expected the Magpies to run over the top of the Tigers in the second half. But a seven goal to two third quarter had the Tigers’ faithful on their feet and cheering their boys home.

Tom McGowan was the man up forward with four goals and was well complemented by Brendan Neville, Nathan Grylls and Brad Rooney who all kicked two majors. It was also a stand out game from Tiger ruckman Kieran Bohn, the big unit gave his mids first use of the footy at almost every contest and was a great target around the ground.

The Tigers came out after the half time break with fire in the belly and got right to work with a goal in the opening few minutes to Josh Toner. From there the goals poured on with McGowan booting his fourth and the small forwards doing plenty of damage. A pair of late goals to Toora did leave the door slightly ajar, but with a 29-point lead and a roaring home crowd behind them the Tigers were going to take some stopping.

The Magpies booted the first of the final quarter through Bennett Osborne but the Tigers didn’t panic, going into defence mode for the next few minutes. Credit must go to the Tigers’ defence that weathered the storm early in the day and really controlled the game from the back half. A pair of late goals to the Tigers extended the lead to 23-points at the final siren and Tiger land was again a happy place.

This Foster team appears to have found its groove after a slow start to the season and will now look to make it three wins in a row when they take on MDU at Meeniyan, while Toora will look to bounce back against Tarwin at home.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

THE Kangaroos took revenge for its first round loss against the Sharks on Saturday in what was a dominant performance that left everyone at Shark Park in no doubt the Fish Creek team was coming together nicely.
The Sharks welcomed Justin Pellicano into its team for his first game and he will get better with each week no doubt, but he like all of the other Sharks players were left in awe yesterday at the dominance from the opening bounce. The Sharks won the toss and kicked to the town end and the match got underway in absolutely perfect conditions. It was evident from very early on the Fish Creek team was keen to make amends for the round one loss to the Sharks.
Four goals in the first 12 minutes to Hunt, Wilson, Shaw and Smith and the Kangaroos were away and looking extremely dangerous. Jack Hayes had the job on the dangerous Pellicano and Hayes like he has done to most key forwards was very good. Smith was electric up ferward and his pace was proving very difficult to curtail. Harfield-Park scored another goal on the siren to give the Kangaroos a healthy 31 point lead at the first change. The Sharks boys on the receiving end from their coach at the quarter time huddle while the Fish Creek coach asked for more of the same from his boys.
More of the same was in store for Tarwin with Shaw goaling early and then Cooper added another after marking strongly. Cooper was instrumental up forward and he is surely one of the premier marking forwards in the competition, so much so he had his second opponent after leading Weston a merry dance through the opening part of the match. The third of the quarter to Fish Creek was the goal of the match when youngster Wilson kicked to Park who passed to Adlington, his handball found Robertshaw who goaled to push the margin out to 48 points. Tarwin continued to fight and when Jari Kennedy got their first goal of the day at the 14 minute mark of the term, the Sharks fans were relieved. Fish Creek ended the half with the final goal to Hunt and at the main break it was Fish Creek by 49 points.
The third quarter was the most even of the match with Fish Creek adding two goals eight points to Tarwin’s two goals one points. The low light was when Troy Toussaint headed to the bench with what looked to be a leg injury. He did not return and the clubs wish him a speedy recovery. Pellicano finally broke the Hayes blanket and goaled on the siren to make the margin at the final break 56 points.
The final quarter belonged to the Kangaroos again and in particular Harry Hunt who managed three more goals to make him the leading goal scorer for the day. With the sting gone from the game the match ended with the Kangaroos showing they are again the team to beat running out big winners by 72 points.
The Great Southern Star


Website: https://www.campingadventuresoz.com.au | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/campingadventuresoz/


Match review excerpts taken from articles written by South Gippsland Sentinel Times and The Great Southern Star. Original articles are available to view online via subscription only.

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.