TARWIN has continued its positive start to the season, defeating Foster by 26 points at the Foster Showgrounds.

But the Tigers didn’t make it easy for the Sharks, playing a hard and uncompromising brand of football much different to what we saw last weekend. The Tigers jumped the gun and had the early lead, slotting two goals through Tom McGowan and Luke Galle.

But the Sharks fought back and grabbed a one point quarter time lead after a sluggish start to the game. The battle continued into the second quarter with both teams struggling to find the big sticks, basically exchanging possession after forward entries. Troy Toussaint then steadied the ship for the Sharks booting his first of four for the afternoon.

But the Tigers answered through McGowan again. and the home crowd was excited.

Tarwin held a two point lead at the long break as the score line reflected the inaccurate kicking of both sides. Wayward kicking would cost the Sharks dearly in the third quarter booting 1.6 to Foster’s three goals straight, keeping the Tigers within touching distance at three quarter time.

But the Sharks put their heads down in the final term and when Dermott Yawney nailed a much needed early goal in the last quarter the momentum shift began. The more polished Sharks ran away with the game and continued their unbeaten start in 2018.

Foster can hold their heads high after a solid performance against one of Alberton‘s top teams. They will now travel to Fish Creek to take on the Kangaroos while the Sharks will take on Stony Creek in the match of the round at the racecourse.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

IT WAS a very one sided match the crowd was treated to when Fish Creek played MDU at home on Saturday.

In absolutely perfect conditions, Fishy welcomed local boy Jordan Shaw back home and into the side after missing the opening couple of rounds recovering from injury. With Shaw’s arrival, youngster Jake Buckland received the unfortunate news that a knee injury sustained in Round 2 will require a full knee reconstruction, bringing an early end to his season.

The match got underway with Fishy doing all of the attacking but, as has been their problem in years gone by, their goal kicking was frustratingly inaccurate, with several set shot misses in the opening minutes. Although the Kangas had 100 per cent of the play in their forward 50, it wasn’t until the eight minute mark that big forward Harry Hunt snapped the opening goal of the match. This seemed to be the trigger for further goals to Oaten and Hargrave, and a couple to Captain Cooper had the margin at 36 points at the opening change, with MDU flooding back in an attempt to quell the scoring.

The second quarter was much the same. Two quick goals to Justin Smith for Fish Creek were followed again by a flurry of behinds to the Kangaroos. Fishy strangled the MDU side, allowing them less than a dozen forward 50 entries in the first half whilst controlling the game with many great players including Owen Straw, who controlled his wing for the second week in a row, while Smith, Cooper, Hargrave, Voorham, Harfield Park and Park were all prolific ball winners. For the Demons, Cox, Hickey, Thorson and Wright all battled hard, but heading into the main change, it was the Kangaroos in total control and up by 76 points while keeping MDU scoreless.

The third quarter was the Demons’ best as they managed goals to Wright and Tim Harris. But Fishy weren’t to be outdone, putting on five goals themselves to extend the margin out to 97 points going into the last quarter.

While the heat had gone out of the game, the weather was absolutely perfect for footy and the Kangaroos marched on with another quarter of domination, controlling the footy and only allowing the Demons a handful of attacking moves forward. Fishy put on another four goals to close the game with a huge 127 point win.

The Kangaroos are at home again next week to Foster, while MDU are also at home to Toora.

South Gippsland Sentinel Times

From the outset, Toora felt like they were on the back foot.

With up to 4 key players out injured, including Luke Manders and big WAFL recruit Jesse Manton, may have crept into the Magpies' psyche pre game, though in didn't show in their endeavour for the start of the game.

In what was a to-and-fro of momentum in the first quarter, there wasn't much between Toora and Stony Creek. The Lions were good early, but the Magpies' ferocity at the contest kept reeling them back in the game. Kael Bergles was dangerous early for Stony, kicking three goals in the first term. His ability to use his out body his opponent in one-on-one contests proved to be advantageous for the Lions, whose midfielders kept driving the ball inside 50. Anthony Sigeti was also dangerous up forward early with 2 goals of his own, testing the mettle of Toora's defence. But every time Stony looked like slipping away, Toora would manage to snag a goal through sheer hard work, which would thrust the trend of the game back in their favour.

The second term told a slightly different story, as Stony Creek upped their efforts. The quarter was a bit of a scrap at times, but the Lions managed to capitalise on their forward 50 entries a lot better than Toora. Bergles was still posing a threat, while the lively Michael Milivojevic sprang into action, kicking a nice running goal early in the term. Toora were still in the game when they hit up Matt Andrews on a lead who slotted a nice set shot from 40m out. But in the last five minutes of the quarter Stony kicked 3 goals in quick succession through some hard defensive work in their forward 50 and a successful set shot from Milivojevic. All of a sudden, the Lions found themselves 32 points up at half time.

After the main break, both sides came out firing. Toora set up the first scoring opportunity which was rushed through for a behind. The ball then flung straight back down the other end of the ground for a Stony Creek goal after Kael Bergles ran onto a ball strategically kicked in front of him. Jack Weston showed some great signs in trying to lift his team back in the game. His run and carry was exemplary throughout the game, though the lack of reward for effort was beginning to frustrate both himself and his team. A spot fire between the two clubs lit up and while the Pies managed to get a goal out of the kerfuffle, the Lions kicked the next two to further stretch out their lead. After this, Stony Creek started to become a bit undisciplined with some back chat to umpires, who were having none of it, but despite the 50m penalties given away Toora were unable to capitalise on it. The Magpies managed to kick a goal on siren of 3/4 time, though it this stage they found themselves 44 points in arrears.

The last term saw Toora attempting to peg back the lead, which was not helped when Kael Bergles added to his goal tally after taking a nice mark in the goal square within the first 3 minutes of the term. After this the Magpies peppered away at goals, once again without much reward for effort. After initially responding to the Lions goal with one of their own, they squandered their opportunities with 3 straight behinds. The spectators would not see another goal scored for the remainder of the game, with about 10 minutes in the middle of the final term yoyo-ing between the two team's 50m arcs, with the occasional behind thrown in for good measure.

Stony Creek managed to outclass their opponents on their home deck through their cleaner and more efficient skills, especially with their forward 50 entries. Hayden Egerton, Andrew Logan and Dylan Atkins all served the Lions well. Kael Bergles finished with 8 goals for the match, while Michael Milivojevic finished with 3 of his own and was lively in attack.

For Toora, Jack Weston tried hard all day and was well accompanied by Brett Scarcella, Rhett Moor and Lincoln Toner. Former Brisbane and St Kilda player Jayden Attard finished with 3 goals, while Matt Andrews was a good focal point up forward and kicked 3 as well.


Gippsland Footy admin

Shared by Gippsland Footy admin. Any factual errors or copyright breaches in this post are unintentional and should be brought to the attention of Gippsland Footy. Any factual errors in any shared links should be brought to the attention of the original poster.