FOSTER has caused the upset of the weekend defeating the red hot Stony Creek Lions by five points at the Showgrounds.

After a crushing victory over Tarwin last week the Lions would’ve been confident heading into the weekend’s game. But it was clear from the outset that the Tigers weren’t going to let their opponents rule the game. There was plenty of passion early, with some push and shove at both ends of the ground.

The question on everybody’ s mind was ‘who was going to Bergles’, but the defensive unit for the Tigers took it upon themselves to work as one to cut off leads and drop in front of the dangerous forward. Limiting Bergles to four goals was a great result for a forward of his calibre and was key factor in the Tigers upset win.

The battle of the midfields was phenomenal with Josh Toner and Nathan Grylls leading the way for the Tigers alongside Jack Nolan and Will Collins for the Lions.

Foster held a slim six-point lead at halftime in a high scoring first half. The third quarter was an arm wrestle with both teams getting done on the defensive end. Just two behinds were added for the entire third quarter and at the final change the Tigers held on to a four-point lead.

Coach Brad Rooney begged his players for one last ditch effort, to throw caution to the wind and bring home the win for the Tigers’ faithful. However, it was the Lions striking early through Anthony Sigeti and the intensity lifted. But the Tigers didn’t shy away, booting the next three consecutive goals and hanging on for a thrilling five-point win.

Foster’s terrific performance shows that any team on their day is a contender in the Alberton league, with an exciting and fast paced display of football a treat for the watching crowd. The Tigers will gear up to host Toora in the second week of the split round, while Stony Creek will look to bounce back against MDU.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

TARWIN has put themselves back on the winners’ list with a 30-point victory over MDU at Shark Park.

After a disappointing showing against Stony Creek, the Sharks were adamant at bouncing back against the winless Demons. But credit must go to the MDU line up who didn’t give the Sharks an easy run at any stage of the game.

The Demons’ attack on the ball and willingness for the contest made for a very spirited game. Matt Hams and Tom Corry were superb for the Demons, leading from the front and putting their heads straight over the footy.

Unfortunately for MDU the execution was slightly off and the Sharks hit the scoreboard at key stages in the game. Jari Kennedy and Kevin McLean were gelling well up forward for the Sharks combining for six of the 10 goals kicked for the afternoon.

An 11 point quarter time lead stretched to 21 at half time thanks to the work of hard running midfielders Troy Toussaint and Todd Dobson.

Inaccuracies in front of goal left the door ajar for the Demons, but failing to register a score in the third term made the job difficult. The Sharks put the foot down in the last quarter, controlling the play not allowing the Demons to dictate.

Kennedy slotted his fourth goal early in the last quarter as the Sharks marched home to a solid win in front of the home crowd. Tarwin will now prepare for a big clash with Fish Creek at home while the Demons will continue their search for that elusive four points as they take on Stony Creek at the racecourse.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

THE grand final rematch between Toora and Fish Creek was played out on Saturday at Toora and what a cracking match the very big crowd was treated to.
With both sides missing players and particularly the loss of the Magpies’ captain Jack Weston the Pies would need to be at their best to get the Roos. The Pies had the better of the early part of the match really taking it up to the reigning premier. Goals to Andrews who was very lively up forward and Osbourne got the Pies out to a good start. This could have easily been three goals until a certain goal was taken off the Pies after a free kick was given on the goal line for an illegal shepherd.
The Roos attacks weren’t great once again with inaccurate kicking for goals costing them dearly. The result was a goaless opening term while the Pies managed three of their own to take a 16-point lead into the first break.
The Kangas didn't have to wait long into the second term before they finally had their first goal of the day. A good mark to big forward Harry Hunt. Griffin and Attard for the Pies were winning plenty of the ball while Hargrave and Smith were doing the same for the Roos. Fish Creek seemed more in control of the match through the opening part of the quarter, that was until Toora went forward where they looked dangerous. Goals to Scarcella and Manders extended the Toora lead out beyond 20 points and the big home crowd was right behind them.
Two in a row followed for the Kangaroos through Smith and Hunt to reduce the margin to seven points, but the Magpies answered again to take a 12-point lead into the second half. Pintus was reported early in the third term and sent from the ground for the remainder of the day while Fish Creek lost their first gamer for the year, junior Liam Howard who was off to hospital with facial injuries and a possible concussion. This seemed to spark the Kangaroos and a five goal to two quarter gave them the lead for the first time and sent them into the final quarter with a five-point lead.
Both coaches were vocal in their respective huddles and the message was clear, work hard and stick to the game plan. It was the Fish Creek team that started the better and they went straight into attack where the forward pressure from the likes of Smith, Shaw, Hargrave and McGannon was giving them scoring opportunities.
Two goals to the Kangaroos gave them some, breathing space but the Magpies weren’t done yet and they surged again. Osbourne was presenting very well up forward and a couple of strong contested marks went unrewarded with missed shots on goals. They finally scored the goal they needed to reduce the margin to a couple of goals again but it wasn’t to be and the Roos ensured the final minutes were played on their terms slowing the game and finding targets by chipping the ball around to teammates. A goal after the siren to Smith gave Fish Creek an 18-point win in what was a great game of footy barring the moment of ugliness in the third quarter.
Both of these sides have a bye next week before resuming with Fish Creek taking on Tarwin at Shark Park and Toora taking on the Tigers in Foster.
South Gippsland Sentinel Times

All match reviews taken from South Gippsland Sentinel Times. Original articles are available to view online via subscription only.

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.